GeForce FX 5800 - $500!

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Some thoughts:
-500MHz! very nice indeed, I was expecting 400-450MHz
-memory is about what was rumored. Low bandwidth
-bandwidth issues could be solved by color compression. Could this be the technology borrowed from Gigapixel?
-Weak vertex unit, but still a better triangle speed due to high clock speeds
-good version uses two slots? wtf is that? all the voodoo5 was was long, it didn't occupy 2 slots.
-eumors of 2 texture units were false, same as R300 there
-new features definitely look cool, but the first major Dx8 game isn't even out yet, so its no big deal now
-Doom3 scores were run on nvdemo3
-antialiased fill rate is about the same as R300, which was definitely an area where the R300 excelled over the Ti series. FSAA speed comparisons could prove interesting
-I want benchmarks!

RamIt

Nov 12, 2001
I wonder how well it will score in 3dmark......................

Gotcha. :)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: RamIt
I wonder how well it will score in 3dmark......................
Gotcha. :)

Dude I should kick your ass :p You KNOW that will surface....and of course good ol' madonion will make a new version to show off the features, 3DMark is the only widely used app out there that utilizes Dx8.....bah. When I saw that NV30 article on the register, first reporting 3DMark scores...I wanted to smack them.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
here's what I laugh at "Right now NVIDIA is claiming a 30 - 50% performance advantage over the Radeon 9700 Pro across the board."

that's horrible! When the NV30 is out in Feburary the 9700 will be $250 or around. For TWO TIMES THE PRICE you only get a 50% increase? To me that's just pitiful for nvidia. Why? Simple...ATi released a card that beat Nvidia's flagship Ti4600 bu an average of 30% across the board and when you turned up the FSAA etc you got 200% increase! If Nvidia cannot do that with all the specs they're throwing around with .13 micron etc then I laugh at their effort. When the 9700Pro was released i could get it in the retail channels for the exact same price as a comparable Ti4600 and get 30-200% increase across the board. HAHA

I'm not saying that Nvidia's new card isn't fancy and won't be cool, but seriously. ATI's got my money and they've got some excellent drivers now.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
here's what I laugh at "Right now NVIDIA is claiming a 30 - 50% performance advantage over the Radeon 9700 Pro across the board."

that's horrible! When the NV30 is out in Feburary the 9700 will be $250 or around. For TWO TIMES THE PRICE you only get a 50% increase? To me that's just pitiful for nvidia. Why? Simple...ATi released a card that beat Nvidia's flagship Ti4600 bu an average of 30% across the board and when you turned up the FSAA etc you got 200% increase! If Nvidia cannot do that with all the specs they're throwing around with .13 micron etc then I laugh at their effort. When the 9700Pro was released i could get it in the retail channels for the exact same price as a comparable Ti4600 and get 30-200% increase across the board. HAHA

I'm not saying that Nvidia's new card isn't fancy and won't be cool, but seriously. ATI's got my money and they've got some excellent drivers now.

I dunno...nVidia has called upon the aide of the Jedi Masters of Anti-Aliasing , former 3dfx and Gigapixel employees, so to say their AA won't be vastly improved is premature.

Chiz

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
good looking yes, fast...we will see

They would have done better to say High res AA will see such and such a boost rather than a generic statement like 30-50% however what they did say is a safer bet for PR reasons.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000

ROFL, but for CPUs its fine to charge 2 or 3 times the price for a 10-15% faster CPU
rolleye.gif

People want stuff for free. ATIs card was $399 retail... you act like itll actually COST that much... Video cards are always well below retail price online.

eaadams

Mar 2, 2001
And how much will the 9700pro be by February? At least this means that you can get a 9700 for x-mass and know how long your good for. Also I bet we know this way that the 9700pro is not going to have any big price drops till feb so you can stop looking and buy now or wait till feb!

mrman3k

Dec 15, 2001
I would venture to say that it is very possible for ATI to release the R350 core around Feb to ruin the actual FX launch. That would be very impressive for ATI to release the R350 that could beat up the FX. But I don't think this would happen since ATI is moving to 130nm process and it seems like everyone is having problems with it, even though it will probably be more mature by then.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Dulanic

ROFL, but for CPUs its fine to charge 2 or 3 times the price for a 10-15% faster CPU
rolleye.gif

People want stuff for free. ATIs card was $399 retail... you act like itll actually COST that much... Video cards are always well below retail price online.

who said anything about a CPU? becides what Intel charges is mostly because they put more compatability and performance testing than most companies. You pay for the name as well. Intel is more well known than Nvidia or ATI.

