Gave windows 8 a proper try, still sucks

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Maximilian, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Mem

Mem Lifer

I did read what you said however Microsoft looked at the bigger picture on battery life, average tablet/notebook users don't go around keeping it plugged into the mains or setting up power features(yes I read your power saving feature you do with Aero)there was a compromise here,however I did say they should of left an option for desktops users in my previous post.

Do I miss Aero?.... not really, I don't have it on my Android Tablet or Ubuntu PC,sure its nice eye candy but it does not do anything that is useful if you see my point.

Win8 desktop as far as I'm concerned works similar to Win7 depending on how you use your PC so don't see the real problem there,sure they have changed a few things but they always do on every new OS they ever released,I only ever use keyboard and mouse btw on Win8 , however somethings I like on Vista that I did not like on Win7 ,same goes for Win8,probably same for Win9 etc...

End of the day I can use Win8 well as a desktop/gamer user,its fast ,stable with new features and just works for me so yes I'm keeping it as a desktop OS,Metro I'm neutral on.

I probably upgrade to Win9 when it comes out too,I've always upgraded earlier since Dos 6.22 days and excepted there will always be changes and things I like and dislike etc...no OS is perfect.

GW2 awaits :cool:

#301 Mem, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. 2is

2is Diamond Member

You keep using the word compromise, I don't think it means what you think it means. You plug in, you get aero, you're on battery you don't and extend your battery life. That's not a compromise, it's the exact opposite, actually.

3. thewarrior008

thewarrior008 Junior Member

Totally agree with you. Windows 8 looks totally different from previous Windows version . Atleast microsoft could have given us the option to get back the start menu without install third-party app.

4. tfouto

tfouto Junior Member

I cant get USB 3.0 working with Windows 8. I mean they work, but at USB 2.0 speeds. Windows 7 is working super fast...

5. zephxiii

zephxiii Member

I need to upgrade one of the laptops i work on to 8 to really get a feel for laptop/desktop use. I had the preview going...but that's sort of a halfassed setup since it isn't permanent.

I still love it for HTPC use!!

6. Mem

Mem Lifer

Point was Microsoft had to compromised on what they could do with desktop UI for Win8,ie Win8 UI desktop to be more inline with Metro GUI etc.. so Aero had to go ,they even said so,

7. pmv

pmv Golden Member

But that's not a compromise. A compromise would be leaving the desktop as it was for those who prefer that, with an option for the user of having it...er...metrocated?,,,if that's what the user wants.

Having it compulsorarily metrofied is precisely the opposite of a compromise.

There's no reason why it would _have_ to be 'more in line with Metro GUI'. Personally I think the Metro GUI is hideous to look at. Its an ugly smartphone style interface, one seemingly designed for the technical limitations of such a display/input method.

8. 2is

2is Diamond Member

So first it was of resources (resources that intel IGP's from 5+ years ago could handle)

Then it was battery life (which is also debunked due to being able to disable it)

And now it's because it's "in-line" with Metro. (whatever that's suppose to mean)

Lets ignore what you just said as well as that quote for a moment. Instead, lets go ahead and use our brain and some critical thinking skills we learned in highschool instead of simply buying into what someone wants to sell us... I've thought long and hard. I don't see ANY reason why Aero could not be added into the desktop UI. None.

So the question is... Why does it have to be "in-line" with Metro? It's two different interfaces, one designed for tablets, phones and to a more limited extent, PC's with touchscreens. the other for a mouse and keyboard. Those are the fundamental differences between the two UI's and those fundamental differences do not change with or without Aero. What changes is the desktop UI looks like something that's 20 years old instead of 20 days old. So I ask you, Mem, why? Don't tell me what Microsoft wants you to say, use your most valuable asset, (your mind) and tell me why YOU think removing Aero was a good thing.

YHPM
    -ViRGE

#308 2is, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
  9. Mem

Mem Lifer

I was going to reply but its clear you just trying to insult me and don't really care what I say ,so I won't bother.

I will say read up on forums rules about being polite and respecting others around here,did I insult you?.... no,even PMV was more polite then you.

Manners are free,cost nothing try remembering that.

10. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Its the sickest OS, read my thread.

The interface is sick,, everything is flat , no more bubbly buttons and blue back and forth button, its like office sorta,,,, soo nice,,, everything soo much faster then before.....

The fact it did registry defrag with registry life in 5 seconds tells you everything.

Ive been running registry life on 7 for years and registry defrag took 3 minutes.. I could go make coffee come back relax a bit.. soo thath tells you how far the OS desktop has come

also you have to change options and not let tracking and different things you get at first boot after installation... everything smooth my dads sandy bridge 2600k opens windows soo smooth animations are nice,, but I had to turn mine off in 7 cuz of lag ,, it was slow. this Windows 8 , leave all animations on, its amazing,, it comes instantly but in a animated way I mean 3 years MS had to do this its the best OS ever, and metro is something to have on a second monitor and have that running while your using your desktop........ you need classic shell free app and gain your functionality and start menu back... gl

11. Maximilian

Maximilian Lifer

12. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat Golden Member

13. vshin

vshin Member

This "hatred" of Windows 8 doesn't make any sense to me. It's virtually the same OS as Windows 7 except there's a Start Screen instead of a Start Menu. It's not a big deal whether you like it or not.

14. Makaveli

Makaveli Diamond Member

Its not a big deal for you!!!!!!!

Did you ever think that maybe some people use a computer differently than the way you use it?

It doesn't make sense to me that you don't understand that.

