Getting BSOD after initial driver installation

cctaylor88

Nov 2, 2012
I have been trying to fix/diagnose this new build non stop for the last two days and just can't get out of the woods. It was initially having problems with memory (still is I believe) as only channel three is working with 1 stick of 8gb memory. We believed it may be because my memory is "overclocked" to 2400 right now and my mobo may only recognize 2133 so I changed that in BIOS.

Anyways... I finally got to the point where I can install some drivers (by using my other computer, and loading the drivers manually on a USB) and then transferring that usb to my new build. Anyways... after installing the main drivers anyone would start with such as usb3/usb3.1 and LAN (I am actually on the new build now) my initial thought is to make a restore point and then restart the computer to just start fresh essentially.

Upon restart the computer gets a BSOD and I am forced to load an older restore point (luckily) so this time I just installed the LAN driver to make this post. My fear is that once I restart or turn my computer off I'll be back to square one... BSOD and I'm just lost at this point. Currently looking at my mob I have memory in slots 1 and 3 and only channel 3 is working. I fear that once I reboot I will get a memory error and start the loop over. I'm just happy that at this exact moment I can at least get LAN installed to talk to you guys.

Any help please?

Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming-7
i7 6700k
2x4gb Averxir Ram Part#AVD4UZ124001608G-2COR
Win7

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
You'll probably get more help in General Hardware rather than CPU & Overclocking.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
I have been trying to fix/diagnose this new build non stop for the last two days and just can't get out of the woods. It was initially having problems with memory (still is I believe) as only channel three is working with 1 stick of 8gb memory. We believed it may be because my memory is "overclocked" to 2400 right now and my mobo may only recognize 2133 so I changed that in BIOS.

Anyways... I finally got to the point where I can install some drivers (by using my other computer, and loading the drivers manually on a USB) and then transferring that usb to my new build. Anyways... after installing the main drivers anyone would start with such as usb3/usb3.1 and LAN (I am actually on the new build now) my initial thought is to make a restore point and then restart the computer to just start fresh essentially.

Upon restart the computer gets a BSOD and I am forced to load an older restore point (luckily) so this time I just installed the LAN driver to make this post. My fear is that once I restart or turn my computer off I'll be back to square one... BSOD and I'm just lost at this point. Currently looking at my mob I have memory in slots 1 and 3 and only channel 3 is working. I fear that once I reboot I will get a memory error and start the loop over. I'm just happy that at this exact moment I can at least get LAN installed to talk to you guys.

Any help please?

Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming-7
i7 6700k
2x4gb Averxir Ram Part#AVD4UZ124001608G-2COR
Win7

If you haven't already, bump up the DRAM voltage a bit above what it is now, especially if it's stock and you are OCing it.

Then before doing anything in windows, verify at least 1 pass in memtest86.

ressonantia

Jun 16, 2016
That kinda sounds like the issue I was having, I have mine running at 3200MHz and I had to increase the VCCIO voltage from 0.96V to 0.965V or something so that the VCCSA voltage increased for the Memory Controller. Give it a try.