Getting the Core i7 tomorrow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I just can't my mind around why you would buy an i7 when you have an e8400 running over 4GHz. But that's just me. :D

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No, I didn't know. I'm an old school Prime95er for about 10 years, but didn't know there was a newer version that did this. I downloaded version 25.7 and can now see what you are talking about. Thanks!

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
I just can't my mind around why you would buy an i7 when you have an e8400 running over 4GHz. But that's just me. :D

Unless you are doing rendering or encoding it is bragging rights.

That's the way it is for me, I have absolutely no need for i7 (all I do is game) yet I still want it, despite the costs. :D

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Extelleron

Unless you are doing rendering or encoding it is bragging rights.

That's the way it is for me, I have absolutely no need for i7 (all I do is game) yet I still want it, despite the costs. :D

I do wonder at times just what the typical consumer with an i7 is doing with their i7.

For me it would be a no-brainer, I run multiple instances of a single-threaded app in which each instance fully loads a core to 100% 24x7. But my app of interest probably has <10,000 users world-wide so I know I am not the typical user.

Is i7 intended for the lucrative at-home encoders and rendering folks? Is there such a big crowd?

Not that going for the big bad ass rig is not an acceptable rational. Heck Nascar, formula 1, etc are based on the idea that some folks simply like to watch other folks run rigs that have no practical value in everyday life.

(yes I know I am abouts to get flamed by the nascar fans here for suggesting there is no day-to-day practical value of a nascar car in our commute to work life...am prepared to be proved wrong :))

At any rate if we scrutinized our car purchasing decisions as closely as we scrutinize our computer purchasing decision then we'd all be driving 150mpg golf carts at 20mph. None of us really need a 20mpg 270hp V6 AWD vehicle to drive 20 miles on pavement to work every day. But we still buy/drive them anyways!

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I sometimes feel like the only person not at all excited or interested in i7. Maybe that's because I just built this box and I still can't believe how awesome everything runs. If things were faster, even 50 percent faster, I really wouldn't notice.

Gimme 2 years at least.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: nerp
I sometimes feel like the only person not at all excited or interested in i7. Maybe that's because I just built this box and I still can't believe how awesome everything runs. If things were faster, even 50 percent faster, I really wouldn't notice.

Gimme 2 years at least.

You are right to feel that way. Intel didn't build i7 to be the upgrade of choice for everyone.

There are millions of folks in your situation where increasing your CPU speed will not make a meaningful improvement in your computing experience.

Migrating to an SSD would probably be the wiser investment if you really wanted to see things change.

But for you, and the other million folks out there with 3GHz Penryns, that is what Intel is building Westmere for. Westmere is not an upgrade cycle for i7 buyers, it is for all us Kentsfield/Penryn owners.

(just referring to desktop markets only here, server and mobile markets are different of course for power reasons)

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007

Yeah, the benchmarks pretty much show its pointless, Ahhhh i wish i had money to throw down the drain.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
i will no doubt be buying an i7 rig at some point (as soon as i get the money). im still feeling the pain of my single core athlon 4000+ 939 socket CPU (pratically impossible to find an upgrade for now). considering that i cant even do some of the power user stuff on it anymore because of how impossible it is to even browse while listening to music and ripping even a single CD to FLAC, an i7 upgrade doesnt seem unreasonable, especially considering my upgrade cycle typically goes twice as long as most enthusiasts lol

AuDioFreaK39

Aug 7, 2006
twitter.com
Well, I just got back from MicroCenter in Tustin, and even after tax, I paid $32 less than I would've on Newegg. :) They had 10 Core i7 965 Extreme's and 25 Core i7 920's in stock (well, 9 and 24 now ). ;) However, they only had 3GB and 6GB Patriot 1600MHz memory kits, so I grabbed them for now just to get my rig up and running for launch... They were also supposed to have the 6GB Corsair kits, but after the employees searched their stock for over 20 minutes they simply couldn't find any in their inventory.

I'm still waiting on the Dominator 1866MHz kit though. :thumbsup:

http://i57.photobucket.com/alb...%20Launch/IMG_0572.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/alb...%20Launch/IMG_0575.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/alb...%20Launch/IMG_0577.jpg

Looks like someone at Intel screwed up when they misplaced this sticker. Meh, it's not the end of the world, I'll just peel it up with a blow dryer.

http://i57.photobucket.com/alb...%20Launch/IMG_0579.jpg