Gender as a required field for checkout screen?

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
Just bought a Papst fan from this site. Was very surprised to see that when registering as a new customer, they require the input of ones gender. It doesn't bother me, but I have never seen a shopping site ask for that.

Is this some new trend?

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
They're going to give special discounts to the hot chix. If you check "female", the next screen asks for :camera:s.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
They're going to give special discount to the hot chix. If you check "female", the next screen asks for :camera:s.

that made me laugh for some odd reason

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
They're going to give special discount to the hot chix. If you check "female", the next screen asks for :camera:s.

Haha :D

Cheers Ikonomi :beer:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: TechnoPro
Just bought a Papst fan from this site. Was very surprised to see that when registering as a new customer, they require the input of ones gender. It doesn't bother me, but I have never seen a shopping site ask for that.

Is this some new trend?

For future correspondence to you, like spamming advertisments and such, it allows them to determine whether they put Mr. Or Ms. before your name.

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
Now that I think about it, some sites do have a drop down for a salutation field which tends to reveal gender. But still, those are usually optional.