Getting High CPU temperatures under load? i7 6700K (STOCK) HELP? BAD CPU OR BAD MoBo?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Hello everyone. I have posted about my rollercoaster trip with this Motherboard and my previous issues with temperatures last year. This was mostly due to using a Stock Intel cooler after having built the Computer (Bought it my self, my mistake *Copper)

However ever since I have being using a Cryorig M9i just for Stock settings no Overclocking and have read several reviews online (3 or 4) showing benchmarks using the Cryorig M9i and its ideal for normal use but not really Over clocking and I am not going to Overclock. So please don't ask me to buy a new cooler, I can't right now.

Problem is I have to constantly undervolt my Vcore Voltage in BIOS to the lowest negative offset possible in order for my temperatures not to Go extremely high while Gaming or even Stress test like Real Bench and PRIME95 26.6

So here is the thing, I am blind and lost about this but I know many of you are using and have used i7 6700K and are familiar with it so I want to see what you guys think. Yes I know that Cooler is pretty weak and should probably get something better but its perfect for Daily gaming and No overclocking. My temperatures while playing Madden 2019 and having my Vcore to a negative offset of -0.80 makes my Temperatures reach in 40 minutes around 75c.(MAX)

I keep having constant BSOD too, almost 4 today just this morning.

I would love to have a NORMAL Operating Machine, where I can just put everything in it together which I can do easily and have it running with no issues all day long.

WARNING Very stupid: With the Stock Intel Cooler at the time almost 2 years ago I reached the Max of 100c and ran it like that for a full year (while gaming constantly) It was my first time building a Computer also from what I learned in class at the College, I can build it under 40 minutes now no issues but back then I did the mistake of not pushing in the Pins on the Stock cooler all the way in so it wasn't Cooling the CPU properly causing me to reach 100c. I never thought the entire year (2016) to Monitor temperatures until I came across it online that its good to do that. So using HWMonitor I noticed I was reaching 100c. I checked, until finally I realized ONE single pin on the CPU Cooler wasn't pushed all the way in. That was in 2016 Early 2017.

In 2017 I RMA'd my Motherboard and got a replacement. I have kept the same CPU since. I have upwards of 900 hours on Rainbow Six Siege in 2 years, I play almost every day and do use it every day, it runs fine overall, not slow except that NOW Its still reaching Too high Load Temperatures and have being getting lots of BSOD Recently. I looked Event Viewer Logs and found out the BSOD was related to Voltage, so I undervolted from -0.85 to a More stable -0.60 which in fact did allow me to Play madden without getting the BSOD and run PRIME95 for 30 minutes and Real Bench for 30 minutes with no issues. yes I know I should run for longer.

ALL This craziness being said. I want a good NORMAL Working Computer. Is this the CPU or the MoBo? (MoBo is a replacement already) That's why I want to hear from other i7 6700k Users and see your opinions, please.

Do you guys think I should RMA THE CPU? Or Sell this Motherboard and buy a new one?

Idle 33-35
Load: Only Tested on Madden 19 after the Undervolt @75c after 40 minutes.

What could be causing this Overheating issue? the CPU from running @100c for 1 year or something with the Motherboard again?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, no-one else wants to take a shot at this?

My personal feeling is, that you probably screwed up the mounting of your new cooler somehow as well, and that's why you're getting such high temps.

However, if you had that CPU running at 100C for over a year (NOT advised), then I suppose it's almost equally possible that you've degraded your CPU, and now it takes more voltage to run, and runs hotter.

Quite frankly though, I commend you on trying to undervolt to reduce temps, but it sounds like honestly, you're undervolting too much, and that's the cause of your BSODs.

What happens if you clear CMOS, and then just run it "normally", without any BIOS under-volting.

What are your temps in Windows, idle and load?

If your idle temp is high, it can indicate poor CPU cooler mounting. (Well, if any temp is high.)

If load temp is 100C again, then either your mounting is bad, or your CPU is degraded, and needs to be RMA'ed (if possible).

Even if it runs at 100C under load, does it still BSOD without any undervolting?

Double-check your cooler mounts, but if it's BSOD'ing at stock, regardless of temp, then I think that it would be grounds for an RMA.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Is case ventilation insufficient?

Is there a GPU blowing hot air right into the CPU cooler?

