Gave in and bought a monster cable

Feb 4, 2009
highend gold plated, woven fabric super thick type HDMI cable

For $8.88 at Staples clearance rack
Why anyone would pay the original $80 is beyond my comprehension.

Reactions: Paladin3

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I spent 3 days buying power cables from a dollar store because it was more lucrative selling them back to the scrap yard..made a few hundred bucks.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
8 bux is good.

80 bux isnt even the "original" price. Those things OG'd at $140.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I have an expensive Monster surge protector. Got it free at a yard sale because it was dead. Contacted Monster, they replaced it free. I had to pay to ship the dead one to them, maybe $8.00. It’s ok.

Feb 4, 2009
It’s a real high quality cable but it’s just a cable. I get it being more because that’s a I need it now thing so obviously there is a premium.
Still can’t figure out why someone would pay more than $30-$40 for it.
More importantly why monster needs such an enormous margin.
I’d imagine a $30 something margin on a cable would be pretty good.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I spent 3 days buying power cables from a dollar store because it was more lucrative selling them back to the scrap yard..made a few hundred bucks.

What were they selling them for a penny? I don't even bother scraping my scrap wire from jobs they pay so little around here.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
More importantly why monster needs such an enormous margin.
Ah well ... it's not a question of margins, but rather of market placement. Monster's brand image is "our cables SOUND BETTER" which, scientifically speaking, is bullshit.
To make people believe the cables sound better, they raise the price. And it works.
They sell more *because* they overcharge.

Human psychology is funny.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
why does Staples even have them?
Because Staples is desperate to move overprices products in there B&M stores to rube customers. When I worked there it was all about stacking service plans, extended warranties and expensive crap like $80 cables onto computer sales. We tried Monster Cables, Beats headphones, Shark Tank, As Seen On TV, and any other gimmicks we could. More than once I whispered "monoprice.com" or "swiftink.com" into a customer's ear.

The savvy, cost conscientious customer is not the Staples customer. If you come in and buy a bare computer on sale, or just grab the loss leaders from the weekly ad, the managers look at you with contempt. And the employees cower because they know they are fucked for ringing up that bare computer they didn't get a service, repair and warranty plan on. We called that hitting a triple when you got all three. A sale was only a homerun if you sold a wireless mouse/keyboard, UPS and printer/ink too. Then you'd get asked by the sales manager why you didn't sell a service plan on the printer or sell an ink discount card to the customer as well. Did you even offer to show them a chair and floor mat or new desk?

I honestly think Staples management looks back to the glory days when it was easy to make B&M sales and can't figure out why it stopped. Now with their shrinking market share they are using the kick-the-person-below-you style of management and it's ain't working. All while perpetuating the myth that ink really should cost that much. At least that's how it was at my old store.

NO! I'm not bitter at all!

Reactions: DigDog

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
39921.jpg

Monoprice Select Series High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K @ 24Hz, 10.2Gbps, 28AWG, 6ft, Black $3.39

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3992

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
People don't realize that digital means it either gets a strong enough signal or it does not. Many people think we are back in the analog days where a stronger signal meant better quality. Its starting to change and people are starting to realize that things like Monster cables are pointless.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Careful that you don't develop a high-end cable addiction. Before you know it, the demons have taken over, stole all your money and your pride, and force you to live on an unincorporated lot in a tiny house without a shitter.

Feb 4, 2009
Careful that you don't develop a high-end cable addiction. Before you know it, the demons have taken over, stole all your money and your pride, and force you to live on an unincorporated lot in a tiny house without a shitter.

Thanks for the reminder but don't worry, instead of never paying for Monster Cables I have now decided I'll go up to $20 if the need is urgent.