GeForce 2 MX

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mschell

Oct 9, 1999
I have to aggree with Novice about the pricing of the MX cards. Many vendors are well stocked with regular Geforce SDR cards selling in the $120-$220 price range. Adding the better performing MX card to the line for $120 would mean slashing the prices on the SDR cards. It would be logical to charge a bit more for the newer MX version until existing inventories of regular SDR cards were sold. - M.

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
uh i think your logic is wrong. vendors will then lower their prices on sdr's. in an effort to sell them quickly so they can get the geforce mx's. Unless its buy.com where they will just keep the same prices, hehe.

ssjgokou1

Banned
Jul 2, 2000
I don't get it, if Nvidia would just make the MX do 4 texel's/sec, then it would be like the GTS, and it costs the same amount of money to make, so why not make the MX like the GTS, and blow 3dfx up?!?!?! I guess that's the problem with the market, they sell athlon 1ghz, which costs the same to build a athlon 500mhz, but they waste materials on the 500mhz, when they should sell the 1ghz for the same price as the 500mhz, since it doesn't cost them more to make, and this way, they will sell billions of copies more, and in long run, they will make four times as much.

ssjgokou1

Banned
Jul 2, 2000
Hey chuck, what kind of ram is on your v3 3k? Did you get that va rabate?

oh back to the thread, why would anyone want a gts if they could have a mx around the corner for up to 3 times cheaper?!?! Since they run the same at around 800x600/640x480. Will the mx have anti-aliasing?!?!

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well it's hard for AMD to punch out 1GHz chips. The poorer yields are sold as slower processors. Some of this probably applies to nVidia with their faster/slower chips.

tboner

May 31, 2000
SSJGOKOOU1...If Nvidia made the Mx moodel as fast as a Gts, then the price would not be $119 as quoted, because nvidia would have to use more silicon, DDR memory etc which would raise prices...

But prices would not be $299 (or more) for the current Geforce`s...what a ripoff, I can`t believe so many people even pay that much for a friggin video card!

I will be buying an Mx model because for the money NOTHING can touch it, maybe if the Gts had double the performance it would be worth more money and I would buy it (eventually when the price went down), but for now I am so stoked about the Gefore MX, (I am usuing a Trident 4mb card right now!)

sammy g

Jan 13, 2000
actually the reason AMD & Intel make slower processor when it's just as easy to make the really fast ones is to keep different pricepoints. If either company only made 1ghz chips then they'd have to charge one price. That means the people that are willing to shell out big bucks won't be spending as much as they would and the people that want the bargain pc's won't want to spend as much as they'd cost. It's just simple marketing.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Duckers, don't loose all hope as it is capable of being made into a PCI version. You might want to give Creative an e-mail and see if they're planning on releasing a PCI version.

hjs

Dec 29, 1999
Can't wait until it's in the dutch stores, DDR perfomance for the price of a Viper2 and most of all driver that do work :)

Korvath

Jul 12, 2000
Hey there,
Does anybody know why I can't find the Guillemot MX board anywhere? It was supposed to be out on July 10th, right?
Also, the MX board supports SDR and DDR memory. Does the Guillemot MX board ship with SDR or DDR? Their web site doesn't list enough under the specs.