GeForce 4 Ti 4200 configuration!

damnhor2

Oct 2, 2002
hello everyone.
i have a problem, i have an AMD 1800 XP, 512 DDR RAM, windows 2000, and as of today a brand new" LEADTEK WinFast A250LE TD MyVIVO Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128Mb ".

the installation went great but i think that maybe i don't know how to configure the settings correct because i get low results in 3Dmark 2001 SE, scores like : 6782.
and games like UT 2003, and NHL 2003 don't run smoothly.

my drivers are: detonator 40.71.

as of now the changes i have made were:
in my bios i changed the "AGP APARTURE" from 64 to 256.
and the AGP X4 from "Disabled" to "ENABLED".

in the windows drivers:
i turned VSYNC off both in openGL and in direct3d.
and turned "Anisotropic Filtering" to off

all of the other setting such as numbers and dials i don't know.

please help me

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
Excellent card choice. I made the same purchase, to go along with my XP 1800+, 512MB ddr, and WinXP (load of crap..)...

To begin with, this card is QUITE THE PIMPIN LIL OVERCLOCKER!! With that huge-ass heatsink draining the earth of its metals resources, it comes in handy. Ive got my core running at 301, and memory at 597. Might wanna give overclocking a try soon, use that lil Winfox utility. Go up a few MHZ, play some games, see if you get artifacts or textures applying stangely, up the MHZ again and repeat. Then run benchmarks again and see how you improved your performance.

Now, as for your low 3dMark setting. I have experimented with all of the settings you said you fixed.
- AGP Arpeture Size. For the longest time my bios had it set to 64, when i was running a 128 card. Performance was still decent. I read somewhere that it should be half your system memory size, so I put it to 256 and ran a benchmark. KABOOM, HUGE SCORE DROP! Might want to run through every setting and run the 3dmark again to see which works best. I put it on 128 and performance is around the same as when it was [accidentally] on 64, with tiny bit better scores.

-Vsync. I read somewhere about that it limits FPS or something of that nature, ive got no idea and cant remember. I tried turning it OFF, and whoa, KABLAMMO ANOTHER DROP! Keep that baby on. But you can run 3DMark and experiment with both settings to find out for yourself.

If at some point you want to enable Antialiasing, use the Quincunx one. Its something like, its Nvidia's special setting that is less lossy in performance and looks good. Im using it, so hey...

All I can tell you to tweak that lil score of yours is just check out all your settings. Change them, ONE AT A TIME mind you {so you know where a problem lies}, and run 3dMark to see how it affects you. Be conservative in your settings, but dont turn a bunch of things off just to get a higher number, YOU BOUGHT THAT CARD FOR THE EYE-CANDY DAMMIT! :)

Have fun, and drop me a line if youve got more questions.

damnhor2

Oct 2, 2002
1st thing, what is your score in 3d mark?
2nd thing, how can i enable Side Banding and Fast Write?

i haven't found those anywhere

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
well i havent benched on default speeds with default settings (ie, antialiasing off, etc) and I get about 7800 or so with like quincunx antialiasing, 4x anisotropic filtering...

Sideband addressing and Fast Writes are usually found in your BIOS with the other AGP settings. Should be near arperture size.

theres a little registry editor thing for the detonator drivers that adds more tabs to the Nvidia drivers properties. One is clock settings, another is AGP Settings. there you can enable the options as well, supposing it can read off your board (for some reason the settings dont show when I try). But im pretty sure as long as they are enabled in bios they are on by default.

damnhor2

Oct 2, 2002
how can i know when to stop overclocking?
when is the right speed?
i don't want to damagae my card

sep

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
This doesn't sound right. I just ugraded to a ti4200 (no video oc'ing) and i'm getting 12034 without any tweaking.

I don't know what your problems could be. Keep posting your results. Also, make sure the benchmark is setup correctly in 3DMarks2001SE.

-JC

MatthewF01

Mar 1, 2002
you wont damage the card. if you clock it too high, just reboot. a popup will come up on startup asking if you want to keep those clock settings; just say no.

you will know when youre clocking too high when you see artifacts (remnants of the picture being left behind; flickering portions of the screen), or textures arent applying right, or looking smudged and unclear.