Geforce 2 and text

qmac

May 27, 2000
I have a geforce 2(Creative ), a p3 700 @ 804, and a 19in trinitron monitor running at 1152. my question is, it seems that text becomes blurrier(not enough annoying or anything, this is just a question i was wondering about) the higher refresh rate my monitor is set at? is this just an illusion, or is their some tech info behind this? thanks

Crazybubba

Oct 10, 1999
Do you get a ghost/double images? I get a slight double image that seems to affect text the most. I have a prophet 2.

Rainmanx

qmac

May 27, 2000
i beleive so, its a little bit annoying, for instance if i go on a web page that has like bright red text on like a purple background, it looks like there's a one-two pixel bleed or like a motion blur look. a buddy of mine has pretty much my same setup except he's got a ?matrox g400?, and he says he doesn't have that prob. i like my nvidia too much to trade it in, but that dualhead is nice

Dec 17, 1999
Make sure your monitor cable is of good quality and is short (do not use monitor extension cables). Make sure connectors at each end are clean and tight. Try using some ferrite iron clamp ons for cables (some are available at Radio Shack).

Crazybubba

Oct 10, 1999
qmac,

I think a lot of people are having similar problems with some nvidia chips and trinitron monitors.

Rainmanx

qmac

May 27, 2000
thanks everybody :)

i'm at work right now, but when i get home i'll check everything out.

Lore, when the cable gets in, can you tell me how it looks?

Lore

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 1999
Yes, I'll let you guys know how it looks. I just got the replacement Hercules today, let's give that a shot and see how that turns out.

Lore

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 1999
Just tried the new GeForce II (Prophet 2 64mb) replacement that I got and it is still just as bad. Not only that, but the display quivers a tad and the ghosting is horrible.

I will try the new UltraSpec cable as soon as I receive it. If it still doesn't work this card goes back.

I get some weird corruptions here and there too, when I move my mouse around.

qmac

May 27, 2000
sorry to hear about that. hopefully the cable will fix it. i'm getting that display quiver myself :( . damn nvidia. i wonder if the quadro has the same probs.

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
I'm just wondering, is it possible to install a 2D PCI card and use that for your Window's display? Or not?

Lore

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 1999
Man, this is very frustrating. I don't even know what I should do about this. I guess I'll have to sacrifice good 3D for the more-important 2D performance.

dc9mm2

Mar 13, 2000
Just a thought, but you could get a Voodoo 5500. The 2-d with my 5500 is extremly good. I cant tell the differnce between my buddies system were he has a G400 Matrix card and mine with a Voodoo 5500 in 2-D. I have seen several Geforce 1 and Geforce 2 systems and the 2-d is not as good, but thats just my 2 cents. havent seen the Geforce 2 from Creative labs but have read alot of post here in the forum about bad quality 2-d with several differnt Geforce 2 cards. plus then you would have great 3-d too, not as many frames per second in Quake 3 but still very high FPS.
Now all you geforce crazies dont flame me it was just a suggestion.

Aboroth

Feb 16, 2000
I was surprised when I looked at the 2D quality of my V5. It is much better than all of the Nvidia cards I have, and about as good as the Matrox cards. However, I don't use any 2D intensive programs so I can't really comment on the speed.

Lore

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 1999
dc9mm2:

I think that's a good idea, really. I actually considered that recently because I know that the chipsets that 3Dfx design are actually great in 2D, and any of the new cards will be better in 3D than my G400 Max.

I guess to get good 3D (nVidia) you have to sacrifice 2D. :(

Lore

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 1999
Aboroth:

BTW, no "intensive 2D" programs or applications is necessary for you to need a good 2D graphics card - any Windows based applications will drive you absolutely insane if your 2D card is crappy. The ghosting, jittering, etc, is too much to bear!