General VR discussion thread

Page 81 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Tom's Hardware on the Odyssey:

"The Samsung Odyssey Windows Mixed Reality HMD currently sits in a class of its own within the Windows Mixed Reality ecosystem. If you’re the type of person who likes to have the “best” best product in a category, we can say confidently that the Samsung Odyssey wears the crown within the Windows Mixed Reality world.

Is it the best HMD that we’ve ever tested? No. Despite the higher-resolution displays and the overall high regard we hold for the Odyssey’s build quality and features, we would still lean toward an HTC Vive with a Deluxe Audio Head Strap for the most complete VR experience--especially now that you can buy a Vive for $499. That said, if your primary need for a VR HMD is productivity, or you play games like Elite Dangerous, which have text-based menus, the higher pixel count of the Odyssey HMD is a big benefit."

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well the sale prices ended while I looked at reviews. On top of that, I'd just found out I seemed to have a 20% discount off the $300 from AMEX.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Now Microsoft via ebay has Oculus Rift w/Touch for $300. Getting hard to say no. I wonder if it'd be comfortable, reasonable to set up (it needs like 4xUSB?)

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Now Microsoft via ebay has Oculus Rift w/Touch for $300. Getting hard to say no. I wonder if it'd be comfortable, reasonable to set up (it needs like 4xUSB?)

Have to be USB3 - and a very specific USB3. I would research first as most people had to order a specific USB hub for it to work properly (myself included).

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Have to be USB3 - and a very specific USB3. I would research first as most people had to order a specific USB hub for it to work properly (myself included).
I recommend the startek USB 3.0 pcie quad bus card for vr devices. I had the innatek model and while it worked ok for a while it became finicky with the Samsung Odyssey and other devices.

Oculus seems to be picky too on which USB 3.0 ports it likes and not all of them were compatible. My Odyssey has had no issues using either the motherboard 3.0 ports or the pcie card ports.

The oculus sometimes had to be connected to USB 3.0 ports that were not next to each other. Same for the sensors, you could not plug them all in a row and sometimes you would need to plug the sensors into ports on the Mobo and then the headset to the pcie card. It was more so an issue with the Oculus because I've been using the Odyssey forever now and it never cared which ports it went to as long as they were high speed 3.0 ports.

Then again the oculus works best with 2 sensors in a seated position so they require power from the card as opposed to power all from your board.

Oh and the oculus is more comfortable than the Odyssey but that also depends if you have a big head or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZEA2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qJZdCbSXPC2N6

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Yikes, that would already go from $300 back up to $400 plus other expenses from maybe lenses to the games and who knows what else.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Not sure why the price on the card went up. It was like $50-60 bucks when I purchased it. With most motherboards now having not that many USB ports in the back, it made sense for me as I had other things I needed to plug in too.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
The Odyssey+ is on sale again if anyone is looking to pick one up. Both Samsung and BH have them for $299 shipped + tax.

After experiencing the PSVR, I decided to try it out on the PC as well, but waiting on the next generation of devices before spending over $1k.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Glancing at Odyssey+ reviews, they say it's the best image with no screendoor, but painful to wear, and there's light bleed.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I don't have any light bleed on my Odyssey. I have the original. The visuals are great and you can even slide the resolution in steam VR to 200% for more clarity.. actually same clarity as in the cliff house because steam VR by default displays games at a lower resolution sometimes.

It is uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. I'm surprised they didn't address that issue with the + which I guess that was the point of the newer model? Some people added like a rubber latex band across the top for support so it's more comfortable sitting on your head.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I ran into a fun issue the other day. I finally broke down and bought Beat Saber, and I went to go play it. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be, as when I turned on I received an error about my base station being bad. Goodness... people really aren't kidding about Vive replacement prices. It's pretty much $130 for a new base station or controller, which means replacing all four would cost $520. That's more than the $499 cost of just buying a new Vive!

I did get to play Beat Saber, and it is a fun game. Although, I did notice some hit registration issues with the right saber. I did change the way my base stations are oriented, so I don't know if I'm just swinging too late (and I think I'm fine) or my base station isn't picking things up well. I think my next task is to look into the custom songs and stuff that people have made!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I don't have any light bleed on my Odyssey. I have the original. The visuals are great and you can even slide the resolution in steam VR to 200% for more clarity.. actually same clarity as in the cliff house because steam VR by default displays games at a lower resolution sometimes.

