Garmin Nuvi 200W GPS

freshspace

Mar 23, 2002
I got one today! Thanks a lot. Just to note, this thing is really smart. I had a Digiwalker MIO that I purchased from Radioshack. I went to Microcenter today, and while Digiwalker got me lost before, this one took me straight to it!

dds14u

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: freshspace
I got one today! Thanks a lot. Just to note, this thing is really smart. I had a Digiwalker MIO that I purchased from Radioshack. I went to Microcenter today, and while Digiwalker got me lost before, this one took me straight to it!

You should have had your new Garmin take you to Radioshack to return the Digiwalker in case it got you lost on the way there before. :D

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
Pretty powerful GPS @ 200W.

That won't blow out my cigarette lighter adapter, will it?

jimbofoxman

Nov 28, 2005
Can this be dash or window mounted? I imagine the mount is a separate item?

Edit: I just read on their site it comes with vehicle suction mount....Nevermind. LOL

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
The OP title is somewhat misleading at $139.99 since it needs the coupon to get to that price.
Does the coupon work for any one or you have to be a reward zone member?

dds14u

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: videopho
The OP title is somewhat misleading at $139.99 since it needs the coupon to get to that price.

Best Buy coupons that don't explicitly state that you need to be a reward zone member don't require you to be a member to use them.

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: BenJeremy
Just make sure your car has dual passenger side batteries standard. Should be able to handle it no problem.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: videopho

Are you kidding me?

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: BenJeremy

The 200W is the model number only, being a [W]idescreen version of the Nuvi 200.

:D

Onund

Jul 19, 2007
I'm curious, being widescreen seems like pure marketing to cash in on a current buzz word. For anyone who has used both, does the extra width help?

From my experience, I would think that increased height would be more useful then width, unless they use that width for buttons and info.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Onund
I'm curious, being widescreen seems like pure marketing to cash in on a current buzz word. For anyone who has used both, does the extra width help?

From my experience, I would think that increased height would be more useful then width, unless they use that width for buttons and info.

Garmin doesn't really take advantage of the widescreen like TomTom does. The only thing Garmin actually does with the widescreen is add a qwerty keyboard to those models. TomTom will let you configure almost every aspect of the UI to fit the screen to your preference.

I've been running a Nuvi 760 next to a StreetPilot c580 and the 760's map doesn't show anymore detail or more of the map than the c580 does.

Only reasons I haven't gone with TomTom units at this point:

- Navteq maps are more complete for my area than TeleAtlas's maps.

- None of TomTom's models (AFAIK) automatically turn on when you turn on your car's ignition and turn off when you turn off your car's ignition.

- Garmin's mounting system (for the higher end Nuvis) is much better since the power and traffic receiver plug right into the cradle that the Nuvi docks in.

- Garmin units change the screen from day to night mode based on the time of day / satellite data. TomTom uses a sensor that gets confused easily.l

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
I just got the deal!

Quality device.. make sure you tell them this is a "sale" item and not a "clearance" item.

That was the only issue I had due to verbage, but I was correct in the end.

150 after tax! THUMBS UP!

Matilda

Apr 24, 2006
tele atlas is definitely making steps to become the most accurate map provider. their deal with google i think will ultimately make TA have the best maps. i use a tomtom XL330S and it's been pretty good to me so far.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
In this week's add, BB has the Garmin 200 (not the widescreen 200W) on sale for $149. Since the coupon appears to still be valid, that's $99 + tax OTD.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
In this week's add, BB has the Garmin 200 (not the widescreen 200W) on sale for $149. Since the coupon appears to still be valid, that's $99 + tax OTD.

and on the back page it says you get a free leather case

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
picked up a 200, the widescreen isn't worth the extra cash. the map update takes forever. I guess I could have waited, but I went ahead and did the free update. the normal price for the update is $70 or something, almost as much as the GPS

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: msi1337
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel

and on the back page it says you get a free leather case

I hate my local BB. They wouldn't accept the $50 off coupon, even after I tried speaking with the manager. She claims the head office put a stop to it claiming it was "double-dipping."