GeForce 7600 woes - please help

kurto

Apr 17, 2008
Novice here trying to do my first build. Pluged in my monitior to crank it up the first time and it just says no signal. Tried monitor on another computer and it is fine. Here are the specs

GeForce 7600 GT video card
MSI K9A2 Platinum mobo
Rosewill RX750-S-B ATX12V power supply
2 gigs ram

I do have it pluged into PCI Express slot. Fan does not come on - though not sure if it only does once it heats up.

The card is really tight length wise - it kinda pushed the case out a bit on the backside.?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again
Kurto

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
The videocard fan should come on as soon as the computer boots. It's possible that there is no power to the PCI-E slot or that the videocard is dead. Things to do: try the videocard in another computer...Try another videocard in your build.

The 7600GT is a short card. Why is is tight lenghtwise? Something blocking it (extra HDD)?. If so try removing the extra HDD to leave enough space for the card. Maybe this would allow for better seating of the card.

kurto

Apr 17, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I don't believe the card is a short card. The insert slot on the bottom of the card doesn't span the entire PCIE slot. However, the card itself is quite a bit longer. There is nothing in the way that is making it tight. It is a matter of the card pins are all the way to the inside edge of the PCI slot (toward middle of mobo). This makes it squeeze tightly against the outside of the casing (back of computer). I had to give it more persuasion than I would have expected it to make it fit. It does seem to be seated all the way in.

Wondering if and AGP card does not work with my mobo? I wish I could try the card in something else but all I have is an old Dell Dimension so I don't think that will work. Tried pulling an old video card out of a compaq and it doesn't even fit this new mobo. Is there a way to do some kind of continuity test on the card?

Was wondering if the card has to be have additional power plugged into it (4 pin on rear of card). I have tried the 4 pin Peripheral connector as well as leaving it empty and still nothing. My power supply has some 8 pin PCI Express connectors but there doen't seem to be anywhere to plug them in?? I have taken the 4 pin peripheral from the dvd drive (which does come on) and tried it in the card so I know I am getting juice to the card.

Should the fan on the card come on if I only had the 4 pin peripheral connected into the card but not having the card in the PCI slot?

Thanks!

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
I have never heard of a PCI-E 7600GT requiring extra power connection. I' am not sure what you are plugging into what :Q

At this point, your best bet is to find a way to try the card on another computer and/or try another card in your computer.

Do you have a friend with a computer using PCI-E NVidia videocard? Then just swap the card for yours after updating to the latest Nvidia driver... Then try his card in your computer.

Or... ;)

Buy a videocard at a store with a liberal, no-penalty, return policy and try it in your build.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
He's... trying to put an AGP 7600GT in a PCI-E slot?

That would be your problem, Kurto.

kurto

Apr 17, 2008
I'm pretty certain this card is PCI-E. It doesn't even fit my regualar PCI slot on the mobo (slot is too close to outside of case). Though it was a very tight squeeze due to the case being in the way - it sortof pushes out the back of the case a bit.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
... you're trying to put a PCI-E card in a PCI slot? That doesn't work either.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
... oh my. trying to fit an AGP card into a PCIe and PCI slot... My first suggestion is to not continue with your build right away, you may hurt yourself as well as your hardware. There are issues other than case clearance you may wish to know about first.

If the video card doesn't perfectly line up with the PCIe slot then it's not a PCIe card. Your post suggests that there were more pins on the slot than the card -- that's an indication of a possible problem.

The insert slot on the bottom of the card doesn't span the entire PCIE slot.

You must be a very large and muscular man to have successfuly done this.

kurto

Apr 17, 2008
I guess that must be the problem - the card is AGP and not PCI E and since I have only PCI and PCI E slots then no worky. Crap - all those hours researching before I bought really is paying off...

Thanks for all the help

BernardP

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2006
Originally posted by: kurto
the card is AGP and not PCI E

Well, you got me there!

When you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes