Gay Marriage...

BigToquex

Mar 29, 2003
As of right now, I don't know the whole situation, but could someone help explain what the big issues of homosexual marriage are.

Is it just that homosexuals want to have the definition of marriage changed to allow them to be married and recognized as being married? Or are there other things like benefits and such on the block?

spiridion

May 14, 2001
If they are not legally acknowledged as a married couple they don't qualify for benefits. No tax breaks. They really get screwed in the....

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I honestly don't see the problem with two guys (or girls) getting married. What are some arguements against it?

BigToquex

Mar 29, 2003
I honestly don't see the problem with two guys (or girls) getting married. What are some arguements against it?

As far as I know, the problem lies with religion.

Marriage was created by God and was intended only for the union of a Man and a Woman. No other exceptions. I think people want to have the definition changed, which is what is upsetting people.

I don't necessarily think that the definition of marriage should be changed (I'm not religious at all), but I feel it is unfair for heterosexual couples to recieve benefits that other homosexual couples are excluded from. I feel that either all couples should recieve the benefits, or there should be no benefits at all.

Could the answer be some way to recognize a homosexual couple, yet not have it recognized as marriage?

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
This is in reference to Canadian Law.

There is no difference between a opposite sex couple in a common law marriage and a same sex couple in Canadian Law, because in M v. H the supreme court struck down the definition of marriage set out by the FLA (Family law act). So a gay couple has the same rights granted to common law couples. But they are not allowed to have the official marriage status because Bill C-225 specifically defines marriage as the legal union of one man and one woman as husband and wife. There is a case in the Superior court of Ontario right now that will decide if the definitions are discriminatory and is a not against section 15 of the Charter of Rights. Other provincial courts like Quebec and BC have already ruled in favour of same sex marriages, and the feds are waiting for the decision by this court.

What does this mean to you? Nothing, but its interesting to see what other countries are doing in this same situation. Netherlands and Belgium legally recognize same-sex marriage afaik, maybe we'll get some more info on that from a person living there.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: BigToque

As far as I know, the problem lies with religion.

Marriage was created by God and was intended only for the union of a Man and a Woman. No other exceptions. I think people want to have the definition changed, which is what is upsetting people.

I don't necessarily think that the definition of marriage should be changed (I'm not religious at all), but I feel it is unfair for heterosexual couples to recieve benefits that other homosexual couples are excluded from. I feel that either all couples should recieve the benefits, or there should be no benefits at all.

Could the answer be some way to recognize a homosexual couple, yet not have it recognized as marriage?

IMO the Bible should have no say in American law. Freedom of religion also means free from religion (just like that link said). Take away the religious aspect, and have you no valid argument against it. And how can so many people support gay rights and then turn around and say "No" to gay marriage? Seems rather hypocritcal to me.

NoComprende

Mar 10, 2003
Could it be related to adoption of children. Right now it seems that only wealthy gay people can adopt children and (I could be very wrong) they might be adopting them as one person, rather than a couple.

I'm not against gay people, but I don't believe that it is in the best interests of a child's emotional development to spend his early years assimilating only gay sexual relations. Since most of the population is not gay, this would increase the chances that a non-gay child would grow up feeling that his heterosexual feelings are abnormal.

BigToquex

Mar 29, 2003
Since most of the population is not gay, this would increase the chances that a non-gay child would grow up feeling that his heterosexual feelings are abnormal.

There is plenty of research to suggest that the sexual orientation of the childs (for lack of a better word) "parents" is insignificant in how the child will develop.

NoComprende

Mar 10, 2003
I'm not suggesting that it will somehow 'turn them gay.'

I'm just saying that when you are repeatedly exposed to an action portrayed in a manner that makes it seem to be the accepted or 'correct' way, when you experience feelings against that perceived norm you will begin to question the validity of your feelings. Is that in the best interests of the child?

Maybe something like:
"There must be something wrong with me, because I want to flirt with Jane and she's girl."

flyfish

Oct 23, 2000
Generally speaking, people who practice homosexuality want to feel like what they are doing is OK with society.
They want to be praised and rewarded for their choice.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its my right to tell other people what they cannot do!! haha :p

bah. its no skinoff by back if other people get married. people should worry about themselves more.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: flyfish
Generally speaking, people who practice homosexuality want to feel like what they are doing is OK with society. They want to be praised and rewarded for their choice.

What in the hell does being praised and rewarded have to do with marrage. In many countries, it is OK with society (I say in 10 years, the US will be the same)

IF two people love each other enough to want to be married, then more power too them.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: spiridion
If they are not legally acknowledged as a married couple they don't qualify for benefits. No tax breaks. They really get screwed in the....

Oh The irony of that statement ;)

Ausm

Jan 18, 2001
I believe that there are two reasons why gays/lesbians want the legal right to marry.

1) marriage is a legal contract between two people that has economic consequences
2) gays see not being able to enter into marriage legally as a form of discrimination

Personally, I think people should be able to marry whoever they want, assuming they are of sound mind and of legal age.

ICEVaPa

Dec 11, 2002
This sounds unjust but... Lesbians all the way! (as long as the dont have a child) Gays..... nope, sorry! :(

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: ICEVaPa
This sounds unjust but... Lesbians all the way! (as long as the dont have a child) Gays..... nope, sorry! :(

Thanks Howard Stern.

-geoff

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ICEVaPa
Actually, it just sounds really, really stupid. Disliking gay men but being OK with gay women (thinking that they're all hot and might bring you into a threesome like in all the pr0n you jerk off to
rolleye.gif
) is just mind-numbingly idiotic. Homosexuality is just that regardless of the gender involved. Real-life lesbians generally don't look anything like Jenna Jameson and sure as hell don't want anything to do with your sorry ass.