General VR discussion thread

Page 77 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Unfortunately they don't have anything for the Samsung. Just ps VR, rift, and vive.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well I was considering getting Rift at that price though it'd be an extra $100 for the lenses, but sort of forget and went to bed. Oh well.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Looks like the 20% AMEX might still be good, but the Rift is back to normal price of $399. So it'd be a $40 penalty for not ordering last night.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
By the time you get around to making up your mind we'll be on gen 3. As difficult time as you are having as cheap as this stuff is, you should just not do it, you will only be disappointed because you've set your expectations way too high.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
There's also a Japanese game called VR Kanojo, which has an... um... "adult patch" on it. (As a note, "kanojo" is just a feminine pronoun, which tends to be used for "girlfriend".)

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
So are these what we can look forward to in 2.0?

-better lenses for wider fov and less optical distortion
-slightly better screens (tech for high res is there but gpu power holding it back)
-wireless or less wires
-built-in 6dof tracking instead of external sensors

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Got myself the Lenovo headset for $200. I last tried VR with the Rift and Elite Dangerous, which was a very fun combo. Very eager to see what's out for VR on steam since then. Anybody know of any must have VR games? I care more for the feeling of immersion and movement/flight than killing things, so games like Arizona Sunshine for example aren't really interesting to me.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Got myself the Lenovo headset for $200. I last tried VR with the Rift and Elite Dangerous, which was a very fun combo. Very eager to see what's out for VR on steam since then. Anybody know of any must have VR games? I care more for the feeling of immersion and movement/flight than killing things, so games like Arizona Sunshine for example aren't really interesting to me.
Lone echo is a good one but not sure if it's on steam. I have it on the rift but I have not played it since I got the Samsung Odyssey. I could play it with the revive software but haven't attempted yet.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
So are these what we can look forward to in 2.0?

-better lenses for wider fov and less optical distortion
-slightly better screens (tech for high res is there but gpu power holding it back)
-wireless or less wires
-built-in 6dof tracking instead of external sensors

All of that has been mentioned
-Varifocus lenses. So if you look at something close the background blurs instead of everything being in focus all the time
-foveated rendering
-Eye tracking (for animation)
-Face tracking
-Full body tracking
-gloveless hand tracking.

Who knows how much of it will really make it though.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
All of that has been mentioned
-Varifocus lenses. So if you look at something close the background blurs instead of everything being in focus all the time
-foveated rendering
-Eye tracking (for animation)
-Face tracking
-Full body tracking
-gloveless hand tracking.

Who knows how much of it will really make it though.
Man that would be so badass, even half of it. The varifocus lenses... wow. I'd probably fece my boma. I think I'll get the Vive v2, hopefully I can sell my current Vive to help offset costs.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Man that would be so badass, even half of it. The varifocus lenses... wow. I'd probably fece my boma. I think I'll get the Vive v2, hopefully I can sell my current Vive to help offset costs.

Might want to sell it sooner than later.

When the v2 is getting close, seems likely the market will drop for v1.

Griffinhart

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
The site is a little confusing - you pick between "VR Frame" and "VR Frame with prescription lenses" for about $40 more.

What the heck is "VR Frame" without prescription lenses, isn't that the point?

I would assume it's to allow 3rd parties to fill the prescription if needed.

Griffinhart

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
When I got the Rift last year I went with: https://widmovr.com

Prior to that I wore contacts while using it. It was enough of a pain that I didn't use it often. Glasses under the goggles were just painful to wear after about 10 minutes. The inserts were well worth the purchase for me.

Pretty much the same for me. I didn't use the rift much until I got me lenses. Still surprised there isn't built in way to add Rx lenses. Seems like a huge oversight. When I had a dk2 with the removable lenses I assumed the CV1 would be similar and RX lenses would just pop in.

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
This is somewhat off topic based on looking at what others are discussing in here. But I'm wondering what games I should look into purchasing on steam for the VR? any suggestions?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
This is somewhat off topic based on looking at what others are discussing in here. But I'm wondering what games I should look into purchasing on steam for the VR? any suggestions?
Seems on topic to me.

I would recommend Superhot VR.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Lone echo, elite dangerous if you have a throttle and stick, Arizona sunshine, robo recall, I expect you to die , are a few good ones. Also onward too from what I hear from a friend of mine.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
If it's your cup of tea, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice just released a VR variant, which is free to all owners of the original game -- even if you buy it afterward. To note, the only storefronts this freebie offer is supported on is GoG and Steam (direct purchase or third-party keys). I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

The game is also currently on sale at Humble Bundle's Store.