Getting tempted by Playstation VR

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
All right, I play on PC and rarely use a console; but I got a PS4 Pro thinking it could play old PS3 games (it can't) and basically use it for Burnout Paradise remastered.

I could get VR for PC, and it has a much better library, though I was waiting for 2.0; but now PS VR is only $230 for the Skyrim bundle at Costco. That's pretty darn tempting.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Eh...I've heard good things about some titles but average things about the hardware (low FPS for example when compared to PC based solutions).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Eh...I've heard good things about some titles but average things about the hardware (low FPS for example when compared to PC based solutions).

One factor is that a review said they're the most comfortable for people wearing glasses. Another one I tried on wasn't.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I've used it, it's fine for what it is. I also have Vive and Rift but once the wow factor wears off, VR is very meh. Mine collects dust mostly since there are not any VR games that I really care to play. I do use VorpX so I can have a 3D effect in desktop games and use the theater screen to watch 3D movies. It's sad that the best gaming experiences with VR for me is playing GTA 5 in first person mode with VorpX.

I learned that I can take a BR 3D movie and use DVDFab trial version to make a side by side conversion copy. There's a little watermark at the top of the screen but isn't bothersome. 4k videos look decent through VR but the resolution for games is crap and the library of games is crap so I wouldn't recommend it. PSVR has a couple decent exclusives but not worth it imo.

You might wait until the end of the year when they release the Pimax 8k. It will have 200 degree FOV and upscale to 4k and the ability to attach modules to it in the future. It's fully functional with Vive 2.0 tracking and they are currently working to get 360 degree tracking working with just one base station.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I strongly recommend PSVR if you have a PS4 Pro and don't have a VR on PC already. It's great and there are a lot of games that are cheap too because they have been around for a while. RE7, Farpoint (with Aim controler), and Moss are 3 of the coolest video game experiences I've ever had, probably since the first time I ever played Mario 64.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I strongly recommend PSVR if you have a PS4 Pro and don't have a VR on PC already. It's great and there are a lot of games that are cheap too because they have been around for a while. RE7, Farpoint (with Aim controler), and Moss are 3 of the coolest video game experiences I've ever had, probably since the first time I ever played Mario 64.

Well, the Costco sale just ended, now it's $100 more there. Good to know though. I was getting close to thinking it was good to get, but the seemingly huge amount more titles made me consider waiting for a new PC one, hm.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well, the Costco sale just ended, now it's $100 more there. Good to know though. I was getting close to thinking it was good to get, but the seemingly huge amount more titles made me consider waiting for a new PC one, hm.
They have sales like bi-annually now of $100 off. I got it for $350 (normal price $450) when v2 first came out around Thanksgiving last year. I think this $100 off sale now was due to E3 just happening. The "normal" price now seems to be $330 which IMO is still a great price for it. At $230 that would have been a no brainer purchase IMO.

I haven't used mine in like 2 months since God of War came out, but it's just because I haven't had much time to game in general, and when I have been gaming, God of War has taken up all of my time. I also just got Mario Aces so I may be trying that out for a bit, but I typically play my Switch more when flying rather than when at home. But prior to God of War, PSVR is basically all I had played since Thanksgiving.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
They have sales like bi-annually now of $100 off. I got it for $350 (normal price $450) when v2 first came out around Thanksgiving last year. I think this $100 off sale now was due to E3 just happening. The "normal" price now seems to be $330 which IMO is still a great price for it. At $230 that would have been a no brainer purchase IMO.

I haven't used mine in like 2 months since God of War came out, but it's just because I haven't had much time to game in general, and when I have been gaming, God of War has taken up all of my time. I also just got Mario Aces so I may be trying that out for a bit, but I typically play my Switch more when flying rather than when at home. But prior to God of War, PSVR is basically all I had played since Thanksgiving.

If you'd posted a little earlier I might have got it. That bi-annual schedule makes it worth thinking more about what will be out on PC by then.

One odd thing I noticed, the Doom bundle was $50 cheaper, but Skyrim was on sale for $25 - so buying the Doom bundle and Skyrim separately would seem to make sense.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If you'd posted a little earlier I might have got it. That bi-annual schedule makes it worth thinking more about what will be out on PC by then.

One odd thing I noticed, the Doom bundle was $50 cheaper, but Skyrim was on sale for $25 - so buying the Doom bundle and Skyrim separately would seem to make sense.
The Doom bundle doesn't come with the Move controllers whereas the Skyrim bundle does.

I still have Skyrim sealed and would sell it as well if you were interested.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The Doom bundle doesn't come with the Move controllers whereas the Skyrim bundle does.

I still have Skyrim sealed and would sell it as well if you were interested.

Ah I see. How much would you like for it, how did you end up with an extra to sell?

I have an extra new PS4 to get rid of because I bought the PS4 Pro...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ah I see. How much would you like for it, how did you end up with an extra to sell?

I have an extra new PS4 to get rid of because I bought the PS4 Pro...
I don't have an extra, it's the one that came with the bundle. I don't care for Skyrim at all and I just wanted the V2 if I was going to get one so that was the only way to get it at the time.

I don't think I'd go any lower than the $25 that you said you could get it for, so like $25 shipped is what I would do with it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't have an extra, it's the one that came with the bundle. I don't care for Skyrim at all and I just wanted the V2 if I was going to get one so that was the only way to get it at the time.

I don't think I'd go any lower than the $25 that you said you could get it for, so like $25 shipped is what I would do with it.

Ah, I see. You sort of talked me into getting the Skyrim bundle though if I got a system, since only it has the controllers.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Also have Vive and Rift and picked up the PSVR during the many sales this summer. I think for the price the PSVR is by far the best bang for buck. I wear glasses and they all "kinda" say they will work, but rift is almost impossible to use (something i think they gloss over in reviews far to much) for me.. I had to hack the plastic to make it even remotely usable for me( yes there are $100-300 lens i can buy 3rd party too) The Vive is much better with glasses, but the PSVR seems the best for me with glasses. THAT has nothing to do with quality of product play, but when you feel like you have your glasses pushing into your face, the game play no matter how great is hard to get into. I do have to agree with Hexen, after the first days with each, i have little desire to go back even with new games. The PC with 2 setups and so on is a pain, so i tend to gravitate to the PSVR as its simpler to get going when you have not been using it. I like the Vive Headset best, the Rift controlers best, and the PSVR overall simple setup.. It really is "they all have there points" deal as so many say.. but for the $200 I paid for the PSVR with GT.. it was by far the best deal to just get in and try VR.. Rift was close at $300, if the dang headset fit me better it would be looked on with more love.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Ya, the tradeoffs for me currently look like PSVR advantages are comfort with glasses, ease of use, and value - the main thing tempting about PC are the far more titles. So, we'll see between when the PSVR is on sale again or if a more comfortable model comes out for PC that's a decent value.