15. pmv

pmv Golden Member

I agree that the change isn't huge. But the Start Screen instead of the Start menu is a step backwards for most desktop users - its _worse_ to use and more primitive in its approach than what we had before. That's not the way OS iterations have previously gone, normally they get more sophisticated to make use of the more powerful hardware available. In this case its gone slightly backwards because its targeting the weaker hardware of mobile devices.

(and don't forget the loss of cosmetic aero features also)

So its a trifle irritating that for non tablet users this 'upgrade' takes away just as much as it adds (the plus side being small-but-nice things like much improved USB3 support, slightly-faster booting, and folder merge _finally_ being done the way it should have been done in one of the later versions of Windows95 - better late than never I guess).

It would probably be better if 8 had _only_ gone backwards so one could just totally ignore it. Having it add some nice things while removing others is just plain annoying!

16. yinan

yinan Golden Member

The start screen just plain sucks and is annoying. It takes up way too much screen real estate. And if apps go fully metro, how am I supposed to efficiently multitask and watch the output from several applications/windows at once?

The loss of Aero also pisses me off. I really like how it makes windows look.

I will not be upgrading to this useless OS anytime.

17. Maximilian

Maximilian Lifer

Yeah thats likely the 4 million shipped to retailers figure ballmer was throwing around. Shipped to retailers and actually sold to people are two different things though ;)

18. rgallant

rgallant Golden Member

well for me no sound drivers for most sound cards = no win 8 for me at this time.
    -for my forte eta Jan. 2013
    -creative cards nov.30
    -checked to day for the on board of the Asus M5F.-all win 7.
    -sad really , given bad sound drivers can bring any system down at any time and I don't want to play well what caused this blue screen today for the next 2-3 months.

19. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat Golden Member

I was under the impression Windows 7 drivers should work on Windows 8. Is this not the case?

20. cboath

cboath Senior member

Creative has always sucked out loud when it comes having drivers ready day 1 (or even month one for that matter).

I have an Asus AP5B and I can't tell you if they had drivers on the site for it, but win8 runs great on it. I don't know where that board rates in the time scale, but I bought mine about 3 years ago I want to say.

As far as some people liking or prefering the start button goes, no one is denying that's the case at all. What's irritating to a lot of people is that a number of those who prefer it tend to whine about it non-stop and don't seem to try and make an effort to live without it. I've put forth the question repeatedly about what you can do in the old start menu you can't do in win 8 and I get no real answers. Just 'it's easier for me' stuff. The only thing not in the win8 start menu is all programs. The rest is still there and you can add to it yourself.

I'll admit to feeling pretty much the same way about losing the start menu in the CP. Finding the 'hidden' start menu helped a lot. I only messed with a week or so before ignoring it. Got the RTM in august and with the stuff i've read here and the small tweaks they made, it made a big difference.

21. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

It's not quite as simple as click & install, but that's not too far off. Win8 can load Win7 drivers, so it's generally the installer holding things back, or Win8 not liking the lack of a Win8 entry in the driver's INF file.

22. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

plenty of people here have said many a time in many a thread why it's inferior. you obviously missed all those posts

23. MadScientist

MadScientist Platinum Member

After working with Win 8 Pro on my HTPC my assessment is that it’s just ok. As one reviewer put it it’s Windows 7 + 1. Like a lot of others, to make it more like Windows 7 I installed Start8.

To me this reviewer’s final verdict of it is dead on. http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-review-part-8-verdict-144708

Most people should have no problems installing Win 8. I had a few hiccups. Here’s how I fixed them.

I did a clean (format C) boot install from a $40. Upgrade DVD. I thought everything went well until I started getting random restarts. Running sfc /scannow as admin from a command window found corrupted system files it could not fix. Stuff happens. Ran a Refresh your PC install from the charm bar and all was well, sfc /scannow found no problems. My settings and WMC were still intact.

Ran Windows update. One of the updates, KB2756872, a biggie, 162.8MB, failed to install 4x, got ‘er on the 5th try, but again stuff happens, especially with windows updates. Seems I’m not the only one to have this problem. Only AV I’m running is Defender. http://www.forumswindows8.com/tutor...-installing-windows-update-kb2756872-8301.htm

When configuring WMC for my 5.1 speakers it failed the speaker test. Downloaded and installed Realtek’s R2.70 HD audio driver. After setting digital output as the default in Realtek’s HD audio manager, 5.1 surround for DVD movies sounds great. I’m using a Toslink cable from my MB to my old, circa 1998, AV receiver. It does not have pass thru capability. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

I’m using Intel’s onboard HD video. Windows update downloaded and installed the latest driver, but to see the Graphic Properties screen I needed to download and install NET framework 3.5. Not included in Windows 8????

Last, I could not join my Windows 7 Homegroup. The Homegroup troubleshooter found no problems. Everything checked out ok. Synced the clocks and turned off AV and firewall. No go. Ok, try the obvious, changed the Homegroup password, success, joined. So why didn’t the original password work???
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-cannot-connect-to-homegroup/

24. squirrel dog

squirrel dog Diamond Member

I bought 8 and used it for 3 days.Try as I might I cound not get my Dell3100cn printer to work,and I tried every trick I knew.No win7 64 driver would work,so I am back to 7.I found 8 to be configurable to a point to where it looked like 7 to me,8 is a bit faster,resource management I would guess.But I need the printer(canoscan scanner too)I will wait untill I can find windows 8 pro drivers that work with legacy hardware,or I will pass.