General VR discussion thread

Page 99 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I would love to use the VIsion Pro for PC and SteamVR, but it seems unlikely anyone will find a way around the Apple DRM.

As it stands I plan to keep using the G2, nothing else is truly a significant upgrade and there is not enough new PC VR content to justify buying a better one.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
For the G2 do not update your windows 11 to the 24H2 update as that removes windows mixed reality making the G2 obsolete. But I suppose you are safe on windows 10.

I agree something like the vision pro for PCVR would be great. I always want the best resolution for flight sims.

Sounds like there will be a quest pro 2 coming out early in 2025, made by LG. If the lenses are still pancake style, increased resolution, and OLED, eye tracking, with AV1 encoding, I'll probably get it day 1.

The quest pro is great for flight sims as it can use dynamic foveated rendering with eye tracking, has great colors, and local dimming so an improved second gen device would be welcome.

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I'm still on 22H2, the 23H2 upgrade kept failing for some reason. I don't see any reason to upgrade anyway.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Didn't realize stuff like the Quest 2 was at $250 and Quest 3 was at $500 with passthrough PCVR (what I'm really interested in).

For a $1000 my curiosity can go unsated but at $250 it's an easy b-day gift from the wife and if it's a really meaningful upgrade $500 for Q3 is easy as well.

Any thoughts on what a first timer should go for, is Q3 really 2x the price better if we completely ignore the native apps and focus only on PCVR passthrough?
Q2 is now $200:

And the deal gets better (Meta clearing out excess Quest 2s?):

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
TechAlter did a nice breakdown of the optics and display tech in the visionpro.
the pancake lenses seem like they arent worth the trouble. having to go to micro led to get the necessary nits to compensate for the loss in luminance from the pancake just to be a bit thinner at the cost of eating up battery and generating more heat which will shorten the life of the display elements. this seems like a juicero level of excessive spending.
the 4.5x increase in resolution needed for 60ppd @120deg seems a decade away from being affordable.
but goddamn the meta holographic lens tech is sexy.

Reactions: Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
TechAlter did a nice breakdown of the optics and display tech in the visionpro.
the pancake lenses seem like they arent worth the trouble. having to go to micro led to get the necessary nits to compensate for the loss in luminance from the pancake just to be a bit thinner at the cost of eating up battery and generating more heat which will shorten the life of the display elements. this seems like a juicero level of excessive spending.
the 4.5x increase in resolution needed for 60ppd @120deg seems a decade away from being affordable.
but goddamn the meta holographic lens tech is sexy.

I coincidentally stumbled on that yesterday. Highly recommend it.

I'm a display nerd and researched all that info to better understand VR displays over many hours, spread over many weeks.

So I didn't learn anything new except for the Holographic lens stuff, but everything else is bang on and it's all in one place, and he explains it better than most other sources. IMO this is the go to resource for understanding VR optics.

He clearly did tons of research to nail down all the details like that, when so many other lazy YT "creators" just use their assumptions and opinions.

On Pancake lenses, I was also disappointed when I first discovered how much light was blocked by them. When I first heard the term, I thought they were like Pancake camera lenses which are just small, simple lenses, but in the VR context they are folded optics, partially mirrored, and polarized lenses, that can block up to 90% of the light.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
a little bit more info on disney holotile
looks like each disk can spin and tilt like a swash plate. there is going to have be a max speed you can move at based on the torque of each motor and the weight of the individual.
you would probably need a 12x12 foot area for one person to be able to jump/dodge/roll/jog in 360deg plane. the power cost for that, the lidar sensors and processing, plus the vr game integration, will likely put this in the $2/min range of theme park entertainment. home installations would probably be unfeasable for non 1%'ers.
the additional tech required to create terrain elevation changes is daunting to think about. sloped hills and stairs would be out of the question or outside what anyone would be willing to spend (add in insurance and liability costs).