Geforce 460 Problems

kasquires22

Mar 30, 2010
Hello all, I need your opinions on a few problems I'm having.

I recently built a new rig with the following:
Intel Core i5 760
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 LGA
Corsair CMPSU 650W ATX12V
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit

I've only been using this system for a little over a week. Five times or so, while I was watching youtube or something similar, the screen has gone all "polygonal" on me with random triangles all over the place that won't go away until I restart. I posted a picture of this at the bottom of the page.

Tonight, I wanted to see if the problem also affected games. I downloaded the demo for Star Trek Online and booted it up. The game ran sort of ok, but it was choppy. This was with the graphics set to high. Seeing as how I'm only running my monitor at 1680x1050, I thought this video card would be able to handle high graphics at that resolution for games. Am I wrong? GPU-z shows an idle temperature of the card around 38-40C and the card jumped up to about 70c while playing STO. I have also downloaded the latest drivers.

I guess I'm asking what the problem is. Is my system just too weak, or does it seem like the card is faulty? Should I be RMAing this card, or does it seem like something else is the problem? Any help is appreciated and I can provide any other information that would help.

photo.jpg

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Welcome to the forums kasquires22! :thumbsup:

Could be any number of components that have gone bad: video card, video cable, video monitor.

I would lean to bad v-card, but don't take my word for it. Hopefully others will chime in with their experted advices.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Easiest way to isolate the card is to throw and old one in that system and leave everything else the same.

If that is not an option, you can still probably count on it being the video card. You can use a hardware monitoring program to make sure your PSU voltages are not off.

If it is a VRAM issue, you may be able to downclock it to factory spec (your link is an OC card) to see if Gigabyte failed you on the QC process for binning chips.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Same thing happened to me. Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb started artifacting first in SC2, then proceeded to cause tearing in 2d desktop and finally random hard lockups. Went away after dropping in the previous 4830. Newegg RMA's card and 2nd so far seems ok. I hope this isn't a replay of the mobile 8400/8600 fiasco!

kasquires22

Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Am I wrong in assuming this card/setup should handle STO at 1680x1050 with no problems?

I'll get a hardware monitor and check the voltages as well. Which one do you recommend?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Download 3d mark o6 and give us your score and let us know if it crashes or artifacts.
If it artifacts I'd suggest you RMA. I've seen this problem before,it's usually bad video memory.

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/introduction/

Download "GPU-z" to monitor your cards temps. Nevermind ,you did. :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1864/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.4.6.html

For your voltages try "Speedfan"

http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444.html

Edit: DO you have integrated graphics on board? If so turn it off in the bios.

Welcome the forums. Don't forget to let us know how it works out.:)

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks for the replies. Am I wrong in assuming this card/setup should handle STO at 1680x1050 with no problems?

I'll get a hardware monitor and check the voltages as well. Which one do you recommend?

At your resolution the card shouldn't struggle playing anything at all.

Maybe while your monitoring your voltages, temps, etc. you could run Furmark for awhile to stress the video card and see what happens.

You did state it was a fresh build so just wondering at what point you loaded the video drivers?

Whenever I do a fresh install or build I load the OS and all available updates, mb drivers, etc. before I load the video card drivers as it seems to work best for me....Also the point just before the video card drivers is the best time to make an image or backup of the drive as it'll save alot of time later if needed.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I got two friends who both got 460 cards, and they have failed within days of each other.
One was a Sparkle, and the other was a Palit.

One of them just stopped working the next day after he shut the machine down after a long gaming session, and the other one started acting up with artifacts.

The friend with the Palit is going to sell it ASAP, since the warranty isn't lifetime, and he thinks the card will fail again before the warranty is up.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
Well every card has a certain amount of failures. Im not sure why the GTX460 should have higher rates of failure than say the HD5850.

But it is worrying and im hoping Nvidia gets to the bottom of this. Reminds me of XFX cards...God how i dislike XFX cards :p

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Well every card has a certain amount of failures. Im not sure why the GTX460 should have higher rates of failure than say the HD5850.

But it is worrying and im hoping Nvidia gets to the bottom of this. Reminds me of XFX cards...God how i dislike XFX cards :p

Oh man, don't get me started on XFX cards.

He could try the card in friends system. He hasn't mentioned anything about drivers.

kasquires22

Mar 30, 2010
Here are the results from 3dMark06

http://service.futuremark.com/home.action;jsessionid=66981CEF6A95CA5D31E27E9B7A4D4DDB

Strangely, it seemed to run ok and didn't seem to be jittery like STO was. I'm kinda confused by that.

At the bottom is a picture of Speedfan. I'm not really sure what to do with that program, so let me know what else you need to see.

As far as drivers, I am running version 258.96 from the nVidia page. As far as installation, I'm pretty sure I installed them after the motherboard drivers using the CD it came with, and have updated a couple days ago from the website.

I do not have integrated graphics on the motherboard. Any thoughts?

sf.jpg

Edit: I ran Furmark for 15 mins. Didn't lock up or cause any artifacting... The temp got up to 82C. Is that way too hot?

Last edited:

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
That card SHOULD overpower STO at that resolution, 1680x1050.

I would try the BETA 160 drivers that were just released on Monday and see if those correct any of your issues, as well.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Look at the latest 20 or so reviews for this card. The number of bad cards people are reporting is out of control.

That's it... I'm going to FURMARK this card 24/7 before my RMA time frame runs out. Should've stuck with the red team...
You would think after the 8400/8600 poor solder BGA hell on 2 laptops I went through I would know better

Last edited:

kasquires22

Mar 30, 2010
UPDATE

I was feeling pretty good about this card after running Furmark for a while and performing some other benchmarks/strability tests. I was unable to recreate the problems I was having. Today however, I installed SC2 and the artifacting came back in game. I then closed the game and ran Furmark again out of curiosity...and it crashed. I restarted and now it pretty much crashes every time. I'm pretty sure the card is bad. I started the RMA process a few minutes ago.

Any recommendations on a replacement? I was going to stay with the same chipset, but will probably go with ASUS, MSI, or EVGA. Are any one of those particularly better than the rest? I can't find much to lead me to believe they are after searching forums. I think all three are pretty reputable. Let me know, and thanks so much for all the help.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
UPDATE

I was feeling pretty good about this card after running Furmark for a while and performing some other benchmarks/strability tests. I was unable to recreate the problems I was having. Today however, I installed SC2 and the artifacting came back in game. I then closed the game and ran Furmark again out of curiosity...and it crashed. I restarted and now it pretty much crashes every time. I'm pretty sure the card is bad. I started the RMA process a few minutes ago.

Any recommendations on a replacement? I was going to stay with the same chipset, but will probably go with ASUS, MSI, or EVGA. Are any one of those particularly better than the rest? I can't find much to lead me to believe they are after searching forums. I think all three are pretty reputable. Let me know, and thanks so much for all the help.

EVGA above all else, you'll wait a week or 2 for RMA if needed, rather than months, and it will be a painless process where you don't feel like they are throwing up obstacles in the process of RMA :)