Gas Water Heater Questions

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I've got a gas water heater in my apartment and it has been making noise when it runs. Up until I had this apartment I never dealt with a hot water heater so I thought the noises were normal and meant that it was heating water. The lady who lives beneath talked to me the other day about it and she thinks it might be on it's way out.
In the morning after I shower it will kick on to heat the replacement water in the tank. While it's running, it hisses a bit and makes popping noises. As far as the pops go, nothing too loud usually, about as loud as pop corn in a microwave, but maybe one pop every couple seconds. Every now and then it lets go with a big one though which is almost as loud as someone popping a paper bag in the utility closet where it sits. This has me a bit worried now that she's mentioned it. I've heard stories of them blowing up and 40 gallons of water going into the apartment below would not be a cool thing for my landlord to have to deal with.
I'm gonna give him the heads up when I bring over my rent check tonight but I thought I'd ask OT and see if anybody has dealt with this before. Loud pops normal with a gas water heater? Any idea what's wrong with it?

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
Not sure exactly ... but gas is SERIOUS. If it goes it could explode! Did you see that mythbusters!?

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
I think lime build-up in the bottom of the tank causes the popping. Dont be surprised if your landlord wants to flush the tank out.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
He did mention to me that he had the thing worked on or replaced when the last tennant was there. He probably had the tank flushed like you mentioned, because it doesn't look too new. Yeah those big pops while they are few and far between(I've gone a week without hearing one) really have me worried now. One morning it could be that one last big POP! and my ass will be grass, haha.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
I doubt there is any chance of the tank blowing because pressure valves etc. The bottom of the tank might rust out and start seeping water though.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
The pressure valve doesn't always work. You could ask your landlord to test it. Of course, it can get messed up so that once you pull it out, you can't get it back in. This is why you don't test your pressure valve at 9pm on a Saturday night, and also why you should have your landlord do it instead of messing with it yourself.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: angminas
The pressure valve doesn't always work. You could ask your landlord to test it. Of course, it can get messed up so that once you pull it out, you can't get it back in. This is why you don't test your pressure valve at 9pm on a Saturday night, and also why you should have your landlord do it instead of messing with it yourself.

Sounds like you've been there! Yeah, I'm definitely not touching it. Just trying to figure out if my life and limbs are at risk. Thanks for the advice guys.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Blieb
Not sure exactly ... but gas is SERIOUS. If it goes it could explode! Did you see that mythbusters!?
I think they used electric water heaters. The source of the explosive force results from the water within attempting to completely finish its phase change due to the added heat.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
For it to blow up the thermostat or the gas valve would have to stick to make the fire stay on. Second the temperture pressure release valve would have to fail. You have a better chance of winning the lottery. Have your landlord flush it but you don't need to worry about it.