Georgia electric rates to soar

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-7-2013

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013...0107?feedType=RSS&feedName=marketsNews&rpc=43

Georgia Power seeks to retire 15 coal, oil power units

Georgia Power said on Monday it plans to seek approval from Georgia regulators to retire 15 coal-, oil- and natural gas-fired power plants in the state totaling 2,061 megawatts (MW) due primarily to the high cost of meeting stricter federal environmental regulations.

Over the past few years, U.S. generating companies have announced plans to shut about 40,000 MW of older coal-fired power plants as low natural gas prices have made it uneconomic for the generators to spend millions to upgrade the plants' emissions systems to meet the latest federal and state environmental rules.

The company said it will also request that units 6 and 7 at Plant Yates switch from coal to natural gas

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I doubt they just up and get rid of the power sources, the article states they are transitioning to everything from Nuclear to Biofuels.

If anything it just shows the liberal machine doing its thing in the economy, mainly killing jobs and proping up ill conceived alternatives.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I doubt they just up and get rid of the power sources, the article states they are transitioning to everything from Nuclear to Biofuels.

If anything it just shows the liberal machine doing its thing in the economy, mainly killing jobs and proping up ill conceived alternatives.

So who will build & run these transitioning alternatives? That'll need workers ( you know...jobs).

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Ha, Southerners are going to be so screwed :thumbsup:

Southerners? I don't know about all of the south but our electricity comes primarily from nat gas and nuclear. I am in the deep south and I enjoy some of the lowest energy rates in the nation. While you pay $5 a gallon of gas mine is hovering around $3 and I pay significantly less per KW/H than you do.

Does that make you sad?

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
So who will build & run these transitioning alternatives? That'll need workers ( you know...jobs).

Note the "ill conceived" part.....

I suspect those alternatives (other than nuclear) will have heavy government support for probably decades (centuries?). Otherwise they would go the way of Sylendra pretty quickly.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Note the "ill conceived" part.....

I suspect those alternatives (other than nuclear) will have heavy government support for probably decades (centuries?). Otherwise they would go the way of Sylendra pretty quickly.

We'll have to wait and see...

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Depends on the price of the new power source. Creating 10 jobs while killing 100 due to the consumer having less money to spend on stuff other than necessities (which electricity is) isn't usually a good thing.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
We'll have to wait and see...

Not really. We have a really good idea on what power costs per KW/H depending on the source of the power. If we know exactly what power source is replacing the coal we could rather easily figure out the average increase or decrease the residents could expect to see.

With that said, it is rarely cheaper to shut down old plants and build new ones. If it was they would have done it well before the new regulations forced them to.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
how does the south survive at all? theyre so slow with everything. it almost feels like the north keeps the south alive.. wait...

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
thank the eco-KOOKS for this. It's their DE-industrialization / retrograde society program alive ongoing and in progress brought to you by the obama's EPA.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
... here we go

Taxnonpayers-map.jpg

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Sounds like Georgia was sitting pretty letting their power infrastructure rot and now is getting trout slapped by stricter regulations. Why isn't every state losing tons of power plants because of these regulations (I haven't actually double checked this)?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Sounds like Georgia was sitting pretty letting their power infrastructure rot and now is getting trout slapped by stricter regulations. Why isn't every state losing tons of power plants because of these regulations (I haven't actually double checked this)?

probably because there has to be some way of redirecting power when the plants go offline. if there isnt a good enough source on the grid, you have to run more lines or build an eco friendly plant which takes time.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
probably because there has to be some way of redirecting power when the plants go offline. if there isnt a good enough source on the grid, you have to run more lines or build an eco friendly plant which takes time.

That doesn't explain the difference in power loss between Georgia and other states. There's plenty of states geographically similar to Georgia or worse.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
That doesn't explain the difference in power loss between Georgia and other states. There's plenty of states geographically similar to Georgia or worse.

i didnt mean to imply i knew why georgia sucks, i guess i was stating the obvious

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

There isn't any real difference between what GA is retiring from use and other states. It's estimated that up to or over 300 coal fired plants are expected to be retired from service nationwide due to the cost of upgrading the coal plants vs. converting/rebuilding the plants using natural gas. Nat. gas is so cheap for the foreseeable future that coal just isn't a viable alternative.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/08/us-utilities-brattle-coal-idUSBRE8970LV20121008

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environmen...s-of-US-coal-fired-plants-ripe-for-retirement

Also remember, most of these plants were going to be retired anyway as they're older plants, most well past their 30-year design lifespan. It ain't just in GA, despite what whiner Dave wants you to think. (ps....I think he's still bitter about being fired and damned near prosecuted by his former employer in GA.)