Getting an XBOX (for free). What are good games for it??

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I'm getting an XBOX for free in the next month (long story). My question, what are the best games for the XBOX.?? I have been out of the console scene for a LONG time!!!! I need games that can be played without engulfing myself into it for solid weeks, otherwise genre is not important. I like all styles..

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
NHL 2k3 by Segasports, not EA, if you're a sports fan.

Rallisport and Project Gotham Racing are both good.

halo is an obvious choice.

Splinter Cell is amazing.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: N8Magic
I'm getting an XBOX for free in the next month (long story)
I've got time. :D
Me too. It can't be that long!

Anyway get xbox live and mech assault. Also get Halo.

OK, Here's the story. My 87 year old Grandmother won it. She was somehow entered into a contest at the local grocery store and won the XBOX. (OK so the story isn't that long, just unusual). We'll she gave the console to my cousin who is moving to another country so he is giving it to me. ;)

Regardless, I still have this image of my 87 year old grandma playing with the XBOX.... :)

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I will second Splinter Cell. It's worth it just for all the moves the guy can do. Using an enemy as a human shield? You gotta be kidding me!!

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
NHL 2k3 by Segasports, not EA, if you're a sports fan.

Rallisport and Project Gotham Racing are both good.

halo is an obvious choice.

Splinter Cell is amazing.

DEFINITELY agree with NHL 2k3 if you're any type of hockey fan. Project Gotham got old and frustrating for me... Halo is a great 2+ player game. The single player (without playing with a friend) in Halo is as good as 1 or 2 times through in my personal opinion.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Maybe it's just that I've grown up on the NHL (EA) series, but I find that the scoring is semi-random in NHL 2K3. Goalies make some unbelievable saves sometimes, then let in some dude's wrist shot from the top of the circle.

It feels like the goalies were designed to compensate for a weak defensive AI. When I rented it, I always made these sweet plays with passes from a corner to a guy crashing the net, they NEVER worked (and they should, no goalie can stop those consistently). I started a short season while I had the game and only gave up 1 goal in 10 games (although it was on medium difficulty, not max).

That being said, I think that the more recent EA games have the same problem and are less realistic (more arcade-like) to boot. I don't know... I find that the simulation aspect of hockey games isn't that great, despite the fact that it's come a long way in the past few years.

<-- is holding out to see if the AI is better in the 2004 versions

As for game recommendations, no XBox is complete without Halo. Splinter Cell is a ton of fun as well and so is Rallisport Challenge.