Gelsinger to leave Intel for EMC in management shake-up

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Reports: Gelsinger to leave Intel for EMC in management shake-up

Intel is expected to reveal later today major senior executive changes that will see its core chip business-head Patrick Gelsinger leave the company after 30 years.

Gelsinger is believed to be moving to computer storage group EMC to run the corporation's storage-products operations and some smaller software units, according to on-line reports.

One report in the New York Times suggests that as part of the shake-up , Sean Maloney, Intel's head of sales and marketing, would take on an even larger role at the company.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/se...l;?articleID=220000088

So what do you suppose this means if we sift the tea leaves and try to divine some implication regarding issues of reality not meeting expectations for certain product groups and projects? Think this is any indication possibly that Larrabee is not going to plan internally?

When folks leave a company they have spent 30yrs of their life building a career at it is a sign that a rather large impasse came about and the chosen solution to the impasse was to change employers. So me wonders what the impasse was/is.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
The strange thing is the announcement he is going to EMC. It seems coordinated. Maybe a tightening in the relationship between Intel and EMC?

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Oh, I guess I should read that email I got this morning. I thought it was just the yearly "here's your new name for your design group! yay!"

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah I agree on the explicit referencing to EMC in the Intel PR.

One thing I'm thinking here is that given the fact he leaves immediately and Intel simultaneously has a new org chart to accomodate his leaving is I'm wondering if there was a fair amount of up-front (internally of course) disclosure and negotiations in the months prior between EMC/Gelsinger/Intel to clear up any potential non-compete issues as well as make the org chart transition all before the media could make much hay out of any of it.

It still makes me wonder what the other shoe is going to be when it finally drops. I doubt the man just woke up one day after 30yrs and said "fuck it, I'm going to work for EMC and finally pursue my dream job after all these years".

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I think it has to do with Lynnfield being out the door, it's traditional to wait until the end of a project to depart.
Also, now it won't be a distraction at IDF.

Why did he leave? Who knows, maybe he's being groomed for the CEO position at EMC.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Phynaz
I think it has to do with Lynnfield being out the door, it's traditional to wait until the end of a project to depart.
Also, now it won't be a distraction at IDF.

Why did he leave? Who knows, maybe he's being groomed for the CEO position at EMC.

That's what I want to wait and see. "You own your own career" is a motto at Intel and so if he was passed up on the CEO track by someone else and another company is offering him a CEO position, may as well just take it.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Oh, I guess I should read that email I got this morning. I thought it was just the yearly "here's your new name for your design group! yay!"

Funny, that same thing happened to me. I saw the reorg email and thought - ok, another new name for my group at Intel, skimmed through it and totally missed the line about Pat Gelsinger leaving.

I'm not going to participate in the tea leaf reading - we did that in the hallways here at Intel for about an hour this morning and then all lunch as well in the cafeteria. :)

But I will say that I will sincerely and honestly miss Mr. Gelsinger. I'll miss his frank honesty in meetings, the fact that he didn't dodge questions in an open (internal) forum meetings, and on the two occassions where I met with him face to face, I was absolutely amazed at how insightful his questions were. I don't know much about Sean Maloney, but I do know that I am honestly sad to see Pat Gelsinger leaving.

One amusing story that I have about Gelsinger is one time I was looking through paretto results for a suite of validation tests and one of the most effective tests was named some big long confusing name that had i386 in it and I opened up the assembly code and was reading through it and there was Pat Gelsingers name on a section of code along with a description of what it did.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I just read that this is the fourth time he has quit. Intel keeps re-hiring him.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Phynaz
I just read that this is the fourth time he has quit. Intel keeps re-hiring him.

I thought that was against the rules at Intel. It''s written in some of the documentation that you can only quit three times - not joking - and after that you can never be rehired (except through acquisition).

Where did you read it?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: lopri
Maybe DOJ started an investigation? :D

You know the thought did cross my mind that the departure might be anti-trust related if for some reason, I cannot fathom how but just speculating, that Gelsinger (and that top lawyer dude that went to Apple) was elbow deep into whatever shenanigans were going on (if any were going on) and Intel felt removing the employee from payroll would reduce the liability come judgement day.

But it just seems such a stretch, from what I've read of Gelsinger, plus pm's comments above regarding his professionalism and character, that he'd have stood for anything like the shenanigans that have been purported elsewhere in regards to the anti-trust lawsuit that AMD filed.

I'm going with Occam's razor here saying his departure has nothing to do with anything legal-related across the board.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Think this is any indication possibly that Larrabee is not going to plan internally?

At the risk of proving people right who say I am crazy, allow me to respond to myself by linking the latest article on BSN:

Pat Gelsinger left Intel because of Larrabee fiasco?

Pat was one of Andy Groove's men, and Paul Otellini did his best to surround himself with his aces, thus the choice of Sean Maloney was logical.

But the underlying issue wasn't that Pat was "Andy Groove's men", the issue was the war with nVidia and under-delivering on Larrabee.

To conclude this article - Larrabee was Gelsinger's baby, project got seriously messed up and somebody had to pay the bill.

http://www.brightsideofnews.co...f-larrabee-fiasco.aspx

Funny to me that BSN can't spell Andy Grove's name correctly...pesky details. :laugh:

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: lopri
Maybe DOJ started an investigation? :D

You know the thought did cross my mind that the departure might be anti-trust related if for some reason, I cannot fathom how but just speculating, that Gelsinger (and that top lawyer dude that went to Apple) was elbow deep into whatever shenanigans were going on (if any were going on) and Intel felt removing the employee from payroll would reduce the liability come judgement day.

But it just seems such a stretch, from what I've read of Gelsinger, plus pm's comments above regarding his professionalism and character, that he'd have stood for anything like the shenanigans that have been purported elsewhere in regards to the anti-trust lawsuit that AMD filed.

I'm going with Occam's razor here saying his departure has nothing to do with anything legal-related across the board.

I can't imagine Gelsinger involved at all...but Bruce Sewell (the lawyer) was the guy in charge of educating the staff at Intel on anti-trust practices. I would bet a nice sum on his leaving being lawsuit-related.

As to Gelsinger, I think he figured out that he was not the next in line for the CEO job and went elsewhere...JMHO

Edit: The Larrabee situation might also come into play...I didn't think of that (thanks).

Edit2: Just read the article about Larrabee, and noticed it was Theo Valich...that almost guarantees it to be wrong. :)