Getting AGP 2.0 card to work in 1.0 slot?

ProtoCube

Feb 3, 2002
It says in AnandTech's AGP FAQ, "The AGP standards are fully backwards and forwards compatible: AGP 1.0 cards (1X and 2X capable) have no problems with AGP 2.0 motherboards (1X, 2X, 4X capable) and vice versa." But I just got a new card (VisionTek Xtasy 5632 - GF2 GTS) that says it requires AGP 2.0 (2x or 4x). I have an older motherboard (Intel 82443LX-based) that only has AGP 1.0 (1x or 2x), and the card was locking up in demanding apps (Q3A, 3DMark 2000, IE, Acrobat Reader among others; oddly, it never locked up in Half-Life).

Is the only difference between AGP 1.0 and 2.0 (besides the supported speeds) the voltage? How can I tell what voltage my slot is running at, and is there a way to increase it?

I'll be putting together a new system sometime and putting the card in that, so it's not such a big deal, but I'm curious to know if there's a way to get this card working in my current system in the meantime.

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
AGP 2.0 cards (ie cards capable of AGP4X) are almost always fully compatible with AGP 1.0 motherboards.

The reason why some manufacturers state AGP 2.0 requirements is that some older AGP 1.0 motherboards, ie many 440LX boards, some early 440BX boards and most Super 7 boards, cannot supply enough power to the AGP card. At the time of manufacture, there were very few AGP cards that came anywhere near to the maximum AMP draw of the AGP specification, so many motherboard manufacturers skimped on the voltage regulators. With the advent of the extremely power hungry nVidia TNT, many boards were not able to supply enough power.

The AGP 2.0 specification calls for much higher AMP draw, and with the TNT debacle, all board manufacturers now implement voltage regulators properly.

In your case, since you have an LX board, you probably have one of those boards that cannot supply enough current. Not really much that you can do.
Exactly what model motherboard do you have?

ProtoCube

Feb 3, 2002
OK, interesting - thanks. My computer is a Seanix (Canadian brand), MB model SEA440LX.

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
Seanix seems to make their own boards (or at least they did), and this board does not seem to be an OEM, although it's similar to the Intel Atlanta AL440LX...

Looks like you are out of luck. There are a few voltage mods out there, but they are for specific motherboard models.....from what I have seen, I doubt they would work with your board.

As a short term interim upgrade (fine for a secondary system), you can consider purchasing a new motherboard. Anything BX based will do.

ProtoCube

Feb 3, 2002
Hmm... interesting possibility - I'll think about that. Thanks for all your help, it was most informative! :)

Robo606

Mar 8, 2002
Very interesting discussion. I have a similar situation. Mine is using Intel 440BX chipset. Although Intel website says 440BX is AGP 2.0 compliant, my system spec says I have a AGP 1.0 slot. Maybe my computer is one of those "early" 440BX. (I have a Dell Dimension XPS R400.) Is the power sent to the AGP card solely the function of the chipset or something else?

Since my current video card has only 4M, I am thinking about buying a new card. However, all card on the market today are AGP 2.0 now. Do you know any card that is more AGP 1.0 friendly, and not as power hungry?
Thanks.

AA0

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
My recommendation is to go to an ATI card, they use far less power then anything nvidia throws out. I've used a Rage Fury MAXX (2 gpus) on a super 7 board.

Robo606

Mar 8, 2002
Checked the ATI site. many of their products clearly say "AGP 1.0 compatible," will go with ATI. Thanks.