Discussion Gears of War 5

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
There is a lot of praise for this game, but no thread here? Is anyone playing on PC yet? Digital Foundry is saying it may be one of the best ports for PC ever.

It is on steam, though $60 is steep if you are not a MP fanatic.

I plan on playing it with game pass. Hoping the 3 month included with the Navi cards is still around when I buy one. Waiting for driver improvements and better availability of the Red Devil before buying.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i honestly enjoyed the GoW series.
However i dont think i can ever pay full price for anything, unless its that worth it.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
i honestly enjoyed the GoW series.
However i dont think i can ever pay full price for anything, unless its that worth it.
My son and I used to go to BlockBuster to rent console games back in the day. It let us try before we buy, and often the 5 day rental was enough of a particular title. It was only the jewels we would buy. I am hoping if the game pass experience is good, and the catalog of titles improves, that it will serve that same try before you buy option.

Isn't it just called "Gears" now?
You are right. They dropped the of war from the title. Everyone has just been calling it gears, for years now, so I guess it makes sense. And maybe it's to stop people from thinking of God of War?

Reactions: NTMBK

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Gears 4 felt different than 1-3. I never finished it. Apparently 5 has really good reviews. I'll eventually get it because the game (both SP and MP) is very enjoyable

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
It is on Gamepass, you could sign up for Ultimate Gamepass for $2 for 2 months (current deal), finish the game and then cancel it.

I started playing it last week, but the collectibles were buggy as hell (wouldn't register that they were actually found) so I stopped until they fixed it. Also heard a lot of issues with crashing/freezing. Supposedly they patched it this weekend, haven't gotten time to pick it back up.

I only played the first chapter, there is a new mechanics where you can order a bot around (basically Jack from Gear 1-3) and you need to find upgrades for him. Also, they have 3 player splitscreen which is neat.

I played the multiplayer a little bit during the alpha test, re-verified that gears MP is not my thing, haven't tried horde mode or escape yet, those might be kind of fun.

I enjoyed Gears 1-3. 4 was OK, I cannot pin down exactly why it didn't seem as fun as 1-3. maybe the characters? JD is kind of dopey and Del just had no personality (seemed like just comic relief), Kait was OK. Also the story was not all that interesting.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
My buddy wants me to build him a gaming PC specifically for this game, but I'm not sold on it yet. Plus I cannot remember ever finishing the third game as it became just "more of the same". Maybe if they all come to PC like the Halo MC Collection, I'll look into Gears 5, but since my 360 power pack died (original console, no RRoD yet), I can't even go back and attempt to catch up on the story.

Good news is that by the time I do get around to playing the rest and getting caught up on the story, there will likely be another game and Gears 5 will be really cheap.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
My buddy wants me to build him a gaming PC specifically for this game, but I'm not sold on it yet. Plus I cannot remember ever finishing the third game as it became just "more of the same". Maybe if they all come to PC like the Halo MC Collection, I'll look into Gears 5, but since my 360 power pack died (original console, no RRoD yet), I can't even go back and attempt to catch up on the story.

Good news is that by the time I do get around to playing the rest and getting caught up on the story, there will likely be another game and Gears 5 will be really cheap.
Tim has a good guide on optimizing for Gears 5, and if you watch it you can see it does not take high end kit to enjoy it in most of its glory. It may help you decide what parts to use depending on budget.

I did not like Gears of War 4. There were a few sections I found fun, but overall, was disappoint. New characters did nothing for me. Enemies, story, and gameplay felt like they were designed for console kiddies more than ever. And I say that as a serious fan of the series, and someone that is a fan of Judgement, which most did not like. That is why it was not a pre-order for me, which is what I have always done with this franchise. 4 put me off that badly.

This looks to have freshened things up a bit without losing the original mechanics that make it what it is. And as pointed out, it can be played with game pass for dirt cheap and then cancelled when finished with it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Is it cross-platform? I have it on Xbox since it was $10 off through Amazon pre-order.

Movement takes a bit getting used to since it's so clunky and stiff but it plays well otherwise. Had an hour or so match of horde mode last night with a few decent people. Got do wave 42 or so and then got absolutely wrecked. Haven't really enjoyed a Gears game in awhile but did like Gears 4's campaign and other modes--at least most of it. Some of the new enemy designs are more annoying than fun to fight; I miss the old Locust enemies.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Is it cross-platform? I have it on Xbox since it was $10 off through Amazon pre-order.

To my understanding you only get the cross platform if you have a windows live copy, or you got it though a xbox live subscription.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea sorry I meant cross play... I have a physical version for console. Along with whatever it is that I needed to play online with other ppl

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Cross play, which means play across multipul platforms will never be supported because it opens too many holes.
PC users can not be trusted with console users period, because our hacks / third party softwares are just too strong for developers to moderate.
Its best to limit the fallout to just PC users, and let us break stuff, then have the entire community suffer for our nukes.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Cross play, which means play across multipul platforms will never be supported because it opens too many holes.
PC users can not be trusted with console users period, because our hacks / third party softwares are just too strong for developers to moderate.
Its best to limit the fallout to just PC users, and let us break stuff, then have the entire community suffer for our nukes.

It does have crossplay for all the modes across all the platforms, you can disable it (or enable it? not sure what the default is) in one of the menus. I haven't looked too much into it so I don't know if there are any limitations. All versions require the use of Xbox live accounts (free on PC, paid Gold on Xbox).

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
It does have crossplay for all the modes across all the platforms, you can disable it (or enable it? not sure what the default is) in one of the menus. I haven't looked too much into it so I don't know if there are any limitations. All versions require the use of Xbox live accounts (free on PC, paid Gold on Xbox).

Every game which said it would allow cross play has never done it.
This is why publishers even tried hard to go after the cheat program industry, but realized they failed because the program has a lot of loop holes like cheat engine, where its not designed with malicious intent to wreck a single game / company.

Personally cheat engine is one of the reasons why i also prefer PC games over consoles.
I just cant afford / nor can sit though grinding anymore, and cheat engine will kill any of that, and let me go straight to enjoying the game with its full unlocks.

And again, this only applies to single player games period, i will never cheat / promote cheating nor will this forum support cheating in a multiplayer game.

:blush:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
This is why publishers even tried hard to go after the cheat program industry, but realized they failed because the program has a lot of loop holes like cheat engine, where its not designed with malicious intent to wreck a single game / company.

Not sure I am understanding you.

Are you saying Gears 5 doesn't have crossplay? It does, there is crossplay in Gear 5 acrross all three versions (Steam, Windows Store, Xbox).

Or are you saying it is not done successfully? I cannot really say how well it has been done here as I don't particularly like Gears multiplayer, I only like the campaign mode.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Fist dip into the series with Gears5 here.

+ Fantastic narrative
+ Super acting
+ Sublime graphics
- Game mechanics bug the hell out of me.

Its like the ME and DAO games, the world is "cut off" at places where you are not supposed to go... and it works OK for a game that is heavily RPG oriented. A shooter on the other hand? Not so much It feels more gimped so that anything else I've played before ..
Then there is the battle mechanics .. some ranged creatures will just 1-hit you .. add some golum creatures to bite your angles from frantic directions and you are in for some fun with your massive 60 degree FOV. The fighting is doable ... its just not enjoyable.

The part about places that seems like obvious within reach ... but you cant go there "because" is probably what bugs me the most.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

Personally cheat engine is one of the reasons why i also prefer PC games over consoles.
I just cant afford / nor can sit though grinding anymore, and cheat engine will kill any of that, and let me go straight to enjoying the game with its full unlocks.

And again, this only applies to single player games period, i will never cheat / promote cheating nor will this forum support cheating in a multiplayer game.