Mar 8, 2001
NVIDIA absorbed some pretty good engineers from 3Dfx and probably Gigapixel and they had a tough time going to .13 manufacturering process. Even though ATI has released a good product with the 9700 they still haven't proved themselves to me yet. One semi-successful product launch doesn't rescue a company, ATI again had some driver issues with their last release and the card failed to work properly at AGP 8x in some motherboards. They quickly solved the issues but they should have done some better testing. I haven't trusted them since I had to push out new drivers to some 200+ clients to fix a mysterious display issue at work.

I'm very interested in the GeForce FX $499, the card looks very good on paper. Hopefully they can get it out the door in Jan 2003, I'll probably have to take a loan out but I'll be buying it!

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: TechMasterChen
NVIDIA absorbed some pretty good engineers from 3Dfx and probably Gigapixel and they had a tough time going to .13 manufacturering process. Even though ATI has released a good product with the 9700 they still haven't proved themselves to me yet. One semi-successful product launch doesn't rescue a company, ATI again had some driver issues with their last release and the card failed to work properly at AGP 8x in some motherboards. They quickly solved the issues but they should have done some better testing. I haven't trusted them since I had to push out new drivers to some 200+ clients to fix a mysterious display issue at work.

I'm very interested in the GeForce FX $499, the card looks very good on paper. Hopefully they can get it out the door in Jan 2003, I'll probably have to take a loan out but I'll be buying it!

Its looking like a feb release. And speed wise, it isn't really looking that great....unless that color compression really kicks ass, the huge fillrate advantage is moot without the bandwidth to back it up.

nardvark

Jul 3, 2002
TechMasterChen-
As I understand it, the delay from going to the 0.13 micron process had nothing to do with NVIDIA at all, but their manufacturer. I've heard several comments about the fact that NVIDIA's had their designs and simulations for a while now, but that their manufacturer couldn't get profitable yields on the new process.
As ATI will be using the exact same process, I doubt they'll have the same delay in their launch, no matter who their engineers are.
As for "one semi-successful" launch not being enough, we'll certainly see what happens with ATI in the next month, as they'll be launching all of their more reasonable video cards (9500 pro, both non-pros...), which will truly decide whether they can handle being a major competitor or not.
And either way, you should be rooting for ATI's success, they'll bring the price down on that shiny new Geforce FX for you :)

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
Im ready to see some full reviews and test on that bad boy and see if its even worth half as much... personally i'd rather buy a decent 19" lcd monitor for only a little more to go with my old card.....hehe

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
ATI will not have these delays going to .13, because they also use TSMC, nvidia is going through TSMC's .13 teething process, so now its all ready to go for ATI ;)

BowlingNut

Aug 18, 2002
you will always pay tons of money for top of the line
thank you very much, i'll just wait till chrsitmas and grab a 9700 nonpro and oc it.
its gonna be fast enough for me, and my system wont hold it back like it might if nv30 is as fast as nvidia claims.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: TechMasterChen

I don't think Nvidia took any of the 3dfx engineers, they just took the technology. I may be mistaken but I think 99% of ex-3dfx employees are not working for Nvidia. Nvidia purchased the company and promtly closed it's doors.

Mar 8, 2001
I thought I remember hearing something about them signing some of the 3dFX guys, I may be wrong though that was a few years ago and many beers ago.

Originally posted by: Nardvark

TechMasterChen-
As I understand it, the delay from going to the 0.13 micron process had nothing to do with NVIDIA at all, but their manufacturer. I've heard several comments about the fact that NVIDIA's had their designs and simulations for a while now, but that their manufacturer couldn't get profitable yields on the new process.
As ATI will be using the exact same process, I doubt they'll have the same delay in their launch, no matter who their engineers are.
As for "one semi-successful" launch not being enough, we'll certainly see what happens with ATI in the next month, as they'll be launching all of their more reasonable video cards (9500 pro, both non-pros...), which will truly decide whether they can handle being a major competitor or not.
And either way, you should be rooting for ATI's success, they'll bring the price down on that shiny new Geforce FX for you :)

Thanks for the correction, I had a magazine quoting some old rumors from September and I didn't realize it was a FAB thing. I'm pulling bigtime for ATI to succeed, I certainly don't like the idea of a $500 dollar card!! :)

:)

Sxotty

Apr 30, 2002
Well whatever happens we should all thank nvidia for paying millions of dollars so that TSMC could get their act together. Heck ATI should send them a fruit basket or something lol. I am glad they did it even though it screws anyone who wanted and nvidia card sometime soon.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Dulanic

rolleye.gif

who said anything about a CPU? becides what Intel charges is mostly because they put more compatability and performance testing than most companies. You pay for the name as well. Intel is more well known than Nvidia or ATI.

First off Im comparing top of the line products.. you ALWAYS pay more for them, youll always pay a ton for the latest and greatest. And dont give me that crap that they charge more because of testing... they dont test their low end products? They charge more for their top end stuff because they CAN, every company pretty much does it, its called buisness. And Nvidia is very well know, not quite as much as Intel but pretty freakin close.