Get Laptop to be able to use remote connect application when the screen is closed

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I tried everything and it seems to not work now :(

The laptop screen goes off when I close the lid even when I set it not to do that.

Any solutions ?

This is Windows 10.

I don't want to keep the laptop open.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
I'm assuming you are saying the laptop is going to sleep when you close the lid? Can you tell us/show us how you have your settings set?

Also, check this. I'm assuming either Do Nothing or Turn of Monitor would work for your use: https://www.itsupportguides.com/kno...w-to-set-what-happens-when-laptop-lid-closed/

Lastly, if it is going to sleep and/or you want it to go to sleep, you could try setting a Wake On LAN function (depending on your exact needs and connection methods this might not work). For example, I have my server set to sleep and I just wake it up with my phone using a simple downloaded app.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I'm assuming you are saying the laptop is going to sleep when you close the lid? Can you tell us/show us how you have your settings set?

Also, check this. I'm assuming either Do Nothing or Turn of Monitor would work for your use: https://www.itsupportguides.com/kno...w-to-set-what-happens-when-laptop-lid-closed/

Lastly, if it is going to sleep and/or you want it to go to sleep, you could try setting a Wake On LAN function (depending on your exact needs and connection methods this might not work). For example, I have my server set to sleep and I just wake it up with my phone using a simple downloaded app.

I don't think it goes to sleep. The monitor just goes off. Why ?

I already did that with no effect :(

My network shares still work when monitor is closed.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
Wait so, you can still access network shares? That means it's not asleep. I guess I'm not clear then what the problem is if you are able to remotely access things.

Obviously you can't see the monitor when it's closed, so whether or not the monitor is displaying anything shouldn't be relevant.

Can you clarify what exactly you want to work, that isn't when the lid is closed? Also, can you please post a screenshot of your power settings from that link I posted?

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Wait so, you can still access network shares? That means it's not asleep. I guess I'm not clear then what the problem is if you are able to remotely access things.

Obviously you can't see the monitor when it's closed, so whether or not the monitor is displaying anything shouldn't be relevant.

Can you clarify what exactly you want to work, that isn't when the lid is closed? Also, can you please post a screenshot of your power settings from that link I posted?

Sure I want to be able to remote connect to the laptop when the lid is closed. Give me a sec with the screenshot.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
R9Slfig.jpg

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
Ok, so your settings look correct. Make sure everything looks good in the "Change settings that are currently unavailable" menu.

As for connecting, you said you are able to connect to network shares on the laptop with the lid closed, but not remote connect? Can you remote connect when the lid is open? Do you have it set to require a password for remote connection?

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Ok, so your settings look correct. Make sure everything looks good in the "Change settings that are currently unavailable" menu.

As for connecting, you said you are able to connect to network shares on the laptop with the lid closed, but not remote connect? Can you remote connect when the lid is open? Do you have it set to require a password for remote connection?

Yes I can remote connect when the lid is open.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
I'm guessing it's something to do with the laptop power state of the network adapters. The OS isn't going to sleep but the hardware is doing something when the laptop is closed.

If you close the lid while connected does it drop your connection? Maybe check the power settings of the network adapter in Device Manager.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I'm guessing it's something to do with the laptop power state of the network adapters. The OS isn't going to sleep but the hardware is doing something when the laptop is closed.

If you close the lid while connected does it drop your connection? Maybe check the power settings of the network adapter in Device Manager.

No.