GeForce 8 Series and Flat Panel Scaling!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
The option for scaling is there, but I am not confident that it works right. It doesn't maintain aspect ratio when it scales and sometimes it does not scale at all. Very odd situation I have ran into with it. I am able to control it on the monitor itself though, so I just disable scaling altogether and let the display handle it in those situation.

Edit

To clarify, on my 8800GTS (beta drivers) with Windows XP, the scaling option doesn't work correctly on most resolutions, but in a few it seems to work. However, with my 7800GTX I owned previously, it worked flawlessly. Go figure... Something is certainly wrong with it, I am certain of that.

Jan 9, 2007
Originally posted by: ArchAngel777
The option for scaling is there, but I am not confident that it works right. It doesn't maintain aspect ratio when it scales and sometimes it does not scale at all. Very odd situation I have ran into with it. I am able to control it on the monitor itself though, so I just disable scaling altogether and let the display handle it in those situation.

Edit

To clarify, on my 8800GTS (beta drivers) with Windows XP, the scaling option doesn't work correctly on most resolutions, but in a few it seems to work. However, with my 7800GTX I owned previously, it worked flawlessly. Go figure... Something is certainly wrong with it, I am certain of that.

What drivers are you using? Also, what resolution are you native at and then switching to? It has worked fine for me with all three of my boxes in XP since 160.03, and I play a lot of 4:3 games (heck I'm sitting here with an 8800 GTS 640MB playing Diablo 2 this very night LOL).

Are you using the Dell 30" LCD-TV in your signature? And of course, it brings up the question that when you say you don't think it is working right, could you be more specific? It is sort of one of those things that either works or doesn't - you either have black bars on either side with a 4:3 resolution full screen 3D app or you don't. If you have the bars all the way around (meaning centered output - it will display, for example, 1024x768 in the center with bars both horizontally and vertically with no stretching to fill at all, where as fixed aspect ratio fills the screen vertically to utilize as much of the monitor as possible while retaining the black bars so that the aspect ratio is correct). For instance, I play D2 with this monitor, it has a resolution of 1680x1050 - 16:10. In order for Diablo 2 to look right, it would have to be at a 4:3 resolution, which would be 1400x1050 (a perfect 4:3 resolution). The monitor fills it to 1400x1050, but with 140 pixels worth of bars on either side so that it isn't stretched out of proportion.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Yes indeed, I know how it is supposed to work :)

The 'nVidia Scaling with Fixed Aspect Ratio' does not work at all. There, that should be more specific. Instead, it does not maintan aspect ratio like it did on my 7800GTX, but it fills the entire screen (turning non native resolution 4:3 into stretched full screen). So, to be specific, the option to to disable scaling works, the option to scale works, but the option to scale and maintain aspect ratio does NOT work, for me.

Drivers are beta 1.62.18 for Windows XP... But even so, it worked fine with my 7800GTX and also with my ATi powered laptop video card. :D

Edit ** Minor (actually, non issue) issue for me, because I always play native res and "disable" scaling does exactily what it needs too do. So, if I want to scale, my display can do it, or I can change it in the control panel. Only if I were to run a non-native vertical resolution would it be a problem, even then, the issue isn't a big deal to me.

BroadbandGamer

Sep 13, 2003
I just installed the brand new ForceWare 162.18 WHQL on Windows XP and Flat Panel Scaling STILL DOES NOT WORK. When I select Do Not Scale and hit Apply it goes back to Use MY Displays Built-in Scaling!

What the hell is going on and why are some people saying this is fixed?

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I have a 7800GT in my work system and have never gotten this feature to work on any drivers I tried. It seems to only work with certain monitors or something.

BroadbandGamer

Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: CP5670
I have a 7800GT in my work system and have never gotten this feature to work on any drivers I tried. It seems to only work with certain monitors or something.

It worked great when I had my 7800 GTX.

Deinonych

Apr 26, 2003
Originally posted by: BroadbandGamer
It worked great when I had my 7800 GTX.

Same here. It hasn't worked with my 8800GTX, ever (at least under XP...not sure about Vista).

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
I just installed the brand new ForceWare 162.18 WHQL on Windows XP and Flat Panel Scaling STILL DOES NOT WORK. When I select Do Not Scale and hit Apply it goes back to Use MY Displays Built-in Scaling!

You are using a DVI connector... n'est-ce pas? :D DVI is necessary for these options to work.

Why do you want to use Do Not Scale?

It seems understandable that Do Not Scale can be the same as Use My Display's Built-in Scaling.

If you want to scale in the videocard, and not in the monitor, why not use one of the first 2 buttons: Use NVidia scaling or Use NVidia Scaling With Fixed Aspect Ratio?

If you want to scale in the monitor, then select Use My Display's Built-in Scaling.

Frankly, I am even wondering what use there can be for the Do Not Scale option

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Gave this a quick try for Halo PC and it works fine. It adds black bars to the sides of my monitor so that the resolution box is correct (i.e. circles are circles and not ellipses anymore).

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Its fixed for non-widescreen users, for wide-screen users, nVidia tells us to use panel's own aspect ratio.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: BernardP

You are using a DVI connector... n'est-ce pas? :D DVI is necessary for these options to work.

Why do you want to use Do Not Scale?

It seems understandable that Do Not Scale can be the same as Use My Display's Built-in Scaling.

If you want to scale in the videocard, and not in the monitor, why not use one of the first 2 buttons: Use NVidia scaling or Use NVidia Scaling With Fixed Aspect Ratio?

If you want to scale in the monitor, then select Use My Display's Built-in Scaling.

The "Do Not Scale" option is supposed to output the monitor's native resolution with black bars around the unused portion of the screen.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: zerogear
Its fixed for non-widescreen users, for wide-screen users, nVidia tells us to use panel's own aspect ratio.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. Fix it for the people who typically have no use for it...

