i don't think i'll regret it tho
bet you'll have to pay "atleast" 400 for the top Geforce FX card

I really like the cooling setup on these cards tho
i hope everyone starts doing that
channels the heat right out of your case

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Man, decisions, decisions. Do I wait, or buy a 9700 Pro?

I'm using my 845G onboard video at the moment . . . ;)

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
You wait to decide on either. Wait to see if the GeForce FX is worth it at all and what the 9700 series will offer once it finally has some competition. The Radeon 8500 fell from a $399 MSRP to around $200 in what seemed like practically no time at all for it was having trouble running with the GF3 line of which it has now out paced. No price drops on the 9700 line would be a surprise unless the GeForce FX really bombs, something I greatly doubt.

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
Well, I doubt the GeforceFX will bomb, but i HIGHLY doubt it will offer anything near the performance increase that the 9700 offered over the GF4 (I am talking about with AA and AF enabled, as games look absolutely disgusting without them now, lol) Soo, I think the GeforceFX will be way too expensive for what it offers, and in that case, ATI will not be forced to lower prices unfortunately.

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
Im very curious to see the benchmarks, I am very sure taht the the FX will beat ATI 9700pro in most benchmarks, short of high-bandwidth rendering benchmarks (unless there is some ninja-compression involved but at higher resolutions that wont matter much either...but i degress)

In the end the question that bears to be asked is will the card be bought?

Im sure NV fanatics will
I'm confident that ppl that have money to burn on a 6mo refresh cycle will buy it also (Bleeding-edge as one might call it)
People that have 2year refesh cycles might if this is "about that time", as well as ppl who have other personal refresh cycles that happne to fall on 1stQ....

well the majority of the video card market is ppl that will spend at the most $250 for a card, now the question is what will they buy?
I for one think that those ppl will scoff at the marginal increase in performance and buy a lower priced ATI card (the 9700pro will probably fall to near $250 range by march) that has great performance and compatibility for near future games. Maybe even GF4 4600 as an alternative....

I for one think Nvidia blew it as far as releases are concerned, If they got the card out the Door in November, I for one would have bought it in stead of the 9700pro... The FX might be a titanic card but they missed the consumer boat and I wouldn't be surprised to see their stock fall a bit just because of that...