Discussion Gears of War 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Finished the campaign. My personal rating, and anyone that has ever seen my posts in console knows I am a gears head, is that it is the second best Gears game. That rating is given despite the new characters mostly being terrible. I would put it right behind the OG.

Best fights I've had in a gears campaign. You have to relocate, push, and choose the right loadout, or you are going to have a bad time in certain spots. The intensity ramps as the game goes on, and the whole old crew makes appearances at some point. Even Paduk from Judgement. I eschew most of the new weapons, with the exception of the claw, it is fun to shoot and effective.

I know this game has no following among PC gamers, but it is well worth a month of game pass. I will let this thread die now.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Fist dip into the series with Gears5 here.

+ Fantastic narrative
+ Super acting
+ Sublime graphics
- Game mechanics bug the hell out of me.

Its like the ME and DAO games, the world is "cut off" at places where you are not supposed to go... and it works OK for a game that is heavily RPG oriented. A shooter on the other hand? Not so much It feels more gimped so that anything else I've played before ..
Then there is the battle mechanics .. some ranged creatures will just 1-hit you .. add some golum creatures to bite your angles from frantic directions and you are in for some fun with your massive 60 degree FOV. The fighting is doable ... its just not enjoyable.

The part about places that seems like obvious within reach ... but you cant go there "because" is probably what bugs me the most.
First dip as well.

Im with you on your take. The game mechanics just "get in the way" all the time. Ill add that the check point saves are terrible. Tomb Raider does a better job on both counts.

Reactions: cytg111

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Finished the campaign. My personal rating, and anyone that has ever seen my posts in console knows I am a gears head, is that it is the second best Gears game. That rating is given despite the new characters mostly being terrible. I would put it right behind the OG.

Best fights I've had in a gears campaign. You have to relocate, push, and choose the right loadout, or you are going to have a bad time in certain spots. The intensity ramps as the game goes on, and the whole old crew makes appearances at some point. Even Paduk from Judgement. I eschew most of the new weapons, with the exception of the claw, it is fun to shoot and effective.

I know this game has no following among PC gamers, but it is well worth a month of game pass. I will let this thread die now.
So, I only played the first, second, and a little bit of the third game. Would you recommend I pick this up or should I go back and play through the first four? I don't remember why I stopped playing Gears 3, but if I'm remembering right (a lot of ocean/water is all I remember), the game just wasn't fun and it felt like a lot of copy/paste.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
So, I only played the first, second, and a little bit of the third game. Would you recommend I pick this up or should I go back and play through the first four? I don't remember why I stopped playing Gears 3, but if I'm remembering right (a lot of ocean/water is all I remember), the game just wasn't fun and it felt like a lot of copy/paste.
3 has some great moments, well worth finishing IMO. I did not care for the zombie like stuff, or the ending, but overall I enjoyed it. 4 is a waste of time, and I cannot bring myself to do a second play through. I wrote before that I really liked judgement, and it is far better than 4 in every way. It has some importance to 5 as well, where the story and characters are concerned. If you are going to play any of the series before playing 5, that would be my pick. And yes, I know that is not a popular opinion.

Some obviously do not groove on what is now, old school cover shooter mechanics. Move on, play something else, it's all good. They are second nature to me, and 5 has done an excellent job in the implementation.

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I didn't mind the cover shooting system. I really disliked the third-person shooting with a controller system, but that's what you get when it's a console exclusive.

There was some rumors going around about the entire Gears series appearing on PC eventually like the Halo Master Chief collection is, but I never looked into it. If that's the case, I'll just wait and play through them all on PC.

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
I enjoy the mechanics, but I am burned out by the story and tone of everything associated with it.

I have no idea what the story is all about.

1st it was creeps from under the ground, then these creeps were actually human, then these creeps are living with ancient underground creatures, then more creatures like the creeps appear, then robots, then robots infected by the creeps... or the... ancient... creatures... ? And now, there is a new queen or something?

The story was clearly not thought out. OK, I get it. But they had plenty of opportunities to reset or start something fresh.