GD-990FXA-UD3 Power blips on and off (replacement suggestions?)

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
I installed a refurbished Corsair H100 onto my GD-990FXA-UD3 with an FX-8350 last night.

Previously I was running 4.6ghz at 1.35V with an NZXT Respire T20 with very high load line calibration and HWMonitor was reporting 70C running LinX.

After the H100 was installed I got it up to 4.8GHZ at 1.375V and +.25V to the CPU-NB with lower temps than before. It passed 10 iterations of "very high" LinX (4gb) at the same reported temps as before on air. I queued it up for 20 iterations of LinX using 14gb of memory to test stability over night.

I came back an hour later to the comp off and it would refuse to power on. If I hit the power button, it will blip on for a fraction of a section and immediately power off. I removed everything from the case and disconnected anything unnecessary to rule out shorts to no effect. I tried another known good power supply and no change either.

I have tested the video card (Radeon 7970), RAM (4x4gb Crucial DDR1333), and power supply (Seasonic X-650 gold) successfully in another system.

At this point my thoughts are that something blew in the power stage on the motherboard. I bought the board used on craigslist a few months ago so I'm unlikely to be able to get an original invoice for an RMA.

At this point, I'm thinking of just paying through the nose for a 990FX Sabertooth to know I'm getting something of quality. Any other suggestions? I use the box as a VM testbed, folding@home cruncher, video encoder, and as a secong gaming system when a friend comes to visit.

1stezekiel

Feb 25, 2008
Mine powers off, after an initial short beep... let it be for a sec, and it starts back up. U try resetting cmos? Take battery out and such? I know its a basic question... just trying to help. The short beep... power off thing, from what ive read, is normal on this mobo. Will power back up, after tho.

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
Mine powers off, after an initial short beep... let it be for a sec, and it starts back up. U try resetting cmos? Take battery out and such? I know its a basic question... just trying to help. The short beep... power off thing, from what ive read, is normal on this mobo. Will power back up, after tho.

I've tried pulling the battery and resetting CMOS, I should have stated that above. IT does not turn on again if I leave it. In fact, it will not try to power up again until I power cycle the power supply. It literally comes on for ~100 milliseconds before just hard cutting off. This happens with two separate power supplies.

SeeWhy777

Apr 28, 2014
I just got my ( Refurbished from a new RMA :( ) GA-990FXA-UD3 back from Gigabyte today... I'm very disappointed in Gigabyte after years of using them. I bought the board new about 5 months ago, now I have to live with a refurb. The original board powered on briefly then off, then after another slight pause it booted again... Turned out the 3v ground was bad. It ended up frying my cpu along with the motherboard. I don't overclock and had disabled the "AMD Turbo" whatever it's called that bumps the FX-8350 from 4.0 to 4.2 GHz... Even though this option is enabled by default it can still void your warranty. My solution was I bought an Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0. I have posted my thoughts on the Gigabyte boards in another thread so i'll just recap here... The Gigabyte boards manufactured in Taiwan years ago were much better quality than the ones now manufactured in China. I would suggest keeping an eye on your hardware with with this Gigabyte board. I've been reading horror stories from people and this motherboard. I wish you the best of luck with your board, as I will be pulling this board out as soon as the replacement comes in... (I will keep this as an emergency spare, but I would not recommend them to anyone ever again.)

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
Yeah, I got the board/cpu/ram as a package deal off craigslist for $260. Just the FX-8350 and 16gb DDR3 would run me $350 brand new from Newegg. Therefore, I'm not too upset at the loss of the board, I just hope my CPU is ok.

It is unfortunately to hear how subpar the power stage is on most AM3+ boards, considering FX chips are power hungry and overclocking is where a lot of their value comes from.

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
Well it's official, hooked it all up and the Sabertooth CPU failure light lit up immediately. Dead GA-990FXA-UD3 took the FX-8350 with it. Time to RMA the CPU :(