GELID launches $1.50 AM4 CPU retention bracket to prevent CPU being pulled from socket

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gelid-protection-bracket-ryzen
GIELD is the first company to bring this bracket to the United States, and as you can see in the image below, the bracket completely surrounds AMD's AM4 processors to keep them firmly locked into the socket.
I've never personally pulled a CPU out of the socket when removing the cooler (I've always heated it up and pull in a twisting motion). However, I've seen a number of users here over the years say they have accidently pulled the CPU out not realizing thermal paste would have such a strong grip. I guess for only $1.50, it's cheap insurance for those who worry about doing that.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
GELID has created a new CPU protection bracket for AMD Ryzen processors that safely insures your processor won't get yanked out of its socket when disconnecting your CPU cooler, and it costs just $1.50.
*ensures

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ditto, just what I was thinking. Butt they appear to only be compatible with GELID CPU mounting hardware.
Looking at the kit's packaging on GELID's site, it does say compatible with "GELID AM4 Mounting Kit".

However, looking at it, I think it would likely work with Noctua's AM4 mounting kit as well. This is just a guess based on the pictures, but I imagine someone will eventually try it and see if works with other companies kits.

Reactions: lightmanek

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Wouldn't that raise the mounting brackets of most coolers (as pictured) and cause a space between the cpu and cooler? At the very least it has to reduce mounting pressure.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Wouldn't that raise the mounting brackets of most coolers (as pictured) and cause a space between the cpu and cooler? At the very least it has to reduce mounting pressure.
It's looks pretty thin, so I don't think it would cause much of a height increase, and in the case of Noctua's mounting system, it's spring loaded and I wouldn't think it would be an issue (if it ends up being compatible with other coolers).

I've never used a GELID cooler, but from the pictures, it looks very similar in mounting style.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
$1.50 is good price, but shipping kills it.

Personally I think it's pointless, twisting or twisting and sliding a bit has never failed me.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Could be useful if the cooler has been mounted for a long time like 5+ years. Some thermal pastes turn into glue in that time.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Could be useful if the cooler has been mounted for a long time like 5+ years. Some thermal pastes turn into glue in that time.

At which point I would mutter "$1.50 would have been worth it..." but I am unlikely to say that up front.

Ha, I have a wonderful/horrible memory of pulling a 3200+ S939 CPU out with a freshly mounted HS as I struggle to build a new rig while people were showing up for LAN party I was hosting. Oh nforce and AGP, I don't really miss you at all. There was no lasting damage done, fortunately. I have had it happen a couple times since without any known issues.