Geekbabe Needs Our Help

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
gah, just seeing this. i don't come around often these days but i really hope you're feeling ok this week GB. fuck cancer :( <3

feeling weak and I get a bit dizzy from the antibiotic so I take it at night. My cough is improving though. A negative is that I can’t take this antibiotic with famotidine so my GERD & hiatal hernia is acting up.
At least the antibiotic is working though & for that I am grateful… thank you for your kind thoughts ❤️

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Just went for my CT scans, considering how sick I have been I am praying for the best but steeling myself for the worst. Just washing, dressing, getting into & out of the Uber, climbing the stairs & lying on the CT table kicked my arse.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Jean you need to get on that Paxlovid stuff ASAP. If you have any issue please post here and let us know, we can do something. Shit I'll drive it over, do a hand off from the car. I'm serious.

Company ride, company gas card, and I can tell people to leave me alone for awhile. You're only like 3-4hrs away.

Last edited:

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Jean you need to get on that Paxlovid stuff ASAP. If you have any issue please post here and let us know, we can do something. Shit I'll drive it over, do a hand off from the car. I'm serious.

Company ride, company gas card, and I can tell people to leave me alone for awhile. You're only like 3-4hrs away.

thank you so much but I just got my paxlovid ❤️

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
PSA: this is not the flu, my throat feels like I swallowed ground glass, my nose is basically running down my face. I hurt all over & I have the diarrhea…. Zero appetite but forced down a Big Mac and a slice of pizza.
MGH has been great…but…they keep telling me to rest & then calling me multiple times lol 😂

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The sore throat is the worse part of covid, especially when the coughing fits start to kick in. For me it was 2-3 days, so hopefully it won't be any longer for you. Strepsils and Buckleys helps a bit.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The sore throat is the worse part of covid, especially when the coughing fits start to kick in. For me it was 2-3 days, so hopefully it won't be any longer for you. Strepsils and Buckleys helps a bit.

Disagree.

Long covid can be pretty fucking terrible. The son of a friend is no longer with us due to him being unable to deal with his symptoms any longer. He originally caught covid in Syria, probably a different strain than what we have here in the States now. He went from rising star at DIA attached to SOCOM in Tampa, making a name for himself in Syria and Iraq, to being unable to leave his own place without assistance. Near the end he was unable to read, then his speech started to go. I think that was when he decided he'd had enough. He was only 27 :cry: Funeral was week before last. Got to meet some real hardasses, also the Gov, but my god so sad.

Jean you are vaccinated, have had it before (am I right?) and are now on Paxlovid so I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, certainly not for someone of your vim and vigor (much vim, quite vigorous). But sometimes we all have to break out the Cepacol spray. Just hose it down your throat a few times. Tastes like crap but it's worth it when your throat is on fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wow, sorry to hear about your friend. That is really sad. So young. Did he take his own life? Sorry to have to ask, but if something really bad like that happened to me, and I couldn't recover, I might do the same thing to be fair. I don't think I could fault anyone for that.

@Geekbabe I wish you a speedy recovery. Covid really sucks, but since you were vaccinated for it and had it before, my understanding is that you should have a much better/easier recovery than a lot of others. I wish you well.

Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Disagree.

Long covid can be pretty fucking terrible. The son of a friend is no longer with us due to him being unable to deal with his symptoms any longer. He originally caught covid in Syria, probably a different strain than what we have here in the States now. He went from rising star at DIA attached to SOCOM in Tampa, making a name for himself in Syria and Iraq, to being unable to leave his own place without assistance. Near the end he was unable to read, then his speech started to go. I think that was when he decided he'd had enough. He was only 27 :cry: Funeral was week before last. Got to meet some real hardasses, also the Gov, but my god so sad.

Damn that's brutal, yeah some cases can in fact get super bad but was speaking more in general as most don't get to that point. Hopefully they can come up with treatment for those who do experience it that bad though, and maybe an updated vaccine. The current one has questionable efficacy against current variants.

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
No, I have never had COVID before this. I had my first two vaccines & one booster. The coughing fits are bad but the fatigue is worse. Prior to this I had the flu, then swiftly caught a bacterial pneumonia that I had just finished antibiotics for & was slowly on the mend.

My mouth tastes like a garbage can thanks to the paxlovid….

I am less than a happy camper

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Wow, sorry to hear about your friend. That is really sad. So young. Did he take his own life? Sorry to have to ask, but if something really bad like that happened to me, and I couldn't recover, I might do the same thing to be fair. I don't think I could fault anyone for that.

He did. C's life became a hell and he had lost hope of that changing. He stayed at two different hospitals plus Bethesda, he did everything the Drs wanted. His family is Catholic, and I know suicide is a big deal to them but damn I wanted to go up and smack the shit out of that priest at first.

Couple hundred people all crying and this mofo starts berating the dead for not understanding how much their god loved him, if he could have just been a bit more pious he'd still be with us and everything would be just peachy. C's dad took the podium and did his son right. It was a masterful display of feting your loved one while artfully and politely slapping down the previous dogma riddled speech, one that bordered on disrespect. Amazing fortitude, he only broke down once.

I can't judge C at all. I accept there are times when ending your own life may be the best option, and I simply cannot blame anyone for not wanting to suffer. I hope none of us are ever in the same situation. Been thinking about this ever since I posted that yesterday, I keep fixating on that damn priest, watching C's mom just lose it. Here endeth the rant.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
No, I have never had COVID before this. I had my first two vaccines & one booster. The coughing fits are bad but the fatigue is worse. Prior to this I had the flu, then swiftly caught a bacterial pneumonia that I had just finished antibiotics for & was slowly on the mend.

My mouth tastes like a garbage can thanks to the paxlovid….

I am less than a happy camper

I thought you had, my bad. Maybe I was thinking about the flu. I wish I had some tips for fatigue, I'm sorry you are Not Having A Good Time.

Reed's Ginger Brew might help, sold in 6 packs. Ridiculous amounts of ginger per bottle, helps your stomach and always puts a little spring in my step (reason I mention it). Might be worth a shot, at the very least it tastes good, might be a nice change from your standard hydration.

How is Matt holding up? You guys need pho.

Last edited:

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Rest, do what your body needs, and hope you are feeling better soon.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
How are you guys holding up? Paxlovid making a difference yet? I assume Matt is taking it as well.

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
How are you guys holding up? Paxlovid making a difference yet? I assume Matt is taking it as well.
Matt’s Doctor didn’t feel he needed Paxlovid, he is still tired and resting. I am feeling somewhat better but still have a productive cough, am deeply tired & things taste funny

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
So Ct scans are in, the good news ? My subaxillary lymph nodes are normal, other neck nodes have shrunk to the point they are not clinically a concern. My chest CT as expected showed a slight increase in 2 nodes in the mediasternum. Other bumps remained the same & were ruled as probably benign. The mediasternum nodes were judged to be reactive due to back to back flu, pneumonia & COVID. The one worry was fat found in my heart that can indicate a past myocardial infarction…there is always something! Basically though no indication of cancer progression.

I am still really tired, have a productive cough ( that is slowly improving) I am so grateful I was vaccinated & received Paxlovid. This has been bad but it could have been so much worse!