Garmin or TomTom?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
traffic features almost always (and i cant think of an exception) subscription based. usually 69$/yr

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: LS20
traffic features almost always (and i cant think of an exception) subscription based. usually 69$/yr

Thats fine, I just have to find a unit that can do it well.

how are the C3x0 series? Are they capable of it?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I have a Garmin C320. I have all of SoCal and parts of Arizona and Nevada loaded in it.

I don't know about any traffic routing features...I don't think mine does that. It's very handy for finding places though.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
I have a Garmin C320. I have all of SoCal and parts of Arizona and Nevada loaded in it.

I don't know about any traffic routing features...I don't think mine does that. It's very handy for finding places though.

I know the C330 has preloaded US maps...I think I would get that for long road trips.

I cant tell which are capable of the traffic option.C340, C530, and C550 look like the only ones that can support the traffic option.

:/

how are the navus compared to the C series?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The Nuvi's are lighter and thinner, and the high-end ones have built in Bluetooth speaker phone and MP3 player.

They usually cost a lot more, though.

NoMoMoney

Feb 17, 2005
c550 and Nuvi 660 have the traffic receiver. It is built into the cigarette lighter adapter. Love them both. The 660 has a bigger screen and looks "sleeker". They both use the same GPS chipset. They updated things on the 660 like if you tap the screen while using the navigation screen it auto switches to scroll through the map. The 550 you have to click menu, view or whatever. I would recomend either to anyone. Both have bluetooth, the 660 has a built in FM transmitter taht sucks.

Other things about the 660
- The cig power cord plugs into the base, not the unit. It can plug into the unit as well. So you can take the unit off and leave the cord. The 550 connects to the unit.
- The suction cup on the 660 sucks, you have to use a little spit. The 550 is mUCH better. I switched them
- The 660 you can carry around in your pocket, very sheek
- The wider screen makes it a little easier to type in addresses and things
- The 660 volume control is in the menus whereas the 550 has a dial on the side for sound
- 3 months free for traffic on either to try them out.
- The estimated time is extremly accurate on both units. They have a much better way of calculating time of arrival. Most others (Tom Tom One and Delorme for PC) are horrible at estimating time. When there is traffic it even adds time for expected delays!

Ok, enough said. I like the Garmin's.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Originally posted by: LS20

Thats fine, I just have to find a unit that can do it well.

how are the C3x0 series? Are they capable of it?

Also, not all cities have traffic broadcasts. You have to check to see if it's available in your area.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I've never used TomTom but we're very happy with our Garmin c320.

I've heard the new Garmin Nuvi's are wicked awesome.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Ive got and only used TomTom GO910 and absolutely love it. Cant really compare to Magellan or Garmin.