Georgia electric rates to soar

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Conserve power my ass. Try going without air conditioning with all this drought we are going through. The Mississippi river is so low they are digging up channels to remove rocks so the barges can keep going. Good luck conserving energy this summer???

Might be a good time to purchase some new windows.

Meanwhile expect to see some more higher taxes.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Conserve power my ass. Try going without air conditioning with all this drought we are going through. The Mississippi river is so low they are digging up channels to remove rocks so the barges can keep going. Good luck conserving energy this summer???

apparently most people are too dumb to program their thermostats properly. i bet we'd save more than the amount of energy that's being taken off line just with everyone properly programming their thermostats.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Originally Posted by MomentsofSanity
Does that comment make you proud of yourself?

and they are doing just that.

Come on down :D

Wrong. Bottom feeders like you will always bottom feed, regardless of size of the pie.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

So rules that haven't been actually imposed are responsible....

I see no implemented policy that can be directly blamed for current closures. If the rules actually go into force you'd have a case. On the practical side the owners of old coal plants have known for decades that the day would eventually come when they'd have to equip with emissions controls, switch fuels, or shut down. They did not do so because of the MANY delays and exemptions that have been handed out during that time frame. The prospect of repeating that bureaucratic feat is lessened and faced with low NG prices, aging facilities, and slumping power demand such old facilities are no longer economical to operate.

The regulatory influence is nearly glacial on this aspect of the industry.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
States have had years to plan for this. It'll be expensive to build new plants, but perhaps some of the savings will be made up in health care costs as these dirty coal plants won't be online anymore.

I'm not an environmental chest beater, but the mining process and burning to create power is pretty dirty stuff.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

Try take a thermal cam and monitor your home on a hot day, and see how much cold air leaks. Also look n other appliances in the house. Since your AC needs to remove their heat too.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007

if everyone ran their a/c's on high and let the condensate drain into the water supply you guys would live.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I suspect McOwned will be affected by the closings as well. 3 large plants in the vicinity of Chicago will be shut down.

http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/epa-powerplant-closures/

Power-Plant-Closures-6.7.12.600.jpg
But it's much cheaper to decommission plants in Chicago. Just leave the gate unlocked and within a few hours someone will steal them. ;)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
But it's much cheaper to decommission plants in Chicago. Just leave the gate unlocked and within a few hours someone will steal them. ;)

Actually one of them is so freaking old they want to turn it into a museum. Thomas Edison himself signed the visitors log.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Actually one of them is so freaking old they want to turn it into a museum. Thomas Edison himself signed the visitors log.
Cool. I'd visit it.

My wife and I really, really wanted to go inside that abandoned powerhouse in Niagara but it was locked up. You could see inside though and the level of finish was akin to a federal building today. Power plant with terrazzo tile floors? WTH? Gorgeous old building.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Cool. I'd visit it.

My wife and I really, really wanted to go inside that abandoned powerhouse in Niagara but it was locked up. You could see inside though and the level of finish was akin to a federal building today. Power plant with terrazzo tile floors? WTH? Gorgeous old building.

What? Niagara is not producing hydro power anymore?

Is this on American side or Canadian side or both?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Cool. I'd visit it.

The turbine/generator deck always is designed to be appealing and maintained clean for investors/visitors tours. Go down to the condensor/auxilliary level and there's a big difference in the appearance.

If you want to see an really impressive powerhouse you need to go into one that belongs to a university. The floors are so clean you can damn near eat off them.