Gay marriage legal in Massachusetts

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Boston.com story

Surprised nobody else posted this. Big news, big news indeed. First state in the nation- in 180 days state marriage licenses (not just civil union like it VT) will be handed out to gay couples if they request it and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it. The only way to get rid of this is to amend the state constitution, and that won't be able to happen until at least 2006.

This is a big surprise because the Ma Supreme Court is considered rather conservative.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
I think it's about frigging time... consenting adults should be able to enter into the binding legal marriage contract regardless of sex, race or creed.

-Max

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
First state in the nation

What about Vermont and Hawaii? Nevertheless, it is a big victory for gay rights. However, the ruling DOESN'T necessarily mean that marriage certificates will be handed out in 180 days. The ruling simply states that the legislature (which is very conservative) has to resolve the issue.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
OMG!!! OH NO! AIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! NOOOOOO!O!OO!O!!!!

:Q

:D

We are going to have all these gay married people turning all of our children gay!! :| Please...think of the children!! :(

;)

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Vermont and Hawaii are Civil Union, not marriage license.

Local news is covering this in detail here- Yes, it does indeed mean that licenses will have to be handed out in 180, and the only thing the legislature can do right now is clean-up the wording, but until an amendment is passed, they can't be denied.

It will be interesting to see how business like insurance companies handle this for the 2yrs or so it remains in effect.

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
yeah i have been waiting for hawaii and vermont to have burning sulfur rained down upon them.
now massachusetts too or NEW SODOM; as i will now refer to it.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I'm fascinated that this can be happening in a dictatorial fascist regime granted by the supreme coup teetering on the brink of depression and civil war.

Perhaps it is all a neo-con ploy to distract the liberals and wal-mart employees.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
I'm fascinated that this can be happening in a dictatorial fascist regime granted by the supreme coup teetering on the brink of depression and civil war.

Perhaps it is all a neo-con ploy to distract the liberals and wal-mart employees.

wtf are you talking about?

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I dunno, maybe he thinks the Mass Judicial Supreme Court is the Supreme Court of the USA?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber

Don't read this forum much, do you ;)

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber

Don't read this forum much, do you ;)

My sarcasm meter must be a bit off today ;)

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003

go lookup what a fascist is, then read a definition of facism, then read it again to make absolutely sure you understand it, then come back and dont make any more stupid posts like that.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Genesys

go lookup what a fascist is, then read a definition of facism, then read it again to make absolutely sure you understand it, then come back and dont make any more stupid posts like that.

LOL I'm getting too dang good at this...

Genesys your sarcasm meter is broken just like BB's ;)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Serves you right Alchemize you smart ass ;)

Anyway, this IS an interesting development. And once a gay couple gets married in MASS, all the other states will HAVE to recognize it as a legal marriage despite their own laws regarding marriage.....

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Anyway, this IS an interesting development. And once a gay couple gets married in MASS, all the other states will HAVE to recognize it as a legal marriage despite their own laws regarding marriage.....

HaHa.....that is going to piss Mississippi and Alabama off something fierce.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Actually I don't think they have to. I dare say that it will not be "valid" if the "couple" moved to a state that did not recognize gay marriage. But it will cause problems with Corporations that have a presence in Mass but don't have Insurance policies for gay "unions" or "marriages". The tax situation will be a mess for a while as long as it having atleast a minor ripple in the Corporate healthcare area.

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Actually I don't think they have to. I dare say that it will not be "valid" if the "couple" moved to a state that did not recognize gay marriage. But it will cause problems with Corporations that have a presence in Mass but don't have Insurance policies for gay "unions" or "marriages". The tax situation will be a mess for a while as long as it having atleast a minor ripple in the Corporate healthcare area.

CkG

No Cad, it's a constitutional requirement that states must recognize legal contracts in other states.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
This makes me wonder how many Insurance companies will drop Mass altogether?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

No Cad, it's a constitutional requirement that states must recognize legal contracts in other states.

One Word that means 4.

DOMA

CkG

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

CkG

It is not, the marriages will not be valid in other states. When vermont first had civial unions people from other states would come to vermont to get married and then leave. The people that did that can not get a devorce because to file for devorce in vermont you must be a resident and other states don't recogizes the people as married.

Zipp

Apr 7, 2001
I heard on the radio that Gov. Mitt Romney will be fighting to stop this before the ruling actually goes into effect....Go Mitt!!!

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Actually, Mitt was told by someone who knows about things like Mass Law that State Supreme Court decisions can't be overruled by the Gov.:p

He's trying now to get gay marriage to have a different classification. Good luck to him.;)

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I have heard it was a narrow margin something like 3-4. So basically one person decided for an entire state, or depending if other states are forced to recognize a gay marriage, an entire country what is right and wrong. I would think that something of this magnitude, would have been put to the people of that state to vote on. just my opinion.