Fortnite (you know, the biggest game on the planet right now?) has crossplay with PC.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Also, cheating in an online game is a whooole nother league than nixing some adresses localhost.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Pretty much every first party Microsoft title is cross play now and cross buy. If you buy it digital from either the Windows Store or Xbox Live you get it for Xbox and PC both and can cross-play & cross-save. On the xbox version you can disable cross-play for ranked matches. Steam version can also cross-play and cross-save but you will only have the game from Steam, not also on your Xbox.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Fist dip into the series with Gears5 here.

+ Fantastic narrative
+ Super acting
+ Sublime graphics
- Game mechanics bug the hell out of me.

Its like the ME and DAO games, the world is "cut off" at places where you are not supposed to go... and it works OK for a game that is heavily RPG oriented. A shooter on the other hand? Not so much It feels more gimped so that anything else I've played before ..
Then there is the battle mechanics .. some ranged creatures will just 1-hit you .. add some golum creatures to bite your angles from frantic directions and you are in for some fun with your massive 60 degree FOV. The fighting is doable ... its just not enjoyable.

The part about places that seems like obvious within reach ... but you cant go there "because" is probably what bugs me the most.

I can totally understand where you are coming from, as the maps (including single player maps) are more like structured "arenas" where the players are confined to fight in, as opposed to being more natural and flowing. This is how it's always been though and fans of the series will always argue that that's what makes the gears series what it is. It's a clunky, heavy and messy slog to play and for some reason I still love it. Even though I am constantly snapping to cover I don't want to be in and some of the enemies move faster than you can aim, I do find it enjoyable.

Does anyone know if the game has a quick 180 turn around mechanic and, if so, how the heck do I do it? I feel like they've implemented it in the past.

Reactions: cytg111

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Loved the first Gears of War, but never felt like it needed a sequel. Some things can just be a one and done.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Loved the first Gears of War, but never felt like it needed a sequel. Some things can just be a one and done.

True but I’ve played them all at one time or another. Figure I’d give 5 a go since I did the 3 month Xbox game pass to play horizon 4, metro exodus, and middle earth: shadow of war for basically nothing a week or so ago.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Well, finally got around to playing. Conclusion: This is a proper gears game, unlike 4. Only at the end of Chapter 2, and already know I will do more play throughs. The story has gone where I originally thought it would, before 3 left me scratching my head about the direction they took. There are some intense fights with some new enemies that are fun to throw down with. The mansion fight in the OG, Particularly on insane, is one of my favorite single player moments. And this game has already captured that feeling for me. Personally, the tweaks to gameplay are mostly welcomed. And give me a new tactical wrinkle to work with, instead of spending the whole fight relying so much on the cover mechanic. Flashing, shocking, and Armor shield, provide the opportunity to bum rush and melee more.

This game does indeed look fantastic. Nothing else to say about it, since hardware unboxed and digital foundry have provided great coverage of the eye candy and performance tweaks.

Despite being on PC, I use a wired 360 controller for a number of reasons. Most importantly, I put hundreds of hours into the series on 360 using it. Another important reason, is that the game feels dead with a mouse. E.G. Weapons have a feel to them, and gears is a series that uses the vibration so well, that it feels like more than a gimmick. And in single player, aiming with a mouse feels like cheating. I played Gears Ultimate with the mouse for a while and had to stop because of the above reasons.

Game pass is only $1 for the fist month, and $4.95 after that. Well worth it for me, since I am looking forward to playing Forza Horizon 4 when I finish this.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I always wanted the GoW games to come to PC mainly because I love sniping in games and sniping accurately is almost impossible for me with a controller. There's always some form of cursor acceleration when using a gamepad, so I could never get used to the aiming going from different games, whereas on the PC, you can turn off the acceleration completely and just use a set DPI for every single game.

Granted, most third-person action games I'll always use a controller simply because it feels better (with a few exceptions), but when I get around to playing this, it'll be keyboard and mouse for me.