Geometry Wars up on Steam

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Link

Bizarre Creations today debuted the Windows XP version of
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved on Steam. The acclaimed multi-platform arcade shooter is available for the introductory price of $2.50. Starting Friday, June 22, the game will be priced at $3.95.

The debut of Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved for Windows XP delivers a pixel-perfect recreation of the game that has captured the attention and acclaim of console gamers and critics alike. The game has received multiple awards for its old school shooter style remixed for the 21st century with next generation graphics and deep, modern gameplay. Check out this very unique, very addictive game here.

Geometry Wars
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved is a old school style shooter, but remixed for the 21st century with next generation graphics and deep, modern gameplay. Playing is simple: you are a geometric "ship" trapped in a grid world, facing off against waves of deadly wanderers, snakes, and repulsars. Your aim is to survive long enough to set a high score!

Avoid the spawning enemies, and shoot them down for points. You can also fire smart bombs, which destroy all bad guys on the screen. Save these up for when the going gets really tough!

The more bad guys you kill, the higher your score multiplier goes (2x, 4x, etc.). The higher your multiplier, the more you can score. But don't die, as you lose

* Addictive "just one more go" gameplay, with mesmerizing graphics.
* Pixel perfect recreation of the Xbox Live Arcade game.
* Support for keyboard, mouse, and dual-stick gamepad play.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Is there a non-Steam version? I would buy it at that price, as it's pretty addictive.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Ryland
How is this game?

Depends on your personality. If you're the addictive type that strives for the highest score possible, the game is...well, addicting.

It is actually very enjoyable pick-up-and-play game. I've no idea how it would play with a mouse and keyboard but playing it on the 360 is a blast.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
How is this game?

Depends on your personality. If you're the addictive type that strives for the highest score possible, the game is...well, addicting.

It is actually very enjoyable pick-up-and-play game. I've no idea how it would play with a mouse and keyboard but playing it on the 360 is a blast.

Yea, pretty much. It all depends on if you are a fan of all the simple but fun, pick up and play for the high score quarter munchers of the 80's. For 2.50 this is a good game for those with laptops who want a play a good quick game on the road. My issues with this version is that it lacks the achievements and more importantly the leaderboards of the 360 version. I think thats pretty big especially the leaderboards. Also, this game demands a good dual analog pad as the game controls like robotron. How this can be play on a keyboard and mouse is beyond me.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Queasy
How is this game?

Well it's gamepad compatible, so if you have a dual analog pad then you should be good. And I do, so I may just get this :)

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: potato28
You can find it online for free.

Pretty sure you can't find geometry wars itself for free, but there are a lot of free clones. However a lot of them have been getting legal trouble because it's TOO much like geometry wars.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Oooh, I think I may just be the guinea pig to see if this works with the 360 controller.

Edit: plays beautifully.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I picked it up last night and very quickly drove my wife batty with the sounds.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: RedBeard
So how are the controls with a mouse/kb?

Not bad. I only used the mouse which let me aim, shoot and use a bomb.