Geforce4 4400 - UT gets stuck at 60 fps - WHY?

jcuadrado

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Refresh rate on my monitor is at 100 htrz.

My Radeon 7500 and Voodoo3 3000 got me better frame rates in UT.

Please help...there must be some setting that restricts the fps on this card. I can tell cuz it screams up to 60fps and just stops.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jaime

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Sounds like a V-sync issue, based on my limited knowledge of videocards.
Click around in the driver options, and see if you can turn it off, based on whether you're using OGL or D3D.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
I would think that if the refresh rate is really 100 hz at the resolution you are running at then vsync shouldn't limit it to anything below that. However, I know that there is an option in UT to limit the fps through the menu somewhere. Maybe that is set to 60...

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
what OS are you using, and what version of the Nvidia drivers are you using?

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Sounds like vsynch. Make sure it's turned off in the driver settings, as well as the game settings. As for the refresh rate, all GeForce cards have a bug (it's a problem in the detonator drivers) that sets the refresh rate in OpenGL to 60Hz even when you set it higher. Unless you have installed some utility, I would guess the game changes your resolution to 60Hz.

A note about frame rate: anything above 60Hz is pretty frivolous and unless it's getting choppy, this should not be a problem for you. Sustained (constant) framerates (ie always 60 fps) is much "smoother" to see than a framerate going from 30-150 fps. It's the variability that makes it look choppy.

NOX

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Ok, I'll assume right now that you are using D3D? Well even if you are using Ogl there is an option to disable v-sync in your driver settings, which you may have done already. If you are using D3D, you will need to download coolbits (which will edit your reg!!!), this will give you the option to disable v-sync in D3D, and watch your FPS sky rocket!

The refresh rate can also be fixed, you can find coolbits, and Windows 2000/XP refresh rate fix here. I use them both.