Genetic Algorithms

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Amazon returns many results, so I'm wondering if anybody has a personal suggestion. Looking for something that'll give me both a good theoretical understanding and enough practical advice/examples to help me write an actual program.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
If you're looking for algorithm book, then perhaps Knuth could be of interest to you.

If you're looking for a Design Patterns book then I'd recommend Gang of Four book.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Argo
If you're looking for algorithm book, then perhaps Knuth could be of interest to you.

If you're looking for a Design Patterns book then I'd recommend Gang of Four book.

He's looking for info on Genetic Algorithms... I don't think reading through Design Patterns or Knuth's stuff (pretty heavy) are the right places to start.

Martin, I don't really know of a particular book for genetic algos, but I'd suggest any highly ranked machine learning text or something that has rated well on Amazon that has a lot of reviews.

Dec 29, 2005
this is the textbook i used in my AI class:

Norvig and Russell - Artificial Intelligence, A Modern Approach, 2nd edition, Prentice Hall, 2003

also you may want to look up info on some similar/related subjects: genetic programming, simulated annealing

this page looks like it has a somewhat simple explanation on how to create a genetic algorithm.

also if you want, pm me your email address and i can send you the sample code that my professor gave us for a simple genetic algorithm.

lousydood

Aug 1, 2005
Besides AIMA, here are some books to consider:

Koza, et al. Genetic Programming ___. There's a whole slew of these books. The ones on the shelf here are "Genetic Programming III: Darwinian Invention and Problem Solving" and "Genetic Programming IV: Routine Human-competitive Machine Intelligence"

Goldberg. The Design of Innovation.

statik213

Golden Member
Oct 31, 2004
Take a look here:
http://jgap.sourceforge.net/

That's a good framework for you to do your stuff on. It's always good for you to write at least a simple GA program before you go ahead and use jgap. But if you want to do any in-depth research with GA you might want to use JGAP to do all the "dirty" work -- you would only need to write the fitness function.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Genetic Algorithms were fascinating. I book I used was "Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning" by Goldberg. It was probably over 10 years ago so maybe there are better books out there now.