/sarcasm

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
Originally posted by: nullpointerus

The "Do Not Scale" option is supposed to output the monitor's native resolution with black bars around the unused portion of the screen.

Thanks, so Do Not Scale is the same as 1:1 pixel mapping then.

BroadbandGamer

Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: nullpointerus

Thanks, so Do Not Scale is the same as 1:1 pixel mapping then.

Yes. You see the actual resolution with black bars and no scaling.

BroadbandGamer

Sep 13, 2003
What's strange is I can now use my displays scaling options with the latest drivers but for some strange reason it doesn't work with all resolutions. For example, if I select 1600x1200, my displays 1:1 is grayed out. However, if I select 1152x864 1:1 is available.
Anyone know why I can turn of the scaling with some resolutions and not others?

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
That's Dell's fault. They fixed it in a later revision, so I've heard, but I've had no luck in getting an exchange on mine.

shredder687

Aug 2, 2007
I've been having serious problems with my nvidia drivers, yes i have the latest one and i can't get flat panel scaling to work correctly, i'm trying to get a 4:3 aspect ratio with a 800 x 600 resolution (with black bars on left and right) on my widescreen monitor so i can play my games in a 4:3 resolution with no stretching. when i select "use nvidia scaling with fixed-aspect ratio" then select 800 x 600 or any 4:3 resolution it get's black bars on TOP AND BOTTOM, resulting in an even MORE WIDER screen, which makes it look worse, i'm just trying to get a 4:3 aspect ratio with black bars on the left and right. any solutions?

Canterwood

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
Well I got dumped into this thread after an overzealous mod locked my thread HERE:

This thread proved useles to me (thanks mod :roll:), but a big thanks to those who PM'ed me and helped me sort it out anyway.

Its all good now. :thumbsup:

Next time you have a locked thread problem, PM me or Keys

You did not even try to have you issues resolved here.

You can also try posting in Personal Forum Issues ... Do not post issues with moderators in the threads. No further warnings!

-Graphics Moderator apoppin

Zambien

Oct 14, 2004
Ok, I know there's been some discussion. Here's how I got flat panel scaling to work properly using 162.18 drivers

1. Install 162.18 drivers, shutdown
2. turn off monitor
3. start up and wait until windows or windows login screen loads
4. change to no scaling. Whoops, everything looks all streched out and wierd.
5. Install overscan compensation fix and reboot.
6. Whoops, everything STILL looks all streched out and wierd.
7. (AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART) Go into the control panel, click manage custom resolutions, and create the following
1680x1050
GDI 60
Bits per pixel 8
Timing standard CVT
Scaling Type Adapter

Eureka!one!11! Everything looks good now and I have proper 1:1 pixel mapping.

Redox

Aug 12, 2005
Finally seem to have found a fix ... see link below (this may have been mentioned in another thread). Although it seems to be intended for HD TV's, it also seems to fix the scaling.

Just follow the directions in the attached link ...

link

Finally I can enable the "do not scale" option and it holds (and works). The fixed aspect ratio scaling seems to be working too.

This is using the 158.22 drivers. No idea why this cannot be incorporated into the driver release.

Hope this helps ... and hopefully it keeps working

p.s. using a Samsung 305t which I'm pretty sure does not have built-in scaling

darkling183

Jul 23, 2007
Originally posted by: shredder687
I've been having serious problems with my nvidia drivers, yes i have the latest one and i can't get flat panel scaling to work correctly, i'm trying to get a 4:3 aspect ratio with a 800 x 600 resolution (with black bars on left and right) on my widescreen monitor so i can play my games in a 4:3 resolution with no stretching. when i select "use nvidia scaling with fixed-aspect ratio" then select 800 x 600 or any 4:3 resolution it get's black bars on TOP AND BOTTOM, resulting in an even MORE WIDER screen, which makes it look worse, i'm just trying to get a 4:3 aspect ratio with black bars on the left and right. any solutions?
I'm sad to say that I have the same problem. I bought a Samsung 940BW monitor, and a computer with an 8600GT card. I'm using the 162.50 drivers.

The desktop looks fine as long as I have 'Use my display's built-in scaling' selected. Trying to run a 4:3 game in this mode makes it distort to fill the entire screen.

'Use NVIDIA scaling' makes the display all blurry, though it still fills the screen and isn't stretched.

'Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio' squashes my desktop vertically, though I can still see the entire width of the desktop.

'Do not scale' squashes my desktop vertically (though slightly less than the previous option) and stretches it horizontally so I can't see either edge of the desktop. My guess would be that it's keeping the desktop at the same (stretched) aspect ratio as the previous option, only bigger.

---
Things behave slightly better if I set up a custom resolution. I can then select any of the flat panel scaling options and the desktop doesn't distort.

It doesn't help with running 4:3 games, though.

Under 'Use NVIDIA scaling', 'Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio' and 'Use my display's built-in scaling', the 4:3 game stretches to fill the whole screen.

Under 'Do not scale', the game actually appears in the middle of the screen with black bars around it, but it's still stretched to a 16:10 resolution.

---
I've tried the overscan compensation fix, and it made no difference.

I'm thinking that I have to play with either the back-end or front-end parameters under 'custom resolutions', but which ones? I have no idea what half of the settings there mean. Does anyone have any ideas?

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
Originally posted by: darkling183
I'm sad to say that I have the same problem. I bought a Samsung 940BW monitor, and a computer with an 8600GT card. I'm using the 162.50 drivers.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried the latest official drivers from NVidia web site? 162.18 for XP and 162.22 for Vista. These are the ones for which NVidia claims the scaling problems are fixed. 162.50 are beta drivers right?

And also, just checking that you are using the DVI connection...