Gas Range -- clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
My Viking 6-burner gas cooktop keeps clicking after the burner that's on has lit. I've googled around and while there are a number of possible culprits, the spark 'plugs' at each burner are ALL sparking, even though only one burner is supposed to be on.

Does that mean my spark module is bad, rather than it being a dirt problem? They're all clean, except at their bases, where there's some hard-to-reach gunk - all very far from where the spark came from.

It's unplugged (suggested on some forums) right now.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Sounds like it's brain is screwed up. All my gas stuff is ancient. Do new ones use a computer?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
they all spark every time you light it. much simpler that way rather than having a controller for each.

turn it down from the 'light' setting. high is actually a little down the dial from light.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
most likely the lighter module is defective. if you put a match over it, will it light that way?

also, you prob want to have it serviced, as gas may be coming out without your knowledge and all it takes it one spark to go boom.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
huh, so when you turn one knob to light, all 6 click(which is normal, atleast on mine) the one you turned on ignites, then you turn it back off the light position and the clicking still clicks?

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Sounds like it's brain is screwed up. All my gas stuff is ancient. Do new ones use a computer?

There's a 'spark module' but the diagram on the bottom of the unit doesn't make me think it's a computer.

they all spark every time you light it. much simpler that way rather than having a controller for each.

turn it down from the 'light' setting. high is actually a little down the dial from light.

I was wondering if that wasn't normal and I just never noticed. It doesn't sound any louder than normal. Our switches have no "light" setting - but I can turn them all the way down 'simmer' and they still click.

most likely the lighter module is defective. if you put a match over it, will it light that way?

also, you prob want to have it serviced, as gas may be coming out without your knowledge and all it takes it one spark to go boom.

Yes, they light. There's spark coming from them all.

huh, so when you turn one knob to light, all 6 click(which is normal, atleast on mine) the one you turned on ignites, then you turn it back off the light position and the clicking still clicks?

When I turn it (whichever one I'm testing) off, the clicking stops. But even after lighting, they all keep clicking.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
They should all click when you turn any know. My Jenn-Air does the same thing. However, they should stop clicking once you move it from 'Light'.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
They should all click when you turn any know. My Jenn-Air does the same thing. However, they should stop clicking once you move it from 'Light'.

This

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
from this article it sounds like that's actually a safety feature and designed to continue sparking
http://www.ehow.com/how_7632348_do-electronic-ignition-viking-range.html

As a safety feature, the igniters will spark whenever the knobs are turned to any position but "OFF"

edit:
apparently that feature should turn itself off when a flame is detected
http://www.fixya.com/support/t844482-spark_ignition_continues_spark

edit: try the ground screw?
http://www.fixya.com/support/t1433564-viking_stove_electronic_ignition_keeps

Last edited:

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
My Thermador only sparks the burner you are trying to light, so that may not be the normal operation of sparking all of them

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
We have Wolf range that had the same issue after about 8 years of use. There is a thermocouple that picks up the fact that the burner is on and then shuts off the spark. This is all controlled by the spark module. I had to replace it - not too difficult. It was located in the back of the stove, so I had to pull it away from the wall to affect repair, which was the hardest part (its a heavy son of a bitch). Yes, and they all do spark.

As a side note, shop around for the part. I found a wide range of prices for the same thing.

Ghiedo27

Mar 9, 2011
You can also clean the thermocouple with some compressed air and then some rubbing alcohol. I have a heater that seems to deposit some kind of residue on the thermocouple and it needs to be cleaned every so often.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
from this article it sounds like that's actually a safety feature and designed to continue sparking
http://www.ehow.com/how_7632348_do-electronic-ignition-viking-range.html

edit:
apparently that feature should turn itself off when a flame is detected
http://www.fixya.com/support/t844482-spark_ignition_continues_spark

edit: try the ground screw?
http://www.fixya.com/support/t1433564-viking_stove_electronic_ignition_keeps

I'll give these a shot - thanks.

thermocouple that picks up the fact that the burner is on and then shuts off the spark. This is all controlled by the spark module. I had to replace it - not too difficult...

I've got what appears to be easy access to the spark module - it's just a cooktop rather than a stove.

You can also clean the thermocouple with some compressed air and then some rubbing alcohol. I have a heater that seems to deposit some kind of residue on the thermocouple and it needs to be cleaned every so often.

What will this look like? Are they at the burners or the module inside the unit?

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Awesome.

So I get home last night, armed with a 3-pack of canned air, and fine my cooktop's no longer malfunctioning.

I didn't do anything, now it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.