Note that Prime95 will make the CPU hot even with a very good cooling setup. This is because Intel applies a very thick layer of polymer paste between die and metal cap. Edit, in addition, Skylake does not offer a negative AVX clock offset like Broadwell-E(P) have and Kabylake can and should have. I don't think BIOSes set such an offset for Kabylake by default, although they really should IMO.

Last edited:

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Hmm, no-one else wants to take a shot at this?

My personal feeling is, that you probably screwed up the mounting of your new cooler somehow as well, and that's why you're getting such high temps.

However, if you had that CPU running at 100C for over a year (NOT advised), then I suppose it's almost equally possible that you've degraded your CPU, and now it takes more voltage to run, and runs hotter.

Quite frankly though, I commend you on trying to undervolt to reduce temps, but it sounds like honestly, you're undervolting too much, and that's the cause of your BSODs.

What happens if you clear CMOS, and then just run it "normally", without any BIOS under-volting.

What are your temps in Windows, idle and load?

If your idle temp is high, it can indicate poor CPU cooler mounting. (Well, if any temp is high.)

If load temp is 100C again, then either your mounting is bad, or your CPU is degraded, and needs to be RMA'ed (if possible).

Even if it runs at 100C under load, does it still BSOD without any undervolting?

Double-check your cooler mounts, but if it's BSOD'ing at stock, regardless of temp, then I think that it would be grounds for an RMA.

No I now use the Cryorig M9i for about a year, that one is well installed.

If I run Stock Voltage by clearing CMOS or Enabling defaults on the BIOS my Load temps after R6 Siege for 30 minutes are 74c load and Idle 32-35c

If I undervolt to a negative offset of -0.65 lowest stable undervolt I can get my Temps are Idle=35c Load 71-72 (No more) on Siege. It just seems a bit high.

I don't think my Temperatures should be this high just on gaming anyway.

I've seeing benchmarks that the Cryorig M9i with the i7 6700k Overclock to like 4.2 was staying at 70c under load. LINK BELOW
https://www.hardwareslave.com/reviews/cooling/cryorig-m9i-intel-cpu-cooler-review/5/

Last edited:

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Is case ventilation insufficient?

Is there a GPU blowing hot air right into the CPU cooler?

Note that Prime95 will make the CPU hot even with a very good cooling setup. This is because Intel applies a very thick layer of polymer paste between die and metal cap. Edit, in addition, Skylake does not offer a negative AVX clock offset like Broadwell-E(P) have and Kabylake can and should have. I don't think BIOSes set such an offset for Kabylake by default, although they really should IMO.
Cooling is fine, 2 Front fans 2 Top fans blowing out and the rear exhaust fan. For the CPU Cryorig M9i and 100% sure its well installed.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you concerned that your load temps are too high? (75C under gaming load, and 80C under stress-test, are not too high, although they're getting "up there".)

Or are you concerned that you are seeing temps higher than, and not exactly equal to, some review that you read on the internet? If your temps are in the ball-park (not higher than 10C over), then I really wouldn't obsess over it. They might have been comparing in an open-air bench setup, and not a closed-case. They may also have been using a bigger case, or one with better air-flow.

Hard to say.

I would NOT undervolt past the edge of stability, just because you are 2C higher than some internet review benchmarking.

Edit: If you're really concerned, get a Noctua, BeQuiet Dark Rock 3/4, or a nice 240/280mm AIO WC kit.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Are you concerned that your load temps are too high? (75C under gaming load, and 80C under stress-test, are not too high, although they're getting "up there".)

Or are you concerned that you are seeing temps higher than, and not exactly equal to, some review that you read on the internet? If your temps are in the ball-park (not higher than 10C over), then I really wouldn't obsess over it. They might have been comparing in an open-air bench setup, and not a closed-case. They may also have been using a bigger case, or one with better air-flow.

Hard to say.

I would NOT undervolt past the edge of stability, just because you are 2C higher than some internet review benchmarking.

Pretty much a little bit of everything you mentioned above lol it just bugs me. but if you sincerely think that 74c from gaming isn't too bad and I can keep gaming that way then I guess I'll be at ease with what you say.

