Gentoo, 1.2 or 1.4 rc3?

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
I finally got another hard drive, so I'm going to put gentoo on a spare computer. I've used 1.2 before, and loved it. How is 1.4? Is it stable? Does it use the same ports? Gentoo's site is down for me right now, so any information would be appreciated.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Well, technically you can't install 1.2 anymore, but you can still use the 1.2 LiveCD. THis will allow you to install 1.4, but use the older disk (I needed it once for a driver that wasn't on the 1.4 disk). I would say use the 1.4_rc1 Live CD, IMO it is the best 1.4 liveCD out. Remember, when you install gentoo, no matter which CD, once you emerge sync, and emerge system you will have the latest version. I have been using Gentoo 1.4 for a few months now, and will never go to anything else fior the time being. Hope this help.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: KraziKid
Well, technically you can't install 1.2 anymore, but you can still use the 1.2 LiveCD. THis will allow you to install 1.4, but use the older disk (I needed it once for a driver that wasn't on the 1.4 disk). I would say use the 1.4_rc1 Live CD, IMO it is the best 1.4 liveCD out. Remember, when you install gentoo, no matter which CD, once you emerge sync, and emerge system you will have the latest version. I have been using Gentoo 1.4 for a few months now, and will never go to anything else fior the time being. Hope this help.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I've already got the 1.2 cd, so I might as well just use that to install.

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
I'm running 1.4rc3. No problems at all. I love my gentoo :p

I don't suggest going from 1.2 -> 1.4 though. 1.2 has gcc 2.95.3 and 1.4 has 3.2.2. This upgrade has the potential to possibly 'break' some stuff.
Aside from that, it all looks pretty upgradable.

I always download the stage1 tarball and just let it do it's thing.

-silver

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ditto agnitrate.
There's more involved than emerge -u world because of GCC and other libs that have been upgraded since 1.4 went live.
Just download the stage 1 iso and have fun.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiger
Ditto agnitrate.
There's more involved than emerge -u world because of GCC and other libs that have been upgraded since 1.4 went live.
Just download the stage 1 iso and have fun.

Thanks for the info. That's surely going to save me a headache later. Gentoo's back up for me now, so I can start reading their documentation now.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: jhu
try lfs, it's more fun

The only reason I haven't done LFS, is because there is no package manager. I like Portage. On the other hand, if slackware came out with a package manager like portage I would probably switch back to it because I like the BSD style config files. Until then it is gentoo all the way.