Question Geforce 2080 ti buzzing sound while gaming

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
Hi,

I recently bought a Gainward 2080ti graphics card, and I've noticed that the card makes a "buzzing" sound while I'm gaming. My PC is set up to run very quiet, so the buzzing sound is noticable when there's quiet or less sound in games. (This is not a high pitched coil whine, but more of a buzzing or humming.) Is this something that's normal with 2080ti cards, or should I get a new one? I'd rather avoid going through all the trouble of getting a new card with the same issue. Should I expect a 2080ti to run totally silent, except for the fans, or is some electronic noise to be expected?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
Thanks for the link, but is there any sense of how widespread this is? Is it worth returning the card, or can I expect the next one to be the same?

EDIT:
There is also a constant more soft buzzing noise, when just doing other stuff (browing, Office, whatever). This can be heard in a quiet room, when I'm sitting in front of my PC. In that case turning off C-states removes the sound, but that's not an acceptable solution for me. After more listening I'm pretty sure the idle buzzing noise comes from the power supply, maybe that's the case for the buzzing during gaming too. It's a bit difficult to precisely pinpoint the sound source.

Is this a known issue with Corsair TX750M PSU?

My: PC with 9900k, 2080ti, Corsair TX750M PSU, Asus Z390-F?

Thanks agian!

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't think it's just a 2080 Ti issue as I had the same issue with one of my ASUS 1080 Ti cards, but it was really only audible while in games.

Reactions: mooncancook

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
Yep, I'm suspecting my PSU now (at least the idle buzzing noise).

After I upgraded the fans and the AIO CPU cooler, my computer is near silent, but that means I can hear that buzzing even better. I just ordered a Corsair RM1000i PSU, and I'll see if that helps. It should arrive early next week. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
My RTX 2080 Ti sounds awful. I'm hoping the replacement doesn't have whatever issue my first one had. I just assumed it was coil whine.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Thanks for the link, but is there any sense of how widespread this is? Is it worth returning the card, or can I expect the next one to be the same?

EDIT:
There is also a constant more soft buzzing noise, when just doing other stuff (browing, Office, whatever). This can be heard in a quiet room, when I'm sitting in front of my PC. In that case turning off C-states removes the sound, but that's not an acceptable solution for me. After more listening I'm pretty sure the idle buzzing noise comes from the power supply, maybe that's the case for the buzzing during gaming too. It's a bit difficult to precisely pinpoint the sound source.

Is this a known issue with Corsair TX750M PSU?

My: PC with 9900k, 2080ti, Corsair TX750M PSU, Asus Z390-F?

Thanks agian!

Using a length of some rubber hose, like vacuum hose or the like, will let you appreciate where exactly the noise is being generated. Use rubber so it won't short anything, hold one end to your ear, then the other end on/near the component you're suspecting of being noisy. Uber cheap stethoscope.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
You have your FPS limited to a reasonable rate? Some are buzzy in normal operation, but if your FPS are outrageously high, like several hundreds or thousands in the menu, all of them buzz.

That said, man, getting a component that buzzes like a bee is really annoying.

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012
Thanks for the tips, appreciated!
I use FPS limiter at 99hz (Acer x34p), so that's not the issue. Listening through a rubber hose is a great idea, as the noise reverberates in the case makes it hard to pinpoint the source. However, the new PSU is already in the mail - should have it on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it turns out...

Last edited:

Mac34

Dec 4, 2012

I just installed a Corsair RM1000i PSU, but it didn'tt change much. The static/buzzing electronic sound when not gaming, seems to enimate from the capacitors around the CPU (Asus Z390-F).

Buzzing during gaming is the same as before, after further listening it's definitely from the graphics card. Inductor noise seems like the probable culprit, as the sound I have is identical to the video in the link above.

Can I expect a powerhungry GPU like 2080to to run without noticeable electronic noise? I've use a couple of iMacs over several years, which had no electronic noise. Of course, high-end PC gaming components are pushing more watts. I have little experience with PCs, as the last one I had was 15 years ago, so I'm not sure what to expect...

Last edited:

Gorehowl

Oct 25, 2018
Strange thing, I'm about to purchase 2080, sad to hear about problems with it

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I just installed a Corsair RM1000i PSU, and the static/buzzing electronic sound when not gaming (just doing regular desktop stuff) is reduced (seems to eminate from the Corsair h115i pump - but strange how turning off C-states removes the noise). Maybe I'm just spoiled by using iMacs.

Buzzing during gaming is the same as before, after further listening it's definitely from the graphics card. Inductor noise seems like the probable culprit, as the sound I have is identical to the video in the link above.

Can I expect a powerhungry GPU like 2080to to run without noticeable electronic noise? I've use a couple of iMacs over several years, which had no electronic noise. Of course, high-end PC gaming components are pushing more watts. I have little experience with PCs, as the last one I had was 15 years ago, so I'm not sure what to expect...

It's really just the video card in this instance. I've never had a card exhibit coil whine or inductor buzz personally. But then recently I've only had AMD cards with massively-overbuilt VRMs that are noise-free. My Radeon VII definitely doesn't buzz.