I've looked up a lot of stuff and found that a lot of people are getting way better Load Gaming Temps on their i7 6700k Stock or even Overclock than compared to mine. That's all.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Pretty much a little bit of everything you mentioned above lol it just bugs me. but if you sincerely think that 74c from gaming isn't too bad and I can keep gaming that way then I guess I'll be at ease with what you say.

I've looked up a lot of stuff and found that a lot of people are getting way better Load Gaming Temps on their i7 6700k Stock or even Overclock than compared to mine. That's all.
I agree that while 74c is s little high, it will no way degrade your CPU further. Wait until you need to upgrade the platform if nothing else changes.

Reactions: Drazick

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I agree that while 74c is s little high, it will no way degrade your CPU further. Wait until you need to upgrade the platform if nothing else changes.
Thank you Admin! exactly what I was feeling as well.

What LGA 1151 Motherboard would you guys suggest that you guys know of that wouldn't have Volting or Temperature issues? Looking for anything below $130 might do used too. Just throw me some suggestions please.

Heck it could be even be $225 since I'll look on eBay for a used one.

Thanks guys.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
but if you sincerely think that 74c from gaming isn't too bad and I can keep gaming that way then I guess I'll be at ease with what you say.
Would it make you feel more at ease, if I told you that current video cards from AMD and Nvidia, run them up to around 90C? I don't personally like that either, as I've had issues with cards when the fans stop spinning (2x spacing, dual-cards, not a good thing, LOL), so I manually adjust my AMD GPUs with WattMan and set a temp limit a little below 85C. Just personal preference. I figure that they will last longer. (Had an XFX RX 470 semi-burn-out, due to default settings, smelled things "cooking" - electronic smell, not good.)

But under 80C? For an Intel CPU, or a GPU, generally, that's OK. Much higher than that, I would be concerned. (My Ryzen first-gen CPUs tend to get a little unstable around 83-85C, and tend to re-boot.)

For older AMD AM2/AM2+ CPUs, the temp threshold for acceptable temps was around 60-63C, any higher and you risked a BSOD. Intel has been 85C/90C/100C-ish for temp limits, ever since Core2 CPUs.

Edit: I wouldn't look to another motherboard to help your temps. Look at your case airflow, ambient temps, and CPU cooler, not necessarily in that order.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Thank you Admin! exactly what I was feeling as well.

What LGA 1151 Motherboard would you guys suggest that you guys know of that wouldn't have Volting or Temperature issues? Looking for anything below $130 might do used too. Just throw me some suggestions please.

Heck it could be even be $225 since I'll look on eBay for a used one.

Thanks guys.
Don't even think about that. If you want a new motherboard, also replace the CPU. Ryzen are lower power and run cooler IMO at the moment, but for gaming the 8700k is king. Depends on usage and budget.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Don't even think about that. If you want a new motherboard, also replace the CPU. Ryzen are lower power and run cooler IMO at the moment, but for gaming the 8700k is king. Depends on usage and budget.

I don't have any money right now. I can RMA My CPU and get a replacement and sell my Motherboard and buy a new one but that's my only options. I am going to build a new computer next year but for now its all I can do. Not working right now.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Have you reapplied thermal paste again?

Do you play at 60hz or 144hz and higher? If you are at 60hz, you can play at 3.0 GHz just fine. Siege is incredibly stressful if you let the game run at an uncapped framerate. make sure you enable display game info in Siege options.

I would RMA the cpu anyways. If you have a Z motherboard, you are really missing out on a lot of performance.

If you also really love siege and aren't at 144hz yet, that would be a very important upgrade for you. Here in USA, the prices of a 144hz are often under $150 if you look hard. Good luck.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Have you reapplied thermal paste again?

Do you play at 60hz or 144hz and higher? If you are at 60hz, you can play at 3.0 GHz just fine. Siege is incredibly stressful if you let the game run at an uncapped framerate. make sure you enable display game info in Siege options.

I would RMA the cpu anyways. If you have a Z motherboard, you are really missing out on a lot of performance.

If you also really love siege and aren't at 144hz yet, that would be a very important upgrade for you. Here in USA, the prices of a 144hz are often under $150 if you look hard. Good luck.
Signature Boss <3 :p

144hz is a must at least for 1080p :)

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
100C is the throttle temp, and that's probably why it stayed at 100C, it was throttling hard to maintain that temp and keep running.