get paid to shop and eat out? total BS??

illmustard

May 9, 2002
i've seen these types of jobs in the newspaper and was wondering "what's the catch?" Is it a marketing/advertising ploy, similiar to those "Work at Home and Get Paid" scams we see posted everywhere? Anyone have any experience with these types of jobs?

HappyFace

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
It's true! Companies will pay you to be a secret shopper, and evaluate the level of service their associates provide, and the product they sell. :)

Smolek

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: illmustard
i've seen these types of jobs in the newspaper and was wondering "what's the catch?" Is it a marketing/advertising ploy, similiar to those "Work at Home and Get Paid" scams we see posted everywhere? Anyone have any experience with these types of jobs?

usually its some type of marketing crap where you have to buy a kit (usually 30-40 dollars) and they will show you how to make money by doing the same.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
i've seen these types of jobs in the newspaper and was wondering "what's the catch"?
The catch is that there are only a very limited number of these positions available through market research or quality assurance companies and the people who do them now do them well. Usually a degree in food science is required for these jobs as food and beverage tasters.

Its sorta like those ads promising 'Postal and Government Jobs' and you pay a $90 application fee. It is true, these companies mat get you hired, but they usually don't. They've got like 20,000 people applying for 10 positions.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: HappyFace
It's true! Companies will pay you to be a secret shopper, and evaluate the level of service their associates provide, and the product they sell. :)

Yep. My brother got $20 from WOTC to secret shop one of their stores.
He also has gone to a number of restaurants under the same program. They give you like $100 towards your tab and you get to keep the extra. The catch is that you are required to order certain things (Like 1 appetizer, 1 salad, one chicken dish, one pasta dish, etc) and often in order to fufill the requirements you end up spending like $150 (you are allowed to bring friends and family, at least :) ), so you don't make a profit. Of course when you consider that 6 people got a 5-course meal and wine and each person paid $10 for it out of pocket, it's really not that bad a deal.

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I've been a Secret Shopper twice. I had to go to a cellular store and do certain things and ask certain questions. You have to make a mental note of everything that goes on. They don't usually pay much, but if you get a few it adds up. It was kind of fun and I'd do it again if ever asked. :)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
It's usually true but the pay isn't that great after you factor in your time and transportation costs.