get info from old C drive

mrpergo

Aug 28, 2004
Here's the deal, I bought a new Samsung 830 SSD.
I took the old HD out put the Samsung in and loaded Windows 7 clean install thinking all I had to do to get the info from the old C was to put it in my external esata enclosure and get the info. I'm finding its not that easy.
I pretty much have everything back to normal on the new drive but cannot get my folders and contacts from Outlook 2003. I've gone to users/me/appdata/outlook on the old drive and copied the files to the new drive and it doesn't show the old stuff.
Any tips , hints, software HELP :)

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Be very careful importing outlook files. I found that my old files appeared to import successfully, but when I actually browsed through my old files one day, I found that all my old files were all the same. Somehow it had botched the import in such a way that it got all the names correct, and subject, and sender. (All the headers were fine.) But all the bodies of all the files were the same. I had to redo my import and was lucky I had kept my backup after importing.

This is why I hate using tools like this to import and export. I'm much rather just copy files from one location to another. That way I know everything is right. I dont know why this basic functionality in outlook is dumbed down and simultaneously complexified (like typical apple software).

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
just copy the psts file over if you have them in pst and go to file open - open pst and it'll mount

mrpergo

Aug 28, 2004
Okay I finally got the mail & contacts, for anyone needing to do this in the future on the old drive it was in C/users/name/appdata/local/microsoft/outlook
I kept trying to import from roaming and getting nothing.
All is good. I won't forget this learning lesson thats for sure lol