It is uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. I'm surprised they didn't address that issue with the + which I guess that was the point of the newer model? Some people added like a rubber latex band across the top for support so it's more comfortable sitting on your head.

That's one of the things I love about my original Vive, with the Deluxe Audio strap....SUPER comfortable to wear for hours.

Downside is SDE like mad. You don't really notice it once you start playing a game tho.

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Samsung Odyssey is tempting. I love my Rift but if I'm honest...I just don't VR often enough to make me want to spend more money. What I like about the Samsung Odyssey is the better quality screens and no wired sensors needed. That alone would make it a worthwhile upgrade. Especially when used in my sim cockpit. But I don't think I can justify spending the money on something I will rarely use.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I saw that in a lot of the reviews as well. There appears to be some mods to help with both issues and for the price, I'm willing to try it out.
The only issue that I had with the original Odyssey is that it felt too tight on my head, but to be fair, I do have a fairly large noggin. For reference, one-size-fits-all hats do not fit me, and consequently, I usually have to order XXL-sized hats online as stores don't usually carry that size.

Although, I'll admit that I didn't really see much of a difference in the visuals. I'm not sure if that has to do with my lack of corrective lenses while using VR headsets (my glasses never fit under the HMD and I don't usually wear contacts), but I've seemingly always had a hard time noticing visual enhancements (G-Sync, HDR, etc.).

Since you've already gotten your feet wet in VR with PSVR, you may want to jump into some graphics-heavy games. I mean... the PSVR isn't a bad HMD, but it's limited by the PS4. So, the PC will definitely be able to handle some prettier graphics. I'm not too sure how much the tracking on the inside-out WMR headsets compares to the PSVR's front-camera-based tracking, but at least with the Vive, the tracking is quite good.. especially since you aren't restricted to certain positions/directions.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm tempted by the Odyssey+ (after people seemed to discourage the PSVR). One question - can it be used while sitting in a chair? Which VR units can, instead of larger areas for movement?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm tempted by the Odyssey+ (after people seemed to discourage the PSVR). One question - can it be used while sitting in a chair? Which VR units can, instead of larger areas for movement?
Yup I use mine exclusively while sitting. You can set it up for seated or standing.

I also ordered prescription lenses that go over the Odyssey lenses so I don't have to wear my contacts. Many people that have trouble distinguishing difference in visuals between rift and Odyssey should probably be wearing contacts or glasses because for me there was a big difference and I'm far sighted with a bit of astigmatism in my right eye but my vision isn't that bad.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Yup I use mine exclusively while sitting. You can set it up for seated or standing.

I also ordered prescription lenses that go over the Odyssey lenses so I don't have to wear my contacts. Many people that have trouble distinguishing difference in visuals between rift and Odyssey should probably be wearing contacts or glasses because for me there was a big difference and I'm far sighted with a bit of astigmatism in my right eye but my vision isn't that bad.

I'm a contact wearer also, but curious about lenses. Where did you get them and are they just as good as contacts being in or better?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm a contact wearer also, but curious about lenses. Where did you get them and are they just as good as contacts being in or better?
https://widmovr.com/product/odyssey-prescription-lens-adapters/

They come from Poland. You will need your glasses prescription to enter the details. Contact prescription is different at least for me since I wear one contact for astigmatism.

They are on the way to me but from Reddit and researching online those who have bought them really like them. I can't wait until they come in because I do a lot of VR flight training and wearing contacts after work in the headset gets tiresome.

Also, would you order that foam padding? I really want it to be more comfy on my head for long sessions but I don't know if that padding is easily inserted or actually helps out in the long run.

Reactions: KentState

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
The Rift was also designed originally as a sit down VR experience. It works great this way with two sensors. I use three sensors with mine for a room scale setup and it too works great.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I will look into those lenses. I do have a separate prescription for my glasses from my contacts. I like wearing contacts for convenience but glasses are less taxing on my eyes.

I ordered it directly from VRCover.

https://vrcover.com/product/samsung-odyssey-plus-replacement/
Yeah the prescription lens adapters just snap on to the Odyssey lenses that are currently in the headset. I don't mind wearing my contacts but my eyes are dry by the end of the day after work.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Anything that does whole room can also do sit down - just don’t play the games where you stand up.

I have a vive and spend most of my time playing “werewolves with” which doesn’t even have motion controls.