Get into bios without keyboard?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Is your motherboard not recognizing the keyboard, or do you just not have a keyboard?

If it's not recognizing a USB keyboard because of settings being changed in the BIOS, you can clear your CMOS and it will reset back to defaults.

If it's booting too fast and not recognizing key strokes, you can unplug your boot drive and it'll prompt you to enter BIOS.

If you just don't have a keyboard, I don't think you can enter the BIOS on most motherboards.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Maybe try to turn on the handicap options for on screen keyboard. Somehow I dont think that will work.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Disconnect your hard drive and perhaps any other bootable peripherals. Just have everything needed to POST. It worked on my Asrock H77M mobo.

Then, you can use your mouse if the BIOS supports a mouse. If it is an old-fashioned text-based BIOS, you are still out of luck without a keyboard.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You're posing a question while providing insufficient information.
What is the reasoning behind not wanting to use a keyboard?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You're posing a question while providing insufficient information.
What is the reasoning behind not wanting to use a keyboard?
He's just asking about the "how". Not why, what happened, or whether he wants to doesn't want to do it that way. But yes, it can be done on some boards.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Some boards have a specific UEFI-access button on the motherboard, that powers-up the board, and goes into the UEFI.

My Lenovo laptops also have that. Very handy!

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I dont know how to enter the BIOS without a keyboard, but if you unplug all boot drives you can probobly get stuck on an ""No boot device found, hit F1 to continue" screen forever.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I dont know how to enter the BIOS without a keyboard, but if you unplug all boot drives you can probobly get stuck on an ""No boot device found, hit F1 to continue" screen forever.
The newer mobos have fancier BIOSes now. Oh, and they automatically boot into BIOS if no bootable media is attached to the system.

Settings that require input of numbers need a keyboard. But certain options can be set with a click of a mouse.

The Asrock H77M does exactly that. It is a fact.