George W. Bush will not attend Republican Convention.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/george-bush-republican-convention_n_1690725.html

George W. Bush Skipping Republican Convention

Former President George W. Bush is skipping the Republican National Convention next month in Tampa, Fla., where presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney will officially become the party's standard-bearer.

"President Bush was grateful for the invitation," his spokesman, Freddy Ford, said Friday in an email. He added that the 43rd president "is confident that Mitt Romney will be a great president. But he's still enjoying his time off the political stage and respectfully declined the invitation to go to Tampa."

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
What about Dick Cheney? Donald Rumsfeld? Colin Powell? Rice? The nation needs to see its heroes!

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I'll be honest, I think GWB is handling himself pretty well after leaving office.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
It's not that Bush doesn't want to attend, he just doesn't know how to get there.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Of course he won't. That could require him to speak about something and need to illustrate rudimentary knowledge of an issue.

Since leaving the White House he's displayed a desire to answer not at all, or with simplistic non-answers that try to sound noble. Probably the result of not having a team of PR types working to make him sound passable.

Rubbing elbows with those former constituents and current big names in the political field isn't something he can really pull off, everyone would lose.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Yes lets not confuse "nice guy" with smart, reflective, intellectually curious person capable of being President.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Since leaving office, he's spent his time raising awareness and money for various diseases & charities. In his spare time, he still goes to DFW Airport near his home to welcome home troops from overseas.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Pretty sure that Zambia counts as a foreign country. Bush just got back from there after a trip to raise cancer awareness.

This kid's expression is priceless.

bush-zambia-620x411.jpg

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
It seems most Presidents keep a low profile insofar as politics go for at least a few years after they leave office. I would guess its such an all consuming job they just want to get away from it for awhile.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Since leaving office, he's spent his time raising awareness and money for various diseases & charities. In his spare time, he still goes to DFW Airport near his home to welcome home troops from overseas.
I can't commend that highly enough.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

I can't commend that highly enough.

Strange. When he was President he wouldn't even let camera's near the coffins.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I'm as big of a GWB hater as the next guy, but I have to respect a lot of the stuff he's done for Africa, both as President and citizen.

Same. Of course, this has nothing to do with why he's staying away from the convention -- the right is trying to pretend he never existed.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
heh

I'm as big of a GWB hater as the next guy, but I have to respect a lot of the stuff he's done for Africa, both as President and citizen.

agreed.

not just Africa but the US troops and other charities. he is useing his name and position to do what he can and doing his best to stay out of the spotlight. He is not blasting the president or administration. If anything i have seen him be respectful of Obama.

He is acting how past presidents should.