George Foreman Grill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: ttown
season = cook oil into it to make it non-stick. raw iron would stick like crazy.

250 degrees in the oven for a couple hours is probably enough

every half-hour or so you wipe the pan down with something like peanut oil and the pan soaks it up

at the end it's pretty much non-stick, but for cast-iron it's not dishwasher safe since iron rusts.
After cooking whatever, just heat the pan up and douse it with a couple tablespoons of water and quickly wipe/dry with a towel and you're done -- and then swipe it again with oil while it's still hot.
Seasoning at 250 degrees is the worst waste of time ever. If it's fresh iron (cleaned with lye or strong acid), the first layer should be applied at 350-400F, while subsequent layers can go on at the same or up to 450 if desired.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
I had one awhile ago and even though I thoroughly cleaned it after every use, it developed a horrible greasy smell to it. It stunk up the house like crazy so I got rid of it and switched to iron skillets.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Bought a bunch of 'em about 6 years ago, gave most away as gifts but kept 2 for myself. The non-stick coating came off in places but I still use it. Works great for cooking chicken breasts, sausages, etc. (And putting a wet paper towel in right after cooking makes it easier to clean).

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I have one, but it seems to make lousy dried out burgers.

Pork chops turn out better, but I can still do a better job with a frying pan.

I must admit that a George Foreman frying pan (with the grill grooves on it) can cook a mean steak, though.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I got one of those G5 swappable plate Foreman Grills as a wedding present this year. I finally bought some mix so I can make waffles. I'm stoked.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
One of the worst-timed purchases I ever made.

I always wanted one but picked it up right before moving into a house and being taught by a friend how to grill outdoors. Now having an outdoor grill at my disposal, it would be no less than masochistic to go back to using a foreman grill.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I have one (old version/non removeable grill and rarely used) and now it would not turn on (no light) when I plug it in. Does anyone know how to fix it?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I use mine for Burgers or Grilled Cheese sandwiches. Steak/Chops are a little too difficult for it though, especially when Bones are involved.

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
One of the best purchases I've ever made. It's like a microwave for grilling stuff.

Same here. I'd have gone hungry many a night without mine.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: ttown
season = cook oil into it to make it non-stick. raw iron would stick like crazy.

250 degrees in the oven for a couple hours is probably enough

every half-hour or so you wipe the pan down with something like peanut oil and the pan soaks it up

at the end it's pretty much non-stick, but for cast-iron it's not dishwasher safe since iron rusts.
After cooking whatever, just heat the pan up and douse it with a couple tablespoons of water and quickly wipe/dry with a towel and you're done -- and then swipe it again with oil while it's still hot.
Seasoning at 250 degrees is the worst waste of time ever. If it's fresh iron (cleaned with lye or strong acid), the first layer should be applied at 350-400F, while subsequent layers can go on at the same or up to 450 if desired.

Yeah, I actually keep my pans on the bottom of my oven. Works well that way.