getting a large amount of cash is tougher than i thought

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
i didn't think to ask about wiring money, and that's a great idea.

Yeah, so long as the wire transfers are free. Some banks charge as much as $30 for each one.

Jun 14, 2003
all i need do is pop to my bank, and i can take out all my £££ in cash or cheque form. i can also ask them to temporarilly raise the limit on the amount i can take from an ATM for a duration of my liking

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe your particular type of account has a daily withdrawal limit, but if it's a vanilla checking account, that would be very unusual.

Assuming that's not the case, then in the future you could call them the day before and tell them you need to withdraw $X in cash the next day and they would accommodate you.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Originally posted by: DeviousTrap
I've gone to the bank and gotten several thousand of dollars in cash without any problems. The only time I've encountered a daily limit is on ATMs.

Same here. If you can't withdrawal your cash in person, you need to find a new bank.

Yes ... REAL banks have no issue providing several thousand dollars in cash!

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07

Yeah, I'm confused. Why didn't thomsbrain just go to the bank/credit union?

You can just ask for whatever you want, however you want.

the nearest actual branch of my CU is over 100 miles away. there are only two branches. the nearest branch of my gf's CU is over 600 miles away. we were dealing with other credit unions who have agreements to provide service to members of our CU's.

we were dealing with live tellers, but not the tellers of the actual institutions with whom we have our money. thus the difficulties.

i think the moral of this story is that credit unions have advantages but they can also be a huge pain in the ass.

would you folks bragging about your banks like to let anyone else in on these mythical checking accounts that pay more than money market accounts?

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Originally posted by: spidey07

Yeah, I'm confused. Why didn't thomsbrain just go to the bank/credit union?

You can just ask for whatever you want, however you want.

the nearest actual branch of my CU is over 100 miles away. there are only two branches. the nearest branch of my gf's CU is over 600 miles away. we were dealing with other credit unions who have agreements to provide service to members of our CU's.

we were dealing with live tellers, but not the tellers of the actual institutions with whom we have our money. thus the difficulties.

i think the moral of this story is that credit unions have advantages but they can also be a huge pain in the ass.

would you folks bragging about your banks like to let anyone else in on these mythical checking accounts that pay more than money market accounts?

There are times you need to go to a branch of the outfit who holds your account. I'm not surprised the CU put a limit on a cash withdrawal - you don't have an account with them. I know some CUs have those agreements with other CUs but you can't expect it to be exactly like dealing with your own CU.

I would never have my primary account with a bank or CU where I could not get to one of their branches in person.

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: DeviousTrap
I've gone to the bank and gotten several thousand of dollars in cash without any problems. The only time I've encountered a daily limit is on ATMs.

Same

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
OP, you need to get a new bank. I check out all our local CUs and their rates would be a bit higher than the local banks but none would beat the high rates from out of state banks such as HSBC/President.

It is your money, why would any of you let the banks charge $3 to $5 to get your OWN money by live tellers or limit the amount of cash to be withdraw <with the exception of ATM>?.

This is how I do my banking. I put my money in a large bank with local branchs < basic checking account with zero fee>. I put all the extra money in high yielding accounts in other banks such as HSBC/President/Emigrant. I save money even more by order checks by mail instead of from the bank.

OP, PM me and I will help you find higher return rates <fully FDIC insured>. You don't have to put up with that.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Couple thousand dollars is no problem. Couple hundred thousand dollars requires advance notice to the bank branch so they can order your money and have it ready.

Trikat

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
you obviously only deal with cash in these situations,
if i were an idiot, perhaps. otherwise i'd be using a cashier's cheque.

As pointed out not all sellers will take cashier's checks I know I wont.

I as a seller wouldn't take cashier checks, maybe money order from the Post Office or Western Union, but that is about it. O yea and ofcourse cash.
If the amount is really high then I probably wouldn't even take money orders at all unless I was there when he got his MO or Cashier C.