Get rid of com 115200?

ManDeJapan

Feb 21, 2001
Hi everybody,

A while back when I was having problems booting, I somehow created another boot up option called com 115200. What happens now is that when my computer is booting, a screen comes up that asks me if i want to put windows xp pro or "com 115200" instead of just booting up straight into win xp pro. Does anyone know how to delete that com 115200 partition and get rid of that option all together?

Thanks,
Mike

Green Man

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Right click 'my computer' and then select the hardware tab. Click on the 'hardware profiles' button near the bottom.
Does it show 2 hardware profiles?

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It's not necessarily a partition that needs to be deleted, since another OS could reside on the same partition and this is just giving you the option to boot to it. You seem to have somehow created a new profile while modifying your computer's serial port settings. Really kind of odd, can't imagine how you did it.

You can also edit the boot.ini file in the root directory, though you must be very careful doing that. If you don't find a second hardware profile, or deleting it doesn't remove the option, then your boot.ini probably will have a listing for both Windows XP Professional and the "com 115200", which it thinks is another OS. You should only need to remove a single line from the file (no wordwrap turned on), which will look similar to the line for WinXP.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
You can also right click on my computer, click advanced and then go into "Startup & Recovery". In there you will have an option to select a default OS to load and tell it not to give you the list.

Jamie

ManDeJapan

Feb 21, 2001
There is only one profile listed under the hardware settings.

When I do what Jamie says, I see the 2 operating system options though so I selected the XP option but still when the computer loads, it comes up with the options. It just has the xp one selected now, but it still waits for the 30 seconds - 1 minute for me to make a selection.

When I go to Jamie's suggestion, it does give me the option of editing the startup options manually, but it allow for me to delete the entire thing in anyway.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You need to delete the line in the file that specifies the com 115200 as an OS option, then save the file. Be very careful not to delete anything else; you may want to make a backup of the file on a floppy disk.