Geriatric Condition of America

Neurorelay

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2004
Does anyone else here think that by the prolonging of life and medical science have disatrously hampered the purpose of evolution and survival of the fittest?

I think we will kill ourselves off, slowly but surely.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Neurorelay
Does anyone else here think that by the prolonging of life and medical science have disatrously hampered the purpose of evolution and survival of the fittest?

I think we will kill ourselves off, slowly but surely.

You go first.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Very few people want to die. For many the thought of dying becomes really frightening as it approaches.

People want to live...it is that simple. As technology allows people to live longer it is going to lead to 'Geriatrification' of some sociey

Say you get terminal cancer but a 100k in painful surgery/treatment gives you a 25% of surival with no guess as to reoccurence...you'd want the surgery/treatment.

May it is bad for society if people live longer or survive cancer, maybe it is good... I couldn't possibly know.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Darwin was only partially right - evolution only proceeds forward until technology prevents the non-viability of weaker genetic characteristics - which significantly outnumber the stronger ones. The result? The stronger traits become bred out - devolution.