Gateway 200 ARC (200E, 200X, 200XL, etc) problem

TheWingThing

May 27, 2004
Does anyone know a fix for this problem? The following is actually an email I wrote to several computer magazines.

Please let me know if you know the cause for this problem and how to fix it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gateway's unscrupulous business practice
Reg: Gateway 200E laptop computer (Part# 3501651).
I bought this laptop from Ubid (manufacturer refurbished with 1 year manufacturer warranty). This laptop has a serious BIOS or hardware problem. Gateway knows about this problem, but they are selling these laptops as refurbished, in spite of their knowledge that this problem still exists. This model is part of the 200 ARC series, which also includes 200X and 200XL. I'm not sure if these models have this problem too.

When the user puts the computer into standby and then wakes it up, and then uses the volume control by pressing the Fn + arrow key, the computer crashes.

Gateway doesnt have a fix for this. They just tell the user not to press these keys, and use the volume control icon on their task bar instead. But the ctrl+arrow keys are pressed usually to tab through one word at a time, and often users press Fn key instead of Ctrl key. Pressing Fn + arrow key after waking up the computer from standby will crash the computer. I've lost a few pages of code and text because of this problem.

This leads to loss of all unsaved work. Gateway is not working toward fixing this problem. They tell the users to otherwise use this key combination a while after waking up the computer, but this does not solve the problem. I have the latest BIOS updates and Windows updates installed.

One of the Level 2 tech support people told me to use the screensaver instead of standby. Apparently, he doesn't know the difference between the purpose of a screensaver and standby mode, or he and the other tech support people think that their customers are starfishes that they can push around denying support for a defective product.

Gateway tech support said they do not know what causes this problem. It is disappointing that this model has been in production for more than a year, but they still havent found out the cause or fixed this problem.

One of the tech support persons at Gateway even yelled at me on the phone, telling me not to press the keys instead of trying to solve the problem with their defective product. That reflects on how much Gateway is committed to quality, customer support and satisfaction. They said they will not replace my laptop with one that isn't defective.

They asked me to send it to them, and they will try to fix it. They did not give me an estimate of how long this will take, even though their warranty policy states "upto 10 business days" for service under warranty. When I asked them what causes this problem, they said that they dont know. But they still ask me to send them so that they will fix it. I wonder how they will fix a problem if they don't know the cause, and why they will not replace the laptop in that case.

I asked them why they market a defetive product when they know the problem exists. They said "everybody does it". I asked to talk to their quality assurance and product engineering. They did not connect me to them, and did not give me their phone numbers or email addresses. They asked me to write a snail mail to the company's general mailing address. I submitted an email on their website, but I haven't heard back from their Quality Assurance in more than 1 week.

I view this as fraud, since they are selling a defective product with full knowledge, and are not wanting to fix it. I believe that they are dumping such defective products through various retailers such as Ubid, Costco, etc.

I sincerely request that you pursue this issue with Gateway and publish this story, so that defective products do not get dumped on the customers. This is especially important, since these laptop computers sell for about $1500 a piece, and are an expensive purchase for most students and salaried professionals.

Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: I appreciate a good product, don't get me wrong. This is one of the best laptops in the market, loaded with tons of features and very light and compact. Except for this problem, and Gateway's despicable attitude towards Quality Assurance, fixing problems, customer service, customer satisfaction and respecting the customers that keep the company alive, I absolutely like this laptop. If they didn't have this problem or atleast cared to fix it, I will be recommending this laptop to everyone I know. Well, they reap what they sow.

:thumbsdown:

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
I'm not sure if this will help or not, but...

I think the Gateway 200 is built by Samsung which also sells it as the Samsung X05/NX05. You may be able to find more information on the problem and possible solutions if you also search for this model (or even contact Samsung).

jdiddy

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2004
I have a 200x and i have never run into this problem. What version of the bios do you have? I have 42.01.02. I've been trying to duplicate your problem for the last 5 minutes with no success luckily.

jdiddy

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2004
3501609 Looks like mine is a earlier revision. I'm going to try a few more times to duplicate your problem.

TheWingThing

May 27, 2004
Originally posted by: jdiddy
3501609 Looks like mine is a earlier revision. I'm going to try a few more times to duplicate your problem.

or a later version may be. Mine is a 200E, which was earlier than the 200x and 200xl.