getting back pictures

raviramgopal

Jul 23, 2006
i have a canon powershot a550.while checking the free space on the camera ,i accidentally formatted the memory card.is there any way i can get back the pictures.i have taken a few photos after that.

Oct 19, 2000
There are some solutions out there that will definitely be able to help you. The only program I know of is called GetDataBack, and has worked every time I've ever had to use it. It does cost some money, though. As long as your camera only erases the file structure (correct term?) and doesn't zero-fill (correct term?) the entire card (which is very, very doubtful), you should be able to get everything back.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
Quick formats only erase the file index, not the actual data. It basically erases the part of the card that tells anything reading or writing to it where existing files are. If the photos you took after formatting didn't overwrite the actual data of the previous photos, the previous ones should be easily recoverable.
I know that many of the higher-end SanDisk cards come with data recovery software (RescuePro maybe?) that is designed to recover media